It's me again.....lol..... anyways how do you all deal with family eating out in front of you or taking you to a restaurant when you are still on the liquid diet phase???? Its killing me. I have made some my favorite meals for my family and they have eaten out at mexican restaurants and its bugging me. I am doing good too. I am 4 days away from getting my cheese, yogurt, eggs and cottage cheese. But seeing all this makes me want a cheese stick! Or refried beans. Ugh! Help me! Today is day 11 since I had the surgery. On a plus side I am down 20lbs.....

Hang in there Jenn - it won't be long before you move on to the next phase of your diet (and beyond).

Other than the first week or so (I prepared and froze a lot of meals for my DH), I never skipped a beat with cooking up a storm.  I stuck with my programme and hung on to the fact that it was essential and it was just going to be for a short time.

It's just one of those things you have to go through to get to the other side, which is awesome BTW.  Keep your focus on the outcome (20 pounds down already, woo hoo!!) and soon this will just be a distant memory that doesn't seem so bad.  Kind of like childbirth lol. 

Personally, I would avoid restaurants. And ask friends and family to kindly not eat those foods around you. That is what I did when it happened, although once I set those boundaries it was not an issue again. The way I seen it was that I was basically in remission at that stage, will power only works so well, the rest is about fail proofing lol. But you do whatever is going to work best for you :)

@Jenn42606

Right after surgery a lot of people are still mourning the loss of their ability to eat ridiculous amounts of food, or are suffering from a loss of mouth feel, or miss the sociability of eating with their friends and family. What you are feeling is really common. Maybe you could persuade them to go to a restaurant with good soups! or to have Vietnamese pho for dinner!

At this point (15+ months out) what other people eat doesn't make any difference to me. I'm meeting my once-a-month wine tasting group tonight and will probably eat about a third or a half of what they eat. Probably have a small bowl of soup and then a small appetizer for my dinner. 

7 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Jenn42606

Right after surgery a lot of people are still mourning the loss of their ability to eat ridiculous amounts of food, or are suffering from a loss of mouth feel, or miss the sociability of eating with their friends and family. What you are feeling is really common. Maybe you could persuade them to go to a restaurant with good soups! or to have Vietnamese pho for dinner!

At this point (15+ months out) what other people eat doesn't make any difference to me. I'm meeting my once-a-month wine tasting group tonight and will probably eat about a third or a half of what they eat. Probably have a small bowl of soup and then a small appetizer for my dinner. 

Just drink the broth that's in the pho soup? Oh Hey, when could I have watermelon?? Is it considered a melon? 

23 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

Oh Hey, when could I have watermelon?? Is it considered a melon? 

That's something you should check with your surgeon/NUT.  My programme didn't allow raw fruit or vegetables for 12 weeks post-surgery.

1 hour ago, Jenn42606 said:

Just drink the broth that's in the pho soup? Oh Hey, when could I have watermelon?? Is it considered a melon? 

Yes. Check with your Nut. I am able to eat most any fruit at just over 3 months out. Except for grapes and watermelon.  I am supposed to wait for 1 year before having them.

On 7/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Personally, I would avoid restaurants. And ask friends and family to kindly not eat those foods around you. That is what I did when it happened, although once I set those boundaries it was not an issue again. The way I seen it was that I was basically in remission at that stage, will power only works so well, the rest is about fail proofing lol. But you do whatever is going to work best for you :)

YES to all of this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on being down 20 pounds!

I can relate on so many levels. I had my surgery December 16 of last year and had to spend the holidays with a water bottle and a Gatorade. Now 102 lbs down I look back and even though at the time it felt bad and depressing I would go through it again if need be because this surgery was worth it all. I now have my life back and I am genuinely happy. Just hang in there and know it gets better. 

20 minutes ago, Artie said:

I can relate on so many levels. I had my surgery December 16 of last year and had to spend the holidays with a water bottle and a Gatorade. Now 102 lbs down I look back and even though at the time it felt bad and depressing I would go through it again if need be because this surgery was worth it all. I now have my life back and I am genuinely happy. Just hang in there and know it gets better. 

@Artie we have the same timeline, although different years.  It was so very strange having surgery right before Christmas, but I look back now and think it was the best gift ever!  Plus Christmas eve that year was the day I got to move from liquids to puree so even a few sips of pureed butternut squash soup seemed like the most gourmet food ever!  Plus my mother had planned a variety of soups for the meal so I wasn't the only one eating soup and didn't feel left out at all.  Life is so good!