Greetings fellow travelers,

Since my surgery was March 8th, I guess that makes today the end of my fourth month.  Thought I should stop by and say hello.

I just blew past the 90lbs lost mark and I my fancy scale indicates I might have lost some muscle mass but I still feel plenty strong and energized.  My exercise has not increased, still walking a little less than 2 miles a day, 5 days a week.  I am about to add stretching exercises to my daily routine and some time after that maybe some simple calisthenics.  I don't feel like I am "gym ready" yet so will keep it simple a while longer.

My next follow-up appointment with the surgeon is the middle of August right after I return from a week in Las Vegas, so that should be interesting.  The weight loss goal my surgeon gave me would still put me in either the "obese" or "over weight" category of BMI so I my intention is to move well below that.  I'm not really sure what that number should be so I will just wait and see how I feel.

Trying to keep my weight loss on track with all the insulin reducing tricks I can find like low glycemic foods, smaller eating windows, and supplements that help improve insulin sensitivity.  Since insulin signals the body to store energy (fat), I figure I should try and keep that low.  So far so good.

I hope everyone is having a great summer!

Rob

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 8.53.28 PM.png

Edited by Rob_VSG

Wowzers!!!! Rob, you are absolutely killing this!!! Seriously, losing 90 pounds in 4 months is outstanding! I know that guys lose quicker than girls but, I have only lost 55 pounds in 3 months.

Could you share some tips?  What type of low glycemic foods are you eating? I will admit that I have not been perfect about staying on plan. I am very surprised at myself because I never understood hos others went through this and did not stick to plan.

Now, I do eat healthy and all of the right things. I just eat too much of them at times.

A HUGE congratulations to you on such an excellent job. Well done!

I'm happy to share, though I don't claim to have any sort of a "magic bullet" as I'm just trying stuff out to see what works for me and everyone is a little different.  Plenty of places on net to find lists of low glycemic foods.  Also, I'm not really following the plan the nutritionist gave me, although I haven't really checked to see how far off I am.

Here is an example:  https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/nutrition/glycemic-index-chart/

My macros are tilted somewhat towards keto so I have very little dairy except for maybe some heavy cream in a recipe and I like ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses and I have almost no refined sugars or carbohydrates.  My protein and fat macros are pretty close in grams.

So like if I want to snack on some fruit I would choose blue berries or cherries.  For veggies, I lean towards asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli and green beans.  For salads it's lettuce, spinach, cucumbers are typical.   Since I don't have bread, I figured out how to make a simple bread recipe in the microwave that just uses egg and almond flour.  If I snack on nuts it would be almonds, pecans and brazil nuts.  Once I had strong craving for sweets so I put a table spoon of raw honey on palm full of almonds and it was like eating huge sweet snack, although I wouldn't do that often.

When it comes to protein I really like red meats, but I had a gout flare up this weekend so I'm switching back to fish and chicken for a few days.

My favorite salty snack indulgence is parmesan crisps.  You can buy them at most grocery stores or Costco.  I figured out an easy to way to make them myself using a mini muffin pan and just dumping 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of parmesan into each spot and baking for 6 minutes at 375 degrees F.

My latest favorite creation is low carb Manicotti.  Wow that was awesome.  I made one version with tomato sauce, and another with Alfredo sauce.  I make the crepes (shells) myself and they are just egg and some almond flower, then stuff them ricotta and mozzarella and bake them in the oven.  That is very filling and having grown up around some Sicilians are more like a comfort food for me.  Even my skinny friends wanted to eat some.

If I have the urge for "junk food" I keep sugar free popsicles handy for this hot Texas weather.

Hope you find something useful here.

Rob

Edited by Rob_VSG

That's a pretty impressive weight loss chart Rob - congratulations!

@Rob_VSG

Totally impressive. Wow. and thanks for those cooking hints - have never made egg+almond flour bread, I will have to try it. Congrats again!

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Rob_VSG

Totally impressive. Wow. and thanks for those cooking hints - have never made egg+almond flour bread, I will have to try it. Congrats again!

You can find youtube vids usually called "90 second keto bread".  Some use almond flour some use coconut flour and there are probably a few more variations.

Congratulations Rob, you are doing so well !!

Love your weight loss chart, @Rob_VSG...but it is probably time to update your profile picture, I bet your face has thinned out even more! You are doing awesome!  

I can’t wait to try the Parmesan crisps!  Tomorrow for sure!  And i am going to check out the YouTube 90 second breads too.

it is amazing that you are so close to goal this soon, keep it up (down!), Rob !

Wow, Rob, that's quite a nosedive on your chart!!! Good for you - it sounds like you're going at this in a really systematic way. Learning what works for you and what doesn't is probably the most important part, since that's what will keep you where you want to be once you get there. 

I can't believe you're almost at your surgeon's goal at four months out. Much to be said for setting an achievable goal and smoking right past it, I think. You've got quite a long time left on your honeymoon period, so go for it, I say. In the meantime, enjoy your new you, as well. 

Thanks for the food tips, too - variety is a great thing. I haven't given the keto bread thing a try, so I probably should.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:45 AM, cinwa said:

That's a pretty impressive weight loss chart Rob - congratulations!

On 7/11/2018 at 10:33 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

@Rob_VSG

On 7/11/2018 at 6:46 PM, tracyringo said:

Congratulations Rob, you are doing so well !!

20 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Love your weight loss chart, @Rob_VSG...but it is probably time to update your profile picture, I bet your face has thinned out even more! You are doing awesome!  

I can’t wait to try the Parmesan crisps!  Tomorrow for sure!  And i am going to check out the YouTube 90 second breads too.

it is amazing that you are so close to goal this soon, keep it up (down!), Rob !

19 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Wow, Rob, that's quite a nosedive on your chart!!! Good for you - it sounds like you're going at this in a really systematic way. Learning what works for you and what doesn't is probably the most important part, since that's what will keep you where you want to be once you get there. 

I can't believe you're almost at your surgeon's goal at four months out. Much to be said for setting an achievable goal and smoking right past it, I think. You've got quite a long time left on your honeymoon period, so go for it, I say. In the meantime, enjoy your new you, as well. 

Thanks for the food tips, too - variety is a great thing. I haven't given the keto bread thing a try, so I probably should.

I appreciate all the kind words.  I'd like to remind everyone that it is reading about all of your successes, trials and challenges that keeps me motivated to keep trying and learning.

Thank you,

Rob

congrats!!  Impressive results!

I personally can't eat more than 2-3 parm crisps in a  week.... they tend to stop me up...and that's a GO!!! (pardon the pun)

On 7/8/2018 at 11:27 PM, Rob_VSG said:My favorite salty snack indulgence is parmesan crisps.  You can buy them at most grocery stores or Costco.  I figured out an easy to way to make them myself using a mini muffin pan and just dumping 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of parmesan into each spot and baking for 6 minutes at 375 degrees F.

I make them on a plate with parchment paper on top and I put a teaspoon of Parmesan on it (I make 4-6at a time and me and hubby each eat two or three) and microwave it for 60 seconds, let cool to crisp it and viola, delicious crispy cheese snacks with no carbs!

Congrats on the success.  I know exactly how your feeling

I just wanted to tell you that I am so impressed by your weight loss and food tips. I was so impressed that I emailed myself your food post and bookmarked the glycemic website. Thank you!