JenniferJT

Any other painkillers besides Tylenol?

I am missing Advil. Are there any other painkillers we can use besides Tylenol? Tylenol just doesn’t work for me and I am in a lot of pain. 

So sorry that you are in pain. Is it inflammatory pain? Chronic or acute? Your best bet would be to check with your bariatric team. I am a chronic pain patient and there are pain meds that I take safely and approved by my bariatric team through my pain management Dr.

11 hours ago, JenniferJT said:

I am missing Advil. Are there any other painkillers we can use besides Tylenol? Tylenol just doesn’t work for me and I am in a lot of pain. 

I deal with chronic pain with acute flare ups. I find what works best for me is medical grade cannabis. The oil form helps me manage the inflammation, muscle cramps, and pain levels. I only use the high CBD oil (very very little THC), and dried cannabis during the acute times. In my experience, it has the least amount of side effects, easy on the stomach, and I love that it doesn't make me 'high'. Might be something worth talking about with your doctor if your interested and are having trouble finding alternatives. 

I'm sorry you're dealing with severe pain Jennifer.

It really is best to see your PCP about prescription non-NSAID pain medication because other than Acetaminophen, there really isn't any OTC pain medication available to gastric bypass patients.

My surgeon always prescribed Percocet (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen) following surgeries and would prefer not to take it but there really isn't a suitable alternative.  Tramadol works for some people but for me, it didn't bring the relief that Percocet does.

19 minutes ago, cinwa said:

My surgeon always prescribed Percocet (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen) following surgeries and would prefer not to take it but there really isn't a suitable alternative.  Tramadol works for some people but for me, it didn't bring the relief that Percocet does.

I still have some of this left from my surgery 7 months ago and it's what I end up taking very occasionally at bedtime when I have severe pain from either menstrual cramps or a lot of exercise. Only at bedtime though. I can't function on it. During the day, I just deal. :( 

1 hour ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

I deal with chronic pain with acute flare ups. I find what works best for me is medical grade cannabis. The oil form helps me manage the inflammation, muscle cramps, and pain levels. I only use the high CBD oil (very very little THC), and dried cannabis during the acute times. In my experience, it has the least amount of side effects, easy on the stomach, and I love that it doesn't make me 'high'. Might be something worth talking about with your doctor if your interested and are having trouble finding alternatives. 

Medical cannabis is sloooooooowly going through here (voters voted for it, but the state is dragging a$$ getting the licensing sorted) and I'm hoping to be able to access it. I do have one of the conditions it can be used for here (PTSD), but I can imagine it would be useful for many pain issues I deal with. I have zero interest in regularly taking opioids. I have had family members suffer from opioid dependency issues and I don't want to go down that road. Arkansas has an awful opioid epidemic currently and medical cannabis will make a huge difference. I know we can get non-THC CBD oil here currently, but it's very expensive and I'm reluctant to try it. Can't exactly spend my HSA on it. Haha! Though there's probably a provision against spending my HSA on medical cannabis, too. Ugh. I hate that there are these barriers to treatment for those of us that have zero interest in being high, but would really like to be able to access these medications. 

7 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

I still have some of this left from my surgery 7 months ago and it's what I end up taking very occasionally at bedtime when I have severe pain from either menstrual cramps or a lot of exercise. Only at bedtime though. I can't function on it. During the day, I just deal. :( 

Medical cannabis is sloooooooowly going through here (voters voted for it, but the state is dragging a$$ getting the licensing sorted) and I'm hoping to be able to access it. I do have one of the conditions it can be used for here (PTSD), but I can imagine it would be useful for many pain issues I deal with. I have zero interest in regularly taking opioids. I have had family members suffer from opioid dependency issues and I don't want to go down that road. Arkansas has an awful opioid epidemic currently and medical cannabis will make a huge difference. I know we can get non-THC CBD oil here currently, but it's very expensive and I'm reluctant to try it. Can't exactly spend my HSA on it. Haha! Though there's probably a provision against spending my HSA on medical cannabis, too. Ugh. I hate that there are these barriers to treatment for those of us that have zero interest in being high, but would really like to be able to access these medications. 

Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later - They are going to allow us to grow some plants for personal use here once it becomes legalized for all, which I think is pretty neat. A one month refill for me would be 400 dollars if I took my full script amount daily, so I know it is going to save a lot of folks some hard earned moula. P.S. it does help with the menstrual cramps also - so I hope you get the chance to try some to help with that. Takes a bit of experimenting to find the right mix, but in my experience it has been worth it. Really helps you manage the pain. 

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

On 7/14/2018 at 8:48 PM, JenniferJT said:

You may find that in the NSAID class, ones that are COX-2 inhibitors may work. (see, for example, https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/pharmacological/non-opioids/ask-expert-nsaids-after-bariatric-surgery - note that combining them with acid blockers may be helpful too). Perhaps someone on the TTF may have personal experience. 

Agree CBD oil (from cannabis) may be pretty safe, not known to induce ulcers or other stomach problems.