Hello everyone! 

My my name is Emma. I’m 23 and I’m currently looking at my options for weight loss surgery. I’m leaning towards VSG. 

I love to read- my favorite type of book is Self- Development, and Leadership- and I love learning. My dream is to be a really confident, HEALTHY, loving, charitable, #LADYBOSS entrepreneur.

My goal weight is 140 and my highest is 280, hence, HalvingEmma. (I’m 5’3”) 

I’m choosing to look into WLS because I’ve tried dieting and exercising- healthily and unhealthily since I was in late elementary school. My family has a history of obesity and I’m SICK AND TIRED of carrying on that legacy. 

Some of the NSV I’m looking forward to include: 

- crossing my legs

- wearing a regular sized bath towel and have it completely wrap around me. 

- sit criss cross applesauce on the floor with a child and not have to lean back to accommodate for my chest. 

- get a piggyback ride

- have someone lift me up and carry me

- have more energy to be able to play with the kiddos I babysit. 

- feel more confident

- no more snoring

- climb a mountain

I would love any advice anyone has so please please please reply! What would you have changed about your surgery or surgery prep? What has been the most beneficial thing anyone has given you as advice? Why did you decide to have WLS? What’s been your favorite NSV you’ve had? (Like I said, I love to learn and I love to socialize!) 

I'm so excited and thankful for the community here and I’m excited to see where this goes! 

230451AA-E278-4922-BC7A-264F9496E7C1.jpeg

Welcome, @HalvingEmma! You have some great goals set up for yourself, all of them achievable too. My VSG, which I do highly recommend BTW, was very rushed. So I would suggest fully taking advantage of the preop plan that they set in place, make the most out of it. No doubt about it, this surgery can for sure change a persons life. But I feel the sooner you adapt to the new lifestyle, the easier it will be on you after surgery - especially in terms of coping strategies.

Be sure to educate yourself on the possible complications too, just so you are fully informed - but by the sounds of it you are well into your research. I know you will get some great feedback here, so I will leave the rest to the pros ;)

My fav NSG was being able to do a 55 min walk after being debilitated with pain for 3 years. Just finally being able to see the silver lining is like a breath of fresh air. Oh! And my knees knocking lol, such a strange, but memorable experience. 

But welcome to TT, and I wish you nothing but success any many many NSV moments to cherish :)

@Ladybugzzz86 I’m so happy for you! Also, thank you for the welcome!

Thanks for the tip on making sure to adapt sooner rather than later. I have my first counseling appointment this Thursday to address my tendencies of coping with food. I also started implementing mindful eating, from which I understand is basically just normal eating after WLS. (Essentially it’s just chewing your food a lot more than what people find to be “normal” and allowing for adequate time for that bite to settle into your stomach before continuing) also, thanks for the tip on researching the complications. From what I understand the big ones are 1. Leaks, 2. Bleeding 3. Blood clots, and 4. Dehydration. 

Do you have any specific resources you would recommend I check out? Or anyone else reading this for that matter? 

Welcome Emma! I love your username since I also lost half of my starting weight. In regards to your questions, I wouldn’t change anything about my surgery or surgery prep. I went in fully researched and it was all an easy, smooth experience. Most beneficial thing anyone has said? Early on, the advice to get a Camelbak Eddy helped me so much with my water intake. But I think overall, just staying the course, sticking to the diet and trusting the process is a biggie. It’s all about the long game. I decided to have surgery because I was tired of feeling unattractive and self conscious and I wanted to lose the weight for good. I knew the chances of losing & keeping it off without surgery are almost impossible, so surgery was the logical choice. Best thing I ever did. And favorite NSV? There’s SO many. Your goals actually mentioned a couple of mine. Being totally comfortable wearing a bikini, fitting into my (normal/skinny) kids’ clothes, the first time I pulled on size zero jeans, getting piggyback rides from my guy friends, sitting in a chair and still having space on it. There’s something pretty awesome about making out with a guy and having him pick you up and carry you upstairs. Just sayin’... ;) I could go on and on. This surgery has changed my life for the better in countless ways. I feel a thousand times more confident, beautiful, strong, healthy and just....normal. For the first time in a long time, I feel normal and like I’m finally myself. Not self conscious or hyper aware of the space I’m taking up. It’s really the best gift I ever could’ve given myself. I hope you find the community & support you’re looking for here. We’re here to support you on your journey! :)

Edited by athenarose

@athenarose thank you! You posted on my other question and I found your thoughts to be really helpful! Thank you! Also, I wanted to just tell you that you’re really beautiful! I think this world doesn’t really make enough space for women to compliment each other, and from your profile picture, DANG GIRL! 

I also can’t wait to have those NSV moments! Currently adding them to my list now! ;)

1 hour ago, HalvingEmma said:

@athenarose thank you! You posted on my other question and I found your thoughts to be really helpful! Thank you! Also, I wanted to just tell you that you’re really beautiful! I think this world doesn’t really make enough space for women to compliment each other, and from your profile picture, DANG GIRL! 

I also can’t wait to have those NSV moments! Currently adding them to my list now! ;)

Awww! You’re too sweet. Thank you! :wub:

Welcome, Emma!

I lost more than half my weight :blink: 

Your goals are both really really achievable, and also really really meaningful.

I'm happy to see that you're planning on walking into this whole experience as a very well informed person - that's for the best. 

I wouldn't change a thing about my pre-op, op, or post-op - everything went really well for me, luckily (not true for everyone, but it is generally low-risk as far as surgery goes). I was very tough on myself for the first year: very strict about calorie intake and exercise, as well as what kinds of food to eat or say no to. Eating mindfully has helped with that a lot. Post-op, eating mindfully is about the only way you can do it, at least for a while! Nothing more than a few bites and I was stuffed. 

Some of my favorite NSVs: flying comfortably, hiking comfortably, whole new wardrobe and new style, swimming in public with no fear, no more worrying about future health problems, no more fear of having my picture taken.

As for reading, I scour this site daily, and pre-op read just about everything here I could. The blog section was very helpful to me in visualizing my life post-op. I like the book "Intuitive Eating" for eating philosophy - it helped me think about emotional eating and boredom eating a bit differently, and helped me just change my relationship to food in general.

Edited by Jen581791

13 hours ago, HalvingEmma said:

@Ladybugzzz86 I’m so happy for you! Also, thank you for the welcome!

Thanks for the tip on making sure to adapt sooner rather than later. I have my first counseling appointment this Thursday to address my tendencies of coping with food. I also started implementing mindful eating, from which I understand is basically just normal eating after WLS. (Essentially it’s just chewing your food a lot more than what people find to be “normal” and allowing for adequate time for that bite to settle into your stomach before continuing) also, thanks for the tip on researching the complications. From what I understand the big ones are 1. Leaks, 2. Bleeding 3. Blood clots, and 4. Dehydration. 

Do you have any specific resources you would recommend I check out? Or anyone else reading this for that matter? 

Thanks! :) I would agree with Jen and say that just going through the blogs on here would be a great addition to what you have already researched. It might give you a better understanding from a POV style - I know it really helped me. I myself experienced complications post op (portal vein thrombosis) which landed me in the hospital, and there was very little out there to answer my many questions. But I was lucky enough to find another post op patient on here who shared the same experience. So browse away, ask questions, and keep up your great attitude! :)

@Jen581791 thank you for the encouragement! I’m definitely going to check out that book! My first appointment to talk to my GP was today. She recommended that I read a book called The Obesity Code. (Has anyone else read that by chance?) she was also very supportive and we got a game plan together. It’s really encouraging me to hear that people have lost 1/2 (or more!) of their body weight and are able to keep it off! 

@Ladybugzzz86 I’m sorry you had that complication! What did they end up doing for you? (Originally I was in school for nursing but i decided that it wasn’t something I was passionate about so I didn’t continue. I have a lot of interest in, but not for a career.) 

I’m so overwhelmed by the amount of kindness and positivity here. Wow. I’m so blessed by this. 

1 hour ago, HalvingEmma said:

@Jen581791 thank you for the encouragement! I’m definitely going to check out that book! My first appointment to talk to my GP was today. She recommended that I read a book called The Obesity Code. (Has anyone else read that by chance?) she was also very supportive and we got a game plan together. It’s really encouraging me to hear that people have lost 1/2 (or more!) of their body weight and are able to keep it off! 

@Ladybugzzz86 I’m sorry you had that complication! What did they end up doing for you? (Originally I was in school for nursing but i decided that it wasn’t something I was passionate about so I didn’t continue. I have a lot of interest in, but not for a career.) 

I’m so overwhelmed by the amount of kindness and positivity here. Wow. I’m so blessed by this. 

No worries hun, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger they say lol. Once they finally did pinpoint what the issue was I was immediately started on a heparin drip, exploratory surgery was performed, and gal bladder was removed - poor little guy wasn't getting enough O2 because of the clot - portal hypertension didn't help either. But it's all good, had a few small stones in there anyhow - and the removal of it may have helped relieve some of the intense pain I was in. Good times lol 

It is a very rare complication though, so don't worry too much :) I am still on blood thinners, they will do an ultrasound soon to check to see if it has resolved, and then followup with the hematologist. Fingers crossed :D

I just had VSG 3 weeks ago. I had no complications at all. Like everyone else said, take advantage of all of the information the kind people here share. It has helped me immensely! Everyone has been so kind and helpful. The reasons I had surgery is because at 57 y/o I was tired of not being able to go up and down the stairs without huffing and puffing, wondering if seats would be comfortable and large enough, taking diabetes meds, blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds. At only 3 weeks post surgery I am already off several meds!! Hooray!  I want to be able to play with my grandchildren (when I have some). I don’t want to sweat so much that it’s embarrassing. And I just want to feel comfortable with my body. I know weight loss won’t get my youth back but I sure hope it will add a spring in my step!:rolleyes: I wish you all the best!! You are a beautiful young lady! This is the best forum I’ve found and I bet you’ll feel the same after spending some time browsing around. :D

@Animalrescuer18 thank you so much for your insight! I’m so happy for you for all of the progress that you’ve made! I’m excited to be able to follow your progress! Please keep us updated!