ysarizona

Gastric By Pass Reversal

Does anyone have any experience with a By Pass Reversal?

If you do a search here you will find some threads on bypass reversal. I'm pretty sure though that none of the currently active members have had one. I had an original surgery (30+ years ago) that anatomically was similar to a bypass but didn't include the malabsorption part of the bypass. Initially I was offered a reversal which came with the very strong warning that I would gain weight....and likely a very large amount of it. During the presurgical stages I had to undergo a second endoscopy (my issues were found during a standard one about 12 months earlier). The purpose of it was to take accurate measurements of my pouch. I'm sure you would realise that a major part of the reversal is to take out the stapleline and rejoin the pouch to the remnant stomach. In my case it was deemed that there simply wasn't enough distance between the lower esophageal sphincter and the stapleline to be able to make the join. In other words my original surgery was irreversible. Instead I ended up having to have a revision to a full bypass. I've been told that the only way that will be reversible is if I manage over time to stretch the pouch enough to give them extra room.....not something I'd even consider.

I gather from your current stats that your reasoning for considering reversal is that you've lost more weight than you'd like and are struggling to gain it back. I wish you only the best in finding the right answer for yourself to address your issues. That's a decision that only you can make.

The reversal of any type of surgery is not easy and may not be successful (that is, cause you additional issues).  If you're want to gain a bit of weight just adding carbohydrates incrementally should do it.  If you are having digestive issues then you should have a discussion with your personal MD and your bariatric surgeon.  

Thank you for the comments, I truly appreciate it.  My main reason for considering a complete reversal is I continue to have ulcers at the suture site; & because of this the pain is horrific & I lose additional weight because I only consume broth. My original surgery was 12/2009 & I've had ulcers ever since to the point I've been hospitalized several times due to pain & weakness.  I don't like the thought of additional surgery but at this point I can't deal with the ulcer pain & this last go round 2 months ago, I now have a hernia after constant throwing up due to ulcer pain.  If anyone has an idea what I might be able to do rather than a complete reversal I would like to hear additional ideas.

Thanks again.

I strongly suggest that you consult a couple of different surgeons to see what your options are short of a complete reversal. Living with such pain should not be an acceptable option. 

We are here to support you. 

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the encouragement .