NerdyToothpick

How much is too much fruit and whole milk questions.

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Yo Chefman, how long you been in Onederland? 

I think exercise is what allows us to not have to be perfect --- just good. ;)

Since Valentine's day. I fluctuate between 194-199. I'm starting to worry about winter coming and some of these bad habits that I've gotten away with biting me in the butt. I've gotten into some longer rides up to 60 miles and I'm usually between 100-150 miles a week and I take in quite a bit more calories so I don't bottom out on my energy on these rides. It's been harder lately to get the miles in though and as winter gets here that will get worse. I need to get more disciplined with my eating habits sooner than later.

Have you been riding much?

1 hour ago, Cardamom77 said:

I can't have dried mangoes in the house. I will eat them all. 

You and me both - especially the dried mangoes that are dipped in dark chocolate . ...... Master_of_drool_by_tamga-768x1024.thumb.jpg.aaf2c71599693906bb4d83849bd50ef5.jpg

1 hour ago, Chefman77 said:

Since Valentine's day. I fluctuate between 194-199. I'm starting to worry about winter coming and some of these bad habits that I've gotten away with biting me in the butt. I've gotten into some longer rides up to 60 miles and I'm usually between 100-150 miles a week and I take in quite a bit more calories so I don't bottom out on my energy on these rides. It's been harder lately to get the miles in though and as winter gets here that will get worse. I need to get more disciplined with my eating habits sooner than later.

Have you been riding much?

Not riding as much as I would  like. I had a partial tear of my left Achilles' tendon back in June and I had to rest it, so was swimming instead. Never had that kind of injury before. Just came back Wednesday  from a vacation where I had access to a rowing machine so that has been major exercise most recently. My last ride back in late July was pretty good, I averaged 17.0 mph over a course that I was doing 12-14 mph before I lost weight! 

I'm trying to eat just protein bars when I ride longer distances so I can keep up the fat burning. What are you eating to keep from bonking on your rides?

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

What are you eating to keep from bonking on your rides?

I would also like to know this. I don't think I'm at bonking-level rides yet, but they're not far away. ;) 

7 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Not riding as much as I would  like. I had a partial tear of my left Achilles' tendon back in June and I had to rest it, so was swimming instead. Never had that kind of injury before. Just came back Wednesday  from a vacation where I had access to a rowing machine so that has been major exercise most recently. My last ride back in late July was pretty good, I averaged 17.0 mph over a course that I was doing 12-14 mph before I lost weight! 

I'm trying to eat just protein bars when I ride longer distances so I can keep up the fat burning. What are you eating to keep from bonking on your rides?

I ruptured my achilles back in '04. Not a fun injury or something to take lightly.

I've been doing jells, chews, bananas, and fig bars mainly. I do those usually just on rides over 40 miles. It's usually good to fuel about every 40-45 min. 17 mph is a good average. I usually average between 16-18 mph depending on the amount of hills on my route. I did a 50 mile ride in a group back in June and averaged almost 22 mph. Drafting makes a huge difference. I think I'm going to back off on the length of my rides. Maybe keep them between 20-30 miles and stick to protein bars for fuel. I'm going to be doing a 50 in the morning for a local cause.

21 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

I would also like to know this. I don't think I'm at bonking-level rides yet, but they're not far away. ;) 

So Cardamom the "usual" advice is for people to have simple carbohydrates, a banana, etc when they are cycling and need energy, but I am trying to avoid that... make my body work a bit to convert the protein I eat. I take a 200 calorie protein bar (no carbs) and eat half of it after an hour, and the other half when I finish a 2 hour ride. Can't say there is any science behind what I am doing, would have to look up this stuff. What @Chefman77 writes about for his longer rides is what most people do.

At some point with a lot of weight loss, and during active exercise, my guess is that even carbo-rich foods would be ok. 

5 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Oh @Chefman77! How I love a good banana. Monkey people unite!

Just snarfed down a fresh fig. Ahhh, summertime, when the fruit is ripe. I don’t eat a ton of fruit, but I do love it. Better than junk food, in my current opinion.

12 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

What are you eating to keep from bonking on your rides?

Hahaha..."bonking" clearly has a different meaning here in the land down under.

7 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Why Aussie you cause me to blush. 

Bonking while riding a bicycle could lead to .... mayhem.

20 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

So Cardamom the "usual" advice is for people to have simple carbohydrates, a banana, etc when they are cycling and need energy, but I am trying to avoid that... make my body work a bit to convert the protein I eat. I take a 200 calorie protein bar (no carbs) and eat half of it after an hour, and the other half when I finish a 2 hour ride. Can't say there is any science behind what I am doing, would have to look up this stuff. What @Chefman77 writes about for his longer rides is what most people do.

At some point with a lot of weight loss, and during active exercise, my guess is that even carbo-rich foods would be ok. 

So far, I just chill on worrying too much about the carbs I eat on days when I ride more than an hour or so. Not in the sense that I go crazy, but I don't worry about getting in some extra fruit or I might order potatoes on the side of something. There's this place right on the trail that does these AMAZING roasted potatoes and they're an "only when I'm on my bike" treat. :) I can only eat like 3 or 4 of the little things along with the eggs and house cured bacon I order, but it's worth it. Haha! I don't tend to eat while I'm actually riding, but my rides rarely last more than an hour. I take some turkey jerky with me on longer rides (I think my longest so far has been about an hour and a half), so I guess I do something similar to what you do. This morning I'm meeting a friend for breakfast and I decided to park at a trailhead and ride, so YAY I get potatoes! Haha! 

8 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Haha! It can mean that here, too. But then it's also a cycling term that alludes to hitting a wall. Basically not having any energy left and feeling like crap. So the opposite of the "good" meaning. LOL

@BurgundyBoy I'm sure someone in Portland had tried bonking on a bike during that naked ride. But that whole thing looks like mayhem anyway. Hahaha! 

3 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

Haha! It can mean that here, too. But then it's also a cycling term that alludes to hitting a wall. Basically not having any energy left and feeling like crap. So the opposite of the "good" meaning. LOL

@BurgundyBoy I'm sure someone in Portland had tried bonking on a bike during that naked ride. But that whole thing looks like mayhem anyway. Hahaha! 

I'm sure that if I tried to find pictures of bonking on a bike via the internet they would definitely fall into two distinct groups. :)

Like you I tend not to have anything to eat unless my ride is an hour or more. Going back to @NerdyToothpick's thread, I find just a good cold glass of skim milk after a ride is good too!

Oh yeah. Sorry for the MASSIVE thread-jacking, @NerdyToothpick !

On 8/17/2018 at 4:15 PM, Jen581791 said:

Just snarfed down a fresh fig. Ahhh, summertime, when the fruit is ripe. I don’t eat a ton of fruit, but I do love it. Better than junk food, in my current opinion.

@Jen581791

At the risk of sound pretentious, I’d like to share that Croatia has the best figs in the world. Before Katya came around, M and I used to take a yearly vacation to a tiny Island in Croatia. You can walk around and pluck figs fresh off the tree. My mouth is watering just thinking about those figs. 

I also had a fig today. It was at Trader Joe’s and it tasted like wax. :mad:

6 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

Oh yeah. Sorry for the MASSIVE thread-jacking, @NerdyToothpick !

@Cardamom77 Totally unnecessary! Conversations like this make me feel warm and cozy. 

7 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Why Aussie you cause me to blush. 

Bonking while riding a bicycle could lead to .... mayhem.

@Aussie Bear @BurgundyBoy When I played college rugby, one of our drinking songs was about “your mother rides bicycles without seats”. I was not a delicate flower. 

7 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

@Cardamom77 I don’t get the naked bike ride. I really don’t. The last time I rode a bike I remember a ton of discomfort between my legs. I would not like to have that experience while nude. Ow. 

On 7/23/2018 at 6:48 AM, NerdyToothpick said:

I’ve having some trouble maintaining the weight I am happy at, which is between 135-137. I’ve been bloated for a couple of months now and have days when I creep up to 138-140  This is my uncomfortable range  

You say you feel "bloated". I know this "bloated" feeling as well. I am heavier then, however, the fluctuations (both up and down) are really quick so that it's most likely water retention after all. I'd also say that a fluctuation of 3 lbs is not really that much or does the weight creep up so slowly so that it could be in fact "real" weight gain?

@summerset It May be water weight but that idea still messes with my brain. I’m still enough of a newbie to be scared the weight is going to come back. While I know it’s irrational, it nevertheless feels very real. Every time the scale creeps up, I’m terrified that I’ll pack on the pounds.

I probably answered my own question. It isn’t fruit or whole milk that’s causing the problem. My real problem is fear. Is there a surgery for that?

2 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@summerset It May be water weight but that idea still messes with my brain. I’m still enough of a newbie to be scared the weight is going to come back. While I know it’s irrational, it nevertheless feels very real. Every time the scale creeps up, I’m terrified that I’ll pack on the pounds.

I probably answered my own question. It isn’t fruit or whole milk that’s causing the problem. My real problem is fear. Is there a surgery for that?

FWIW, I have that fear too. I don’t know that it’s entirely irrational. The scale crept up before and, because I wasn’t diligent and made excuses about being bloated or it being water weight, I ended up enormous. The best solution I’ve come up with is having a maximum weight that I’ll allow myself to be and a pair of jeans that are an additional gauge for me. The jeans are helpful because it’s something tangible other than just a number on the scale. It seems to be working so far, but god help me if I ever get pregnant again and have to gain weight. Just musing aloud....

I know its not fruit but in IOWA sweet corn season just got over. It lasts about 4-5 weeks. If you haven't had fresh IOWA sweet corn it is hard to fathom why corn would be so hard to keep your hands off. I completely stopped losing weight and I think it's all due to sweet corn on the cob. Luckily for me my exercise kept me from gaining any..... Sweet corn season is now over, so back to my losing ways.

Edited by AustinJ

11 hours ago, AustinJ said:

I know its not fruit but in IOWA sweet corn season just got over. It lasts about 4-5 weeks. If you haven't had fresh IOWA sweet corn it is hard to fathom why corn would be so hard to keep your hands off. I completely stopped losing weight and I think it's all due to sweet corn on the cob. Luckily for me my exercise kept me from gaining any..... Sweet corn season is now over, so back to my losing ways.

That is the way NJ is with tomatoes, but fortunately they are not full of carbs!  Now we are the garden state and grown awesome corn, blueberries and peaches but i am sure your corn is best being Iowa corn. I’ve only had corn once since my surgery and it was local and fresh and delicious but i broke the cob in half before cooking and only ate half and actually had my husband finish the rest of it as it was so filling but delicious!  I have 2 ears of white corn in the fridge today from yesterday’s farm market visit but i will do the same today,  half cob and that is it.  

On 8/18/2018 at 9:20 PM, NerdyToothpick said:

(Yes there is a kind of surgery for this - but you wouldn't like having a lobectomy ...  :eek:   )

Edited by BurgundyBoy
clarity

I never cared for fruit or vegetables but now this summer they appeal to me! Cherries, watermelon, berries and fresh pineapple. I do measure almost always but tend to eat two servings at a time. I've had a few bananas but since one is two servings and high in carbs I try not to consume. When the fruit season is over I hope to cut back on my carb intake but for now it is too delicious. 

@NerdyToothpick just curious to know how many calories you are eating in maintenance?