Hello everyone, my name is Kayla, I’m 29 and I’m new here. I’m in the process of moving towards getting a gastric bypass. I’m 5 foot 4 and weight 220lbs. My BMI is 38, the only reason they are going to do the surgery is because I have a pseudo tumor cerebri. I’m very nervous for surgery but I’m super excited 

Welcome to Thinner Times Kayla!

Welcome Kayla!

Thank you guys!! 

Welcome!  We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.

Welcome, Kayla! Congrats on getting the process underway - it’s such a life changing decision to make :) no regrets from me at all. So many positive changes in my life.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:30 PM, Kayla7274 said:

Hello everyone, my name is Kayla, I’m 29 and I’m new here. I’m in the process of moving towards getting a gastric bypass. I’m 5 foot 4 and weight 220lbs. My BMI is 38, the only reason they are going to do the surgery is because I have a pseudo tumor cerebri. I’m very nervous for surgery but I’m super excited 

HI Kayla, the pseudo tumor may be "the" reason but with a BMI of 38 you will avoid SOOOO many problems with a lower weight. Mine was also about 38 when I had my surgery, but my joints were worn out, I had sleep apnea, and my BP and blood sugars were very, um, borderline. I am so glad I had my surgery. 

@BurgundyBoy I also have sleep apnea and I’m prediabetic. My feet are constantly killing me and I’m always exhausted. I’m ready for a healthier life 

On 7/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, Kayla7274 said:

@BurgundyBoy I also have sleep apnea and I’m prediabetic. My feet are constantly killing me and I’m always exhausted. I’m ready for a healthier life 

I sleep through the night now pretty frequently. I no longer wake up with a racing heart in the middle of the night. In retrospect my sleep apnea was much worse than I allowed myself to believe, and I was always exhausted too from having poor and choppy sleep. 

My hemoglobin A1c is dead normal and my fasting glucoses are dead normal, no longer in the "high normal - prediabetic" range.

Hips, back, knees, and plantar fascia of my feet were in pretty bad shape. Often I wake up now with NO PAIN and I stopped using a cane 2 months ago. 

You have so much to look forward to now!

@BurgundyBoy that’s amazing! I’m so glad you’ve experienced so many good things from surgery!!  

Makes me super excited for mine 

4 minutes ago, Kayla7274 said:

@BurgundyBoy that’s amazing! I’m so glad you’ve experienced so many good things from surgery!!  

Makes me super excited for mine 

B.E.S.T. T.H.I.N.G. I have ever done for myself.  You may be too recent to TTF, but in the past I went online and calculated my lifespan based on weight, height, habits, health, etc. My lifespan was estimated to increase by 14 years by having the changes with my surgery. 

Not much you can do to increase life by that long. In my case, it doubled the time estimated for me (went from 14 more years to 28). 

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

B.E.S.T. T.H.I.N.G. I have ever done for myself. 

This. A thousand times over. @Kayla7274 one of the things you’ll hear over and over is how people wish they would’ve had surgery sooner or hadn’t waited so long. You’re 29. You still have so much life ahead of you and this surgery is going to improve your quality of life in SO many ways. I’m glad I had my surgery when I did, but looking back, part of me wishes I would’ve done it sooner only because my life is so much better now. I wasn’t necessarily missing out before, but everything has improved immensely. The best comparison I have is going through life with bad vision and then getting glasses. Everything was fine before, but it’s freaking awesome now. WLS is the best decision I’ve ever made. Hands down, without question.

Welcome @Kayla7274! I agree with everyone above. Best decision I have ever made. 

Thank you guys so much @athenarose @BurgundyBoy @NerdyToothpick  I was on the fence about the surgery but now talking to you guys I’ve decided to go through it! I have a few more steps to take in my program through Kaiser before they will schedule surgery and I can’t wait!!

Hi @Kayla7274!  Just over a year ago, I was in the exact same place...on the fence.  This forum was where I found people who were serious about changing their habits and making the most of this surgical opportunity.  I found the confidence to succeed here.  I'm so glad I made the decision to go for it.  I'm not at goal yet, but my life has changed in so many ways.  I just tried stand-up paddle boarding this week, which I still can't believe!

You are making a wonderful, life-changing decision.  The pre-op diet and the eating phases after the surgery, along with the recovery, seem like a such a short time, in retrospect, compared to just living a better, more comfortable, active life now.  You can do it too!

Edited by kayak19

2 minutes ago, kayak19 said:

I'm not at goal yet,

@kayak19 I just looked at your stats and you’ve lost nearly half of your starting weight!!!!! Stunning success. You’re closing in on your GW :D Good for you.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:52 PM, Jen581791 said:

@kayak19 I just looked at your stats and you’ve lost nearly half of your starting weight!!!!! Stunning success. You’re closing in on your GW :D Good for you.

Thank you!  Getting closer...

On 7/26/2018 at 12:11 PM, Kayla7274 said:

Thank you guys so much @athenarose @BurgundyBoy @NerdyToothpick  I was on the fence about the surgery but now talking to you guys I’ve decided to go through it! I have a few more steps to take in my program through Kaiser before they will schedule surgery and I can’t wait!!

Like you, I was on the lower end of the BMI scale and compared to most folks on the forum, I didn’t have much to lose. I’ve lost 85 + pounds (it depends on the time of the month, salt intake, etc) and my health has improved. I am a T2 diabetic and was off all insulin when I left the hospital and stopped taking all meds 9 days after surgery. 

Once again, it’s the best decision I have ever made. Good luck!!!

@NerdyToothpick that’s so awesome! Congrats on being off insulin and the other meds! What was your BMI when you had surgery? If you don’t mind me asking 

On 7/20/2018 at 8:29 PM, Kayla7274 said:

I also have sleep apnea and I’m prediabetic. My feet are constantly killing me and I’m always exhausted. I’m ready for a healthier life 

Welcome, Kayla! And congratulations on taking your first steps toward a new life. I'm a newbie, and just had surgery the last day of February, so I am still on my way down in weight. I was nervous too, and I had never had anesthesia or surgery, but I can tell you that I am SO GLAD I did it! I have had sleep apnea for years, my feet hurt every day, I was exhausted, and I had no hope in my heart for a healthy future. 

Today, not even 6 months after surgery, I no longer have sleep apnea, my feet feel great, I have tons of energy, and best of all, I'm SO happy about my present and future life! 

This forum is so great, there are so many wise and kind and caring people here. It is a great resource. Keep us updated on how you are doing! 

On 8/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, Kayla7274 said:

@NerdyToothpick that’s so awesome! Congrats on being off insulin and the other meds! What was your BMI when you had surgery? If you don’t mind me asking 

@Kayla7274

I had to calculate my BMI because I had forgotten! My BMI was 33 at the time of surgery. I went ahead and paid out of pocket for the surgery because I had insulin resistant diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. All gone!