NerdyToothpick

How much is too much fruit and whole milk questions.

Recommended Posts

I think I already know the answer to these questions but I’d love some feedback and tough love. 

I’ve having some trouble maintaining the weight I am happy at, which is between 135-137. I’ve been bloated for a couple of months now and have days when I creep up to 138-140  This is my uncomfortable range  

It’s summer my greatest weakness is fruit. Apples are meh to me but I’ll eat them. I love mangos, cherries, berries and anything citrus. My nutritionist said that one can eat too much fruit. Is she correct? I desperately want her to be wrong. Could this be my issue with my weight ups and downs?

Do any of you drink whole milk? Are there any drawbacks. I usually drink Fairlife 2% but every so often I buy a bottle of whole milk. Am I sabotaging myself?

Thoughts? I’m not willing to give up my fruit but will reduce my fruit intake if that is the culprit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but depending on how much you’re eating, the fruit might be an issue. It’s good sugars, but it is still sugars and carbs. And the calories can add up. I say either reduce the fruit or increase the exercise and burn it off. And I wouldn’t worry about the occasional whole milk, but I’d suggest being really mindful about how much you’re drinking. 136 calories in 8 oz is pretty calories dense for my taste. Just my thoughts and experience. Do with them what you will....

Edited by athenarose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to stick with low fat milk but the occasional whole milk doesn't phase me. Yoghurt and cheese I go whole fat though! As for fruits, many are best avoided. Here in Australia the catch phrase for fruit is two serves a day. Be warned though that while a serve may be a whole apple, it's a mere 15 grapes. Berries are generally okay, and avoid dried fruit like the plague....they are highly concentrated sugar (a bit like juice is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@athenarose @Aussie Bear 

Thanks for the sobering reality check. I have been eating a ton of fruit. It’s my weakness and we always have fruit in the house. Like, crazy amounts of fruit. I’m embarrassed to admit how much fruit I eat.  I still have the fruit jingle from my youth stuck in my head. Summer summer fruits from California! Fresh from the tree! Taste it you’ll see! Deeeelicious naturaleeeeee! 

Thanks again. 

giphy.gif

Edited by NerdyToothpick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stick with 2% milk.  

I'm another fruit lover but have to keep my hands firmly on the reins because I could graze on it all day.  The cherries here in WA are in full swing and I admit to having 2 cups a day while they're in season (I have a couple of old Bing trees).   

But I like to eat my vegetables raw and generally eat a good 3-4 cups of sliced/grated veggies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t eat a lot of fruit, simply because of the amount of carbs. I truly adore fruit. Most fruit, actually. There aren’t many I don’t like. Last night, while grocery shopping, I bought a beautiful honey crisp apple :D I cut it in half, weighed it, and it was just under 4 ounces for the half I wanted to eat. First time eating that much apple in one sitting, plus I didn’t peel it :o I enjoyed the heck out of that 1/2 apple, and I ate the other half for my morning snack today. I eat fruit probably 2-3 times per week. As diabetics in remission, we need to be super careful with the fruit. Not saying you can’t have some every day, because I’m sure it’s fine. But limit your servings and try to choose lower carb fruits. I don’t usually eat apples, but I’ve been craving them lately. Also make sure you count them in your carb allotment for the day. They do add up quick, but if you substitute some fruit for a different carb, it’ll all come out in the wash. 

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better at all, I could eat crazy amounts of almonds if left to my own devices...especially the SALT AND VINEGAR flavor I just discovered!! Have your fruit, just control the amount you consume ❤️ Keep those blood sugars under control!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cinwa said:

I stick with 2% milk.  

I'm another fruit lover but have to keep my hands firmly on the reins because I could graze on it all day.  The cherries here in WA are in full swing and I admit to having 2 cups a day while they're in season (I have a couple of old Bing trees).   

But I like to eat my vegetables raw and generally eat a good 3-4 cups of sliced/grated veggies.

Oh, cherries...how I love them!! If I had cherry trees on my property, I know I’d have trouble keeping them out of my mouth, lol!

I usually only eat raw veggies too, except the peppers and onions in my stir fry I eat 2-3 times per week. I love cucumbers and tomatoes drizzled with a bit of balsamic vinaigrette...just yum 

44F1D2B4-BA9E-4ACE-B82D-D3B655E2D770.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trish - I have never worried too much about carbs from fruit - it's the carbs from beans and cereals etc. I have to be careful of because more than 11g of carbs will bring on hypoglycemia (something I acquired after my RNY).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, cinwa said:

I stick with 2% milk.  

I'm another fruit lover but have to keep my hands firmly on the reins because I could graze on it all day.  The cherries here in WA are in full swing and I admit to having 2 cups a day while they're in season (I have a couple of old Bing trees).   

But I like to eat my vegetables raw and generally eat a good 3-4 cups of sliced/grated veggies.

Ah cherries! I’m guilty of popping them into my mouth like tic tacks. It doesn’t help matters that the prices here are low. I’m trying hard to resist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

I don’t eat a lot of fruit, simply because of the amount of carbs. I truly adore fruit. Most fruit, actually. There aren’t many I don’t like. Last night, while grocery shopping, I bought a beautiful honey crisp apple :D I cut it in half, weighed it, and it was just under 4 ounces for the half I wanted to eat. First time eating that much apple in one sitting, plus I didn’t peel it :o I enjoyed the heck out of that 1/2 apple, and I ate the other half for my morning snack today. I eat fruit probably 2-3 times per week. As diabetics in remission, we need to be super careful with the fruit. Not saying you can’t have some every day, because I’m sure it’s fine. But limit your servings and try to choose lower carb fruits. I don’t usually eat apples, but I’ve been craving them lately. Also make sure you count them in your carb allotment for the day. They do add up quick, but if you substitute some fruit for a different carb, it’ll all come out in the wash. 

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better at all, I could eat crazy amounts of almonds if left to my own devices...especially the SALT AND VINEGAR flavor I just discovered!! Have your fruit, just control the amount you consume ❤️ Keep those blood sugars under control!!!

@Nana Trish I would not be surprised if my A1c were higher than I’d like it to be. I need to realize that I have a fruit problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CHERRRRRRIEEEEEES! They're cheap here right now, too ($1.49/lb at Aldi) and they're killing me! I try to eat them with some protein and limit myself to like 5 or 6, but the other night I ate about 12 of them and paid for it with major gas pressure. :(


I eat fruit usually once a day. I do try to limit myself to berries, though. Most other fruit gives me the burps pretty bad. 

Edited by Cardamom77
Forgot a sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 12:48 AM, NerdyToothpick said:

I think I already know the answer to these questions but I’d love some feedback and tough love. 

I’ve having some trouble maintaining the weight I am happy at, which is between 135-137. I’ve been bloated for a couple of months now and have days when I creep up to 138-140  This is my uncomfortable range  

It’s summer my greatest weakness is fruit. Apples are meh to me but I’ll eat them. I love mangos, cherries, berries and anything citrus. My nutritionist said that one can eat too much fruit. Is she correct? I desperately want her to be wrong. Could this be my issue with my weight ups and downs?

Do any of you drink whole milk? Are there any drawbacks. I usually drink Fairlife 2% but every so often I buy a bottle of whole milk. Am I sabotaging myself?

Thoughts? I’m not willing to give up my fruit but will reduce my fruit intake if that is the culprit. 

Ah, our struggles with maintenance! 

Suspect it may be water weight associated with the carbos in part in fruit. When I make my whole wheat bread on a regular basis - which means I will eat 150-300 calories a day (2-4 ounces) of this bread - then my weight goes up disproportionate to the calories. 

From the caloric angle the difference between 139 and 136 is only 3 pounds, 10,500 calories; if you cut your calories by 100 a day, it would take you 105 days to get there. (Ok we know the flaws of just thinking calories using the metric of 3500 = 1 lb, but there you have a guess-timate). For a person of your weight a mile of walking = 70 calories, according to the internet; agree with @athenarose why not just walk that extra mile (you know, at 11 pm when all the chores are done and your daughter is asleep ^_^ ) and just drink the 2% stuff?  There is your 100 calories a day, I bet your metabolic set point would barely notice the difference and the few pounds would just melt away...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@Nana Trish I would not be surprised if my A1c were higher than I’d like it to be. I need to realize that I have a fruit problem. 

It's an easy problem to have...especially considering everything we've had to give up...everything we love, to get where we are now...specifically during the activ losing phase. Try your hardest to lower the amount of fruit servings you have per day, but still allow some fruit. It's a tough one, with mixed signals popping up all over the place. Fruit is good..now it's bad...now it's good again!' How can we keep up, when the powers that be supposedly know what's best for us?!? ❤️

Edited by Nana Trish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't feel bad, Nerdy. You are not alone. I too love my fruit! We have an orchard/farm almost within walking distance from my house. They have thee best peaches, strawberries and melons in the state! Right now peaches are in full swing. I eat one small or 1/2 a larger per day. Always with some form of protein such as almonds, cheese or 1/2 protein bar to keep my bs from spiking.

Our local Sams Club has the dark super sweet cherries right now. Like everything else at Sams, you must buy in bulk. They are sooooo good that I had to quit buying them. Hubby and I could easily go through a 3 lb container in 4-5 days. Ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, my name is Lois and I have an addiction...

i love berries with dannon light and fit vanilla Greek yogurt on top.  I also eat the sweet Georgia peaches that way.  I grab an ambrosia apple for snack, it fills me up.   I don’t have problems with weight gain.  I get my protein in as well.  Right now I’m into Michigan blueberries, grew up there and love the berries!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is interesting to me as I've been finding myself "overly interested" in fruit this summer.  I've limited the amounts I've had, but have been very tempted recently and did get into some (too many) amazing Traverse City cherries.  I've always eaten fruit prior to WLS, but there seems to be a new appeal.  I'm wondering if those who posted that they love fruit have always felt that way about it or if it has taken on a new role.  Until recently the sweetest thing I've eaten since surgery is some sautéed onion.  I'm still in the active losing phase so I think I'm going to use this thread as a reminder to lay off the fruit.  Thanks for posting the question @NerdyToothpick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always loved fruit.  I hate veggies. I don’t have an issue gaining weight when I eat fruit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I’m trying very hard to reduce my fruit intake. Oh but mangos are so very hard to resist! I can give up just about anything but fruit calls my name. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I’m trying very hard to reduce my fruit intake. Oh but mangos are so very hard to resist! I can give up just about anything but fruit calls my name. Thanks again!

Must confess to enjoying dried mangoes as a snack, or even in my smoothies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Must confess to enjoying dried mangoes as a snack, or even in my smoothies. 

@BurgundyBoy My husband’s office is next door to Russo’s (a gigantic produce market for those of you not in the greater Boston area) and he regularly brings home boxes of mangoes. I need to tell him to stop but I don’t want to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@BurgundyBoy My husband’s office is next door to Russo’s (a gigantic produce market for those of you not in the greater Boston area) and he regularly brings home boxes of mangoes. I need to tell him to stop but I don’t want to...

I'd just pay off the staff at Russo's to ban him from the mango section. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Must confess to enjoying dried mangoes as a snack, or even in my smoothies. 

I can't have dried mangoes in the house. I will eat them all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @NerdyToothpick I was glad to see this topic come up! I think I'm part monkey because of my love for bananas! I usually eat 1-2 a day either blended in a shake, on a long bike ride for fuel, or as a snack. Sometimes I throw some blueberries in to join the party in the shake. I must admit I haven't been very good about logging things in myfitnesspal lately and have developed some bad habits that I've gotten away with because of all the calories I typically burn in a day. I need to grab onto the reins and get back to some of the things I know I should be doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

Thanks @NerdyToothpick I was glad to see this topic come up! I think I'm part monkey because of my love for bananas! I usually eat 1-2 a day either blended in a shake, on a long bike ride for fuel, or as a snack. Sometimes I throw some blueberries in to join the party in the shake. I must admit I haven't been very good about logging things in myfitnesspal lately and have developed some bad habits that I've gotten away with because of all the calories I typically burn in a day. I need to grab onto the reins and get back to some of the things I know I should be doing.

Yo Chefman, how long you been in Onederland? 

I think exercise is what allows us to not have to be perfect --- just good. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

Thanks @NerdyToothpick I was glad to see this topic come up! I think I'm part monkey because of my love for bananas! I usually eat 1-2 a day either blended in a shake, on a long bike ride for fuel, or as a snack. Sometimes I throw some blueberries in to join the party in the shake. I must admit I haven't been very good about logging things in myfitnesspal lately and have developed some bad habits that I've gotten away with because of all the calories I typically burn in a day. I need to grab onto the reins and get back to some of the things I know I should be doing.

Oh @Chefman77! How I love a good banana. Monkey people unite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now