Kayla7274

Quick question about gastric bypass

I’m on my way to get the gastric bypass, my question is about the amount of weight I might lose. Im currently 219 pounds. My surgeon wants me to get down to 214 before surgery. 

It varies from person to person, but if i remember correctly, the general estimate is 70-80% of your excess weight. I essentially lost all my excess weight (currently about 134 lbs, 21% body fat). Are you concerned about losing too much or are you just trying to get an idea of what is potentially in store? 

I’m a little worried about losing too much 

Do not worry about losing too much weight. For almost everyone with a bypass it is easy to stop weight loss by adding (healthy) calories and carbs to your daily diet. The far greater risk is weight regain after reaching your goal weight. 

I’m also worried about regain lol. I’m just so nervous about the whole thing 

1 minute ago, Kayla7274 said:

I’m also worried about regain lol. I’m just so nervous about the whole thing 

hi @Kayla7274

Average loss from a bypass is 70-80%. Unusual (maybe 5% of people) to lose all your excess weight and get to a normal BMI; this Forum and others will of course have people who have managed to do it, but the average is 70-80%. The average includes people who don't have social support, who don't follow the diet, who don't get any exercise, and who continue to save psychiatric or psychological issues that they have not addressed. The surgery works for lots of people, and you get out of it what you put in. It is NOT rocket science and it is NOT luck that is involved, you just have the surgery done and follow the rules. If you forget a rule and eat too much or too little... you dust yourself off, and just do the right thing again. What is so marvelous is that it really is that straightforward. 

Average weight regain is perhaps 5% of excess weight 2-3 years after surgery. Look at the charts provided by your surgical team. People may slack off from their diets and well they regain a little bit. The health benefits are of course amazing. 

This is the time to let your brain run the show, not your emotions. Everyone is a bit nervous, it's normal, but you are worrying about the extreme and unusual things that could happen, not thinking about the most likely results. If you have some social support, follow the diet, and have your psych issues addressed on an ongoing basis, you will be fine. Exercise is not necessary for loss but it does predict a lower final BMI - a bit more than 2 points - at the end of the day, even if you only get modest and minimal amounts of exercise. I wanted a BMI of 23.5 as my goal, but I am about a BMI of 26. Works for me. 

For me to gain my 100 lost pounds I would have eat a lot more calories than would be comfortable, and to lose more I will have to really up my game. Neither of these will be very easy for me. I think it's that way for most people. 

Just by way of comparison, your risk of surgery is about 1-2 per thousand in terms of death. Your lifetime risk of dying in a car accident is about 1 in 650. But you get in a car, right? You put on a seat belt and don't drive 100 mph all the time? That reduces your risk. If terms of weight loss surgery, just have social support in place, follow the diet, have your psych issues addressed, and you will be a happy camper without suffering the very unusual problems of excess weight loss or no weight loss. 

Everything @BurgundyBoy said. 1000%. Just take it one step at a time. Try not to get stuck in your head, worrying about stuff that hasn’t happened. Right now, focus on preparing for surgery. After surgery, focus on sticking to your diet and creating a new lifestyle with healthier habits. Once you hit your goal, then you can focus on maintenance and, if losing too much becomes an issue, you can address it then. We’re happy to be here, supporting you each step of the way. It’ll all be ok. :)

17 hours ago, Kayla7274 said:

I’m a little worried about losing too much 

Kayla - you're having your WLS because you have pseudotumor cerebri.  This is a small study but it's worth a read:  Gastric Surgery for Pseudotumor Cerebri Associated With Severe Obesity

Thank you so much @cinwa my pseudo tumor is my main reason for wanting the surgery.  I have constant terrible headaches everyday and my vision is changing