Kat4307

Talk about fast!

I went in on the 2nd for final blood work...got a call on friday the 6th...surgery is the 17th!! I have my last appt with surgeon tomorrow, then go downstairs for preop nutrition class (they told me it was 3 hrs?!?) Then on tuesday i have preadmission phone call, the Friday a preop nursing class...and surgery tuesday. 

I have spent the weekend meal prepping for my elderly mom with copd that o care for...and have made myself chicken and beef bone broth, i have bought a case of Vitamin water Zero...what else should I have on hand for when i come home?

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  You need Premier protein shakes or some other brand of protein shakes. Premier are on sale right now at Sam's for 12 bucks and some change for a 12 pack, which is a great buy !

To add to what Tracy said about protein shakes, if your programme has you on a clear liquid diet early post-op check out places like Walmart for Premier Protein Clear Drink and Protein 2o.  But heads-up, I found them a little strong as is but diluted with some water, I can sip them all day long.

Congrats! That’s fast!

Best of luck - you might want to spend some recovery time watching WLS videos, so if you do, some of my favorites are Milla K, Chemistry Queen, and Clusie L. 

Otherwise, it seems like you’ve got what you need, or the ladies above have listed it :) 

Sounds like you are well covered, Kat. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

I wanted to chime in and share that I too care for my elderly mom with COPD, Emphysema, diabetes, etc. I found a place on line with a meal delivery service that is reasonable. Plus the food is outstanding. It is portioned just right for elderly, diabetics, heart condition, etc. You are able to buy as many or as little of the meals that you want. I used them just before and just after surgery for my mom. Now we have been very fortunate to get her on meals on wheels which provides one meal per day. I know that their food quality probably varies in different areas but, it is truly good food here. My mom is incredibly picky and says she has not received a meal that she did not like from them yet. The online place is called Silver Bistro MD.

Just thought that I would share that info while I was posting to welcome you to the forum.

@Jen581791 where do i find the videos?

@Readytobeme thank you!!!! That's an amazing idea!

Was told today clear liquids only for 1st stage of post op eating...no protein until 2nd stage. I have Isopure plain.protein powder so i can add to soups or whatever...or can make any flavor with whatever i add to it...unsweetened cocao powder, strawberries, vanilla...ect. and have collagen peptides i got at costco which also has 18 gms of protein in it (am hoping this helps with hair loss and skin elasticity ) have ordered the tespo bariatric vitamins and was given a sample of achieve food pouch (the one i got was fruit 150 cal and 20gm of protein -anybody use these?) But...need recs for calcium as the tespo doesn't have enough...so...what's best/ easiest to take/ and cost effective? 

And thank you for all your replies! I appreciate it so much! ♥️

I can't say for sure but, I think that Jen watched those videos at Youtube.

I am only too familiar with how hard it is to be a caregiver. Anytime that I can pass helpful info along, I am more than glad to do it :)

10 hours ago, Kat4307 said:

Was told today clear liquids only for 1st stage of post op eating...no protein until 2nd stage. I have Isopure plain.protein powder so i can add to soups or whatever...or can make any flavor with whatever i add to it...unsweetened cocao powder, strawberries, vanilla...ect. and have collagen peptides i got at costco which also has 18 gms of protein in it (am hoping this helps with hair loss and skin elasticity ) have ordered the tespo bariatric vitamins and was given a sample of achieve food pouch (the one i got was fruit 150 cal and 20gm of protein -anybody use these?) But...need recs for calcium as the tespo doesn't have enough...so...what's best/ easiest to take/ and cost effective? 

Hi @Kat4307, welcome!

You might want to make sure that the protein powder you use is a complete protein, by which I mean it has all the amino acids used by people to make their own proteins after it has been consumed. Some of the collagen powders are low or lacking in some of the amino acids. After your surgery, when you are healing to you need all the biochemical building blocks, not just the ones that happened to be in the collagen... not ALL the protein you eat has to be complete protein, but you need to make sure you get at least the minimum required amount in. 

11 hours ago, Kat4307 said:

Readytobeme is right, YouTube is where they're at. You can search for their usernames there - their channels will come up. I find it really inspiring to watch from the earliest video all in order to see the whole process play out. It's like you're living it with them :) 

Collagen protein doesn't have very high quality protein from what I've read - it's not a complete protein (all the essential amino acids) and doesn't get used by the body the same way. Unless you've been told differently by your surgeon, I'd look for whey isolate powder if I were you. The one I like is Syntrax Nectar. It's available at most places that sell that kind of thing. Premier pre-made shakes are good, too. Both are super low in carbs and high in good quality protein. You can order variety packs of Syntrax to figure out what flavor you like, too (Amazon) so you don't get stuck with a big tub of a flavor you don't like. 

Best of luck!

I will check out the videos after dinner...thank you. Including pics of collagen and protein i have...surgeon said protein was ok, has a few patients on it...but really not a much of a fan cuz there's no vitamins in it.  Told him i had the Tespo bariatric vitamins coming and would be delivered every month but had to get additional calcium today as tespo calcium is below the 1000-1500 dose. Am going to try to attach images of protein n collagen...#ImaTechieFail so please bare with me...

20180710_151040.jpg

20180710_151141.jpg

20180710_151155.jpg

20180710_151115.jpg

@Kat4307

Note no ARGININE or CYSTEINE or TRYPTOPHAN amino acids mentioned in the nutritional ingredients photo you posted for the collagen powder. These are crucial to your diet, so if these are not in your supplement, think about changing it or ensuring that your other protein sources contain at least the minimal daily requirement of the missing amino acids. Just checked online and whey has all 3 of them. Soy protein has these too, I think, but you are best served by looking this up yourself when you have 20 minutes and deciding on the best solution for your own preferences and circumstances. Plus becoming facile at looking this information up if you are not already there!

You don't have to get all of your nutrition equally apportioned to each of your foods, but it is helpful to know which foods have particular strengths or gaps. 

FWIW if you like historical stuff, native Americans grew complex gardens that provided all the required nutrients AND which replenished the soil. I am told there are sites in Central America that have probably had the same group of plants growing for 1500-2000 years, without crop rotation. Corn, beans and squash were so important the Iriquios called them the 3 Sisters. Potatoes, tomatoes, avacado were also important players, as was citrus in the warmer climes.