Ladybugzzz86

Blood work

So went to see my family doc yesterday. Had some not so good labs, mainly iron and liver. But I still left that office with a huge smile on my face because for the first time in over 15 years, I had a 'normal' A1C!!!!!! Wth? Can you repeat that please? Lol

Beyond happy about this. It has been SO long since my diabetes has been managed. The iron? Well I will work on that through diet, I dont want more pills, and for sure dont want to use that as a first option. I am kind of glad it is low because it does explain the lethargy, low BP, and orthostatic hypotension I have been experiencing. 

Otherwise, there is a super happy Bugzzzy here lol

33 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

for the first time in over 15 years, I had a 'normal' A1C!!!!!!

Yayyyyyyyy for you!!!! 

giphy.gif

Daaang! So happy for you! :) 

I just got my first bloodwork back, too, and all is normal. Well, my B12 is a little high, so I'm being cut back to an every-other-day supplement, but that's better than a deficiency. High five!!

@kristinwitha_k good for you! I am so proud of us :D That, to me, means even more than what the scale is saying right now - amputations were a big fear of mine that I now have the potential to avoid. And you are right, higher is better than lower - and much easier to fix by the sounds of it! 

1 hour ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

@kristinwitha_k good for you! I am so proud of us :D That, to me, means even more than what the scale is saying right now - amputations were a big fear of mine that I now have the potential to avoid. And you are right, higher is better than lower - and much easier to fix by the sounds of it! 

Huge, just huge. Life is never the same after you've had to have a toe, or foot, or leg removed. Congrats, congrats, congrats!

Tyvm @BurgundyBoy :) you are spot on! Just seen someone from my past last week, poor guy (huge sweetheart) Is now around 500#, in a wheelchair, with his leg recently amputated. Just wanted to reach out and hug him. I wish he was offered the same opportunity as us here at TT. Obesity doesn't have to be a death sentence. :/

2 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

As a diabetic for 18 years I was terrified of losing body parts.  While I was jumping through hoops for wls I scrapped a toe, it got severely infected, I was on mega doses of antibiotics, dr thought I might lose it.  But thank god after 6 weeks of anti biopics I was ok.  I had a good friend lose a leg just before I had wls, then she ended up with gangrene and they couldn’t amputate anymore and she ended up dying (also a diabetic).  I am greatful for every day!

congrats on the A1C!

Thanks @Cheesehead - and I am sorry to hear about your friend. It is a sad reality, that seems to be more and more common. Prevention truly is the key in treating diabetes IMO. Glad you are out of the danger zone too :) Sounds like a scary experience 

14 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

So went to see my family doc yesterday. Had some not so good labs, mainly iron and liver. But I still left that office with a huge smile on my face because for the first time in over 15 years, I had a 'normal' A1C!!!!!! Wth? Can you repeat that please? Lol

Beyond happy about this. It has been SO long since my diabetes has been managed. The iron? Well I will work on that through diet, I dont want more pills, and for sure dont want to use that as a first option. I am kind of glad it is low because it does explain the lethargy, low BP, and orthostatic hypotension I have been experiencing. 

Awesome news about your Hemoglobin A1C!!!!  

Btw, i am severely anemic and i take two iron rxs a day with 2 stool softeners (which is necessary with them!). The one odd thing that happens when i am really low is i want to eat ice like it is food.  It is a form of pica which i always was trained to think that was eating stuff that wasn’t food (like sand or grass or chalk etc) but evidently ice is one of those things and that is what i get really badly when my iron is super low!  Weird, right?  I can’t eat enough iron rich foods w/ my sleeve so i am just resigned to taking supplements forever like i take all of my other supplements forever!

So happy for you and your diabetes control! :)  

Awesome news, Bugzzzy!!!! And don't think even for a minute that your new avatar escaped my notice. You are truly looking good!!!

Great news on the A1C @Ladybugzzz86. Don't worry too much about the iron for now as long as your other iron markers are okay which presumably they are given you're allowed to try to self correct via diet. Mine fell really low about 4 months ago and a quick and simple infusion took it right back to where it should be. Went from 7 back up to 18 in one 15 minute infusion. I'll need another in a few months as mine was already back down to 13 in my last blood  tests about a month ago. It is so much simpler, plus far easier on the stomach to have infusions when needed than worry about taking more supplements.  I no longer absorb iron, but taking iron supplements in my circumstances is not only pointless but also contraindicated for a number of reasons. In my case it's also cheaper to have the infusion than to purchase supplements. Even if you eventually decide you need to supplement I'd recommend an infusion to boost you up to where you need to be as it can take ages to get iron up to a normal level by supplements alone. Having a raised B12 level is really a non-event @kristinwitha_k Mine are always high as I have a 3 monthly injection and have done since surgery. If only dealing with hormone deficiencies was as simple....

Edited by Aussie Bear

23 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Most people with iron deficiency need 150-200 mg per day of elemental iron but it isn't likely that you're going to be able to come close to eating enough iron-rich foods to get on top of your iron-deficiency anemia LB.

Clams are one of the highest of iron rich foods but at 28 mg of iron per 3.5 oz (it varies considerably), you're going to have to eat a minimum of 6 x 3.5 oz servings/day.

Hands down, carbonyl and polysaccharide have 100% elemental iron so you get what you take and are the least abdominally distressing (unlike ferrous fumarate (33% elemental iron), ferrous sulfate (20% elemental iron) and ferrous gluconate (12% elemental iron).

10 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

The one odd thing that happens when i am really low is i want to eat ice like it is food.  It is a form of pica which i always was trained to think that was eating stuff that wasn’t food

Happens to me as well.  Decades ago as a student, a wise old surgeon told me "if you ever have a patient who is craving ice, check their hemoglobin".  I thought he was crackers until it happened to me with my first pregnancy.  As I learned recently, even when my hemoglobin is normal, I crave ice when my stored iron is low.  Crazy.  And by crave I mean waking up during the night needing a "fix" kind of crave.  So strange.  But it is nice to have that built-in sign that my iron is edging downward.

Thanks @CheeringCJ, @Readytobeme, @cinwa, @Aussie Bear - appreciate all your comments :) I realize I may not be able to do it by diet alone, but would like to try it first.   No cravings for ice yet lol, but my bp was 92/62 this evening, so I do need to watch it. The doc didn't seem too concerned, and said trying to adjust my diet would be a more than reasonable first approach. My only real concern is the possibility of a bleed of course where I am on high doses of the blood clotting meds. Oh, and I take two stomach meds ppis which affect iron absorption too, something that can be adjusted IMO. 

I never realized just how much iron is in carb laden foods, like cereals. But soy beans, red lean meat, muscles, lentils, wheat bran, chickpeas - are just some of the things I am going to start incorporating into my diet. And adding some vit c while cooking will help with the absorption even more. At least I can say I tried, even if it isn't enough :) looking into prenatal vitamins too for the fun of it.... Could be a possibility. 

I am having a heck of a time taking my meds and vitamins as well. Only because I have to take the PPI by itself. Then I have to take the synthroid by itself. Hours out both ways from my vitamins. Sometimes it feels like I spend the entire day taking pills.

I actually was setting the clock for 3am in order to get thyroid med out of the way. That way i could take my PPI at 8am when I get up. This way I can start taking my multi and calcium at noon. sigh.

4 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Thanks @CheeringCJ, @Readytobeme, @cinwa, @Aussie Bear - appreciate all your comments :) I realize I may not be able to do it by diet alone, but would like to try it first.   No cravings for ice yet lol, but my bp was 92/62 this evening, so I do need to watch it. The doc didn't seem too concerned, and said trying to adjust my diet would be a more than reasonable first approach. My only real concern is the possibility of a bleed of course where I am on high doses of the blood clotting meds. Oh, and I take two stomach meds ppis which affect iron absorption too, something that can be adjusted IMO. 

I never realized just how much iron is in carb laden foods, like cereals. But soy beans, red lean meat, muscles, lentils, wheat bran, chickpeas - are just some of the things I am going to start incorporating into my diet. And adding some vit c while cooking will help with the absorption even more. At least I can say I tried, even if it isn't enough :) looking into prenatal vitamins too for the fun of it.... Could be a possibility. 

Iron IMO is a complete PITA to get in and there are so many variables at play when it comes to absorption, eg iron in meat supposedly absorbs better than plant based iron, vitamin C helps absorption while calcium opposes it etc. My surgeon didn't bat an eyelid when he saw how low mine got, just said to go straight for infusion because it raises levels quickly and bypasses the digestive system altogether by going straight into the blood stream. I'm happy with that as it looks like it will just be every 6 months or so. Anaemia doesn't come into play for me because my blood cells hang onto their iron rather than releasing it.  That said my surgeon is aware of the digestive distress I have already (diverticular disease is the culprit there I suspect) without throwing iron supplements into the mix, along with having genetic haemochromatosis which definitely contraindicates iron supplementation as does the diverticular disease. When I looked into it I had all of the major contraindicated conditions for iron supplementation.  Expecting my first ever visit to an endocrinologist next month will be a doozy given my recent blood panels are all over the place and I'm taking my supplements to the letter.

8 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Iron IMO is a complete PITA to get in and there are so many variables at play when it comes to absorption, eg iron in meat supposedly absorbs better than plant based iron, vitamin C helps absorption while calcium opposes it etc. My surgeon didn't bat an eyelid when he saw how low mine got, just said to go straight for infusion because it raises levels quickly and bypasses the digestive system altogether by going straight into the blood stream. I'm happy with that as it looks like it will just be every 6 months or so. Anaemia doesn't come into play for me because my blood cells hang onto their iron rather than releasing it.  That said my surgeon is aware of the digestive distress I have already (diverticular disease is the culprit there I suspect) without throwing iron supplements into the mix, along with having genetic haemochromatosis which definitely contraindicates iron supplementation as does the diverticular disease. When I looked into it I had all of the major contraindicated conditions for iron supplementation.  Expecting my first ever visit to an endocrinologist next month will be a doozy given my recent blood panels are all over the place and I'm taking my supplements to the letter.

Wow, sounds like a lot to consider. One infusion every six months sounds way better than a daily pill, and like you said its totally contraindicated in your situation for sure. Wishing you the best at your upcoming appointment! Sounds like such a balancing act :o

10 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I am having a heck of a time taking my meds and vitamins as well. Only because I have to take the PPI by itself. Then I have to take the synthroid by itself. Hours out both ways from my vitamins. Sometimes it feels like I spend the entire day taking pills.

I actually was setting the clock for 3am in order to get thyroid med out of the way. That way i could take my PPI at 8am when I get up. This way I can start taking my multi and calcium at noon. sigh.

Its tough for sure! That's one reason I'm glad my po meds are decreasing. That and they tend to make me very nauseated :blink: