CelticGirl

Can you have too much protein?

Recommended Posts

On 7/22/2018 at 4:13 AM, cinwa said:

My arms get a lot of exercise and I've got pretty good biceps.  Some of my skin shrank but not enough for me to go sleeveless.  

Thanks for your input @cinwa I was afraid of that. Men have all the luck! :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE:  3 week slump over. It happened the day after my first month surgaversay. My body began expelling liquids again and the other by itself. YAY. Weighed in this morning after  my fifth week and was down another 3 lbs. So it lasted about a week and half. 

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement!

Edited by CelticGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Ok I guess the confession now... no bat wings for me on the arms. but I have pretty impressive bat upper thighs now. Muscles on the legs from the exercise and weight loss, and then this hilarious wobbly bat thigh stuff. Spandex, spandex, I worship you...

I too have a confession, when I was looking at the outer part of my arms they were resting on the arms of a chair, so no cottage cheese. Duh. Last night I put on a sleeveless dress because it was so damn hot. Lo and behold, the cottage cheese is still there! Argh! Can you say; Knucklehead? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to piggy back this if that's ok? Can we do a liquid protein? I cant get enough in so I was wondering if we can do a liquid protein?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

I want to piggy back this if that's ok? Can we do a liquid protein? I cant get enough in so I was wondering if we can do a liquid protein?? 

Lots of us use a protien shake months or even years out. My surgeon doesn't approve because he wants us to use dense protien only. While I understand his reasoning for this, it doesn't get me where I need to be, so I still drink some protien everyday and don't anticipate this changing anytime soon. Even with this liquid protien my protien blood levels are still lower than the normal range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aussie Bear said:

Lots of us use a protien shake months or even years out. My surgeon doesn't approve because he wants us to use dense protien only. While I understand his reasoning for this, it doesn't get me where I need to be, so I still drink some protien everyday and don't anticipate this changing anytime soon. Even with this liquid protien my protien blood levels are still lower than the normal range.

I mean other than the premiere protein. Like a liquid protein from a GNC store. I cant get the premiere protein down. I'm not meeting my protein intake and I think I can with liquid protein from GNC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jenn42606 said:

I mean other than the premiere protein. Like a liquid protein from a GNC store. I cant get the premiere protein down. I'm not meeting my protein intake and I think I can with liquid protein from GNC. 

You mean like other brands? You can use any brand of protein shakes you like. Ideally, you want a whey isolate if you eat dairy or egg white protein if you don’t/can’t eat dairy (my personal trainer loves the Jay Robb brand). There’s also some vegan options but I’m not sure which is best. You can also mix the unflavored Unjury protein powder into yogurt or fairlife milk if you don’t find a protein shake you can stand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

I want to piggy back this if that's ok? Can we do a liquid protein? I cant get enough in so I was wondering if we can do a liquid protein?? 

As a non-meat or egg eater (I eat fish and shellfish but don't want it for every meal), at over 10 years out, I still use protein powder (with milk) to keep my protein intake up.  And I also like some of the Isopure bottled drinks (Cocotein, Green Tea and Black Tea).  They're a little strong for me as is so I dilute them with water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018 at 5:29 PM, Jenn42606 said:

I mean other than the premiere protein. Like a liquid protein from a GNC store. I cant get the premiere protein down. I'm not meeting my protein intake and I think I can with liquid protein from GNC. 

@Jenn42606 Go to your binder from Dr. Callary. It will state what you need in a protein drink. (high protein and under 10 grms of sugar per serving) I haven't tried the Premiere Protein yet, but just bought it because it was $20.00 at Costco and the Whey shake I was buying is $45.00. I mix my powder with Fat Free milk to get more protein, plus I hate the taste of water.  If you get a pre-mixed drink you can bet it's mixed with water.

Was the drink you tried chocolate? I prefer vanilla in my protein drinks. I find they're sweeter.  

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CelticGirl said:

@Jenn42606 Go to your binder from Dr. Callary. It will state what you need in a protein drink. (high protein and under 10 grms of sugar per serving) I haven't tried the Premiere Protein yet, but just bought it because it was $20.00 at Costco and the Whey shake I was buying is $45.00. I mix my powder with Fat Free milk to get more protein, plus I hate the taste of water.  If you get a pre-mixed drink you can bet it's mixed with water.

Was the drink you tried chocolate? I prefer vanilla in my protein drinks. I find they're sweeter.  

Good luck!

Ok so I'm doing good on my protein now. I have more energy now. I use premier protein. Bananas and cream, strawberries and cream, and the vanilla one. I just bought the peach one so I haven't tried that one yet. I'm not big on chocolate. I was having a hard time drinking the shakes but now I'm good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 11:59 AM, Jenn42606 said:

Ok so I'm doing good on my protein now. I have more energy now. I use premier protein. Bananas and cream, strawberries and cream, and the vanilla one. I just bought the peach one so I haven't tried that one yet. I'm not big on chocolate. I was having a hard time drinking the shakes but now I'm good. 

Great! So glad to hear it.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 11:59 AM, Jenn42606 said:

Ok so I'm doing good on my protein now. I have more energy now. I use premier protein. Bananas and cream, strawberries and cream, and the vanilla one. I just bought the peach one so I haven't tried that one yet. I'm not big on chocolate. I was having a hard time drinking the shakes but now I'm good. 

@Jenn42606 OMG, just had the Premier Protein for the first time. Nasty stuff! I have vanilla but I don't taste it. The stuff tastes like cardboard. Did I mention it's thick? Yuck. I don't know how you're choking this stuff down unless you've never had any protein drinks and thought this is what you had to endure. So sorry. :(

I'm going back to COSTCO and getting my 100% Whey even if it is 3 times the price!:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CelticGirl said:

@Jenn42606 OMG, just had the Premier Protein for the first time. Nasty stuff! I have vanilla but I don't taste it. The stuff tastes like cardboard. Did I mention it's thick? Yuck. I don't know how you're choking this stuff down unless you've never had any protein drinks and thought this is what you had to endure. So sorry. :(

I'm going back to COSTCO and getting my 100% Whey even if it is 3 times the price!:o

Different strokes for different folks for sure. It’s interesting that you think it’s thick because I think it’s really watery. Lol.  But yeah, I think it’s yuck too. But I agree, there’s so many different options out there, there’s no reason to suck down nasty shakes. FWIW, I lost all my excess weight (and have maintained for a year and a half) without drinking protein shakes at all. There are other ways to get protein, even during the liquid only stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CelticGirl said:

@Jenn42606 OMG, just had the Premier Protein for the first time. Nasty stuff! I have vanilla but I don't taste it. The stuff tastes like cardboard. Did I mention it's thick? Yuck. I don't know how you're choking this stuff down unless you've never had any protein drinks and thought this is what you had to endure. So sorry. :(

I'm going back to COSTCO and getting my 100% Whey even if it is 3 times the price!:o

I like the strawberry and the banana ones. I dont think they are thick I think they are watery. Everyone is different tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

I like the strawberry and the banana ones. I dont think they are thick I think they are watery. Everyone is different tho. 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, athenarose said:

Different strokes for different folks for sure. It’s interesting that you think it’s thick because I think it’s really watery. Lol.  But yeah, I think it’s yuck too. But I agree, there’s so many different options out there, there’s no reason to suck down nasty shakes. FWIW, I lost all my excess weight (and have maintained for a year and a half) without drinking protein shakes at all. There are other ways to get protein, even during the liquid only stage.

@athenarose Maybe it's thick because I mix it with milk for the added protein and because I hate the watery taste.

Wow, you've done really great!  You're an inspiration. You're right, now that I'm approved to add more foods it's much easier to get my protein in. 

I've been drinking protein drinks for breakfast since high school, I guess it's part of my routine. So I'll continue with the one a day. I guess I'm lucky that my favorite one is approved by my doctor.  

Thank you so much for your input,

Karen

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now