Anita62

Three months post op

Monday marked three months since I had surgery. I have lost 66 pounds since starting pre op diet two weeks prior to surgery. I am up to walking/jogging 4 miles per day, I also do yoga stretches and a little bit of arm weights. I can finally drink more then 64 oz of water per day. No more sipping!!!  I eat three meals per day and have a pp shake for snack. My concern is that I can eat a lot. I haven't ever felt too full or thrown up with any type of food. I've been eating fresh fruits, cheeses and vegetables along with 80 grams of protein! My protein isn't always lean either. I have had steak, hamburgers and a hot dog once. Nothing bothers me, I hope I'm not setting myself up to fail!!

i want to lose 60 more pounds. I plan to participate in my first 5k on October 6. My life feels really good currently, I sleep well and a lot less. I can keep up with my two year old grandson and my clothes are too big!! I have my three month check up on July 11 with surgeon and will ask him about calorie intake. I have eaten up to 1100 calories in one day already, but read about so many people only able to eat a few bites-I'm hoping that my exercise expenditure is why I'm this hungry. I also am looking forward to my blood test numbers. I hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer!

Great job so far with your weight loss and with become more active!  :) 

While you are still in your "honeymoon period" after your surgery, and trying to reach your goal weight as soon as possible, you would be wise to keep your calories down (while keeping your lean protein and liquids intake up).  In terms of being able to eat a lot of food, are you sticking to the rules about no drinking right before, during and right after a meal?

You’re doing so great! I would definitely caution you to watch your calories and stick closely to your diet. Personally, I limited the fruit and carbs when I was actively losing and the only cheese I ate was part-skim string cheese. It’s so easy to fall in the “I’m exercising so I can eat a bit more” trap and calorie dense foods like cheese, plus carbs can make the calories add up quicker than one realizes. I’d be surprised if your exercise increased your appetite. I suspect it may just be that your hunger came back early and eating carbs has increased cravings making your appetite more noticeable. Either way, you’re not really burning enough calories via exercise to justify eating extra calories, so it might be a good idea to explore eating lower carb and seeing if that helps you feel less hungry. It may also help to measure out your food and, since you’re hitting your protein goal, focus on increasing your water intake (since you mentioned feeling hungry). Keep up the great work!

@Res Ipsa I do apply the liquid rule. I sometimes can even wait an hour after I eat. @athenarose I believe I'm following diet I was given. It stated to eat a fruit  serving a day at week 10. I will try no fruit or cheese and see if my hunger is reduced. I'm doing well with water intake now too-80-96 oz per day. 

About what caloric intake should I be at?

17 minutes ago, Anita62 said:

@Res Ipsa I do apply the liquid rule. I sometimes can even wait an hour after I eat. @athenarose I believe I'm following diet I was given. It stated to eat a fruit  serving a day at week 10. I will try no fruit or cheese and see if my hunger is reduced. I'm doing well with water intake now too-80-96 oz per day. 

About what caloric intake should I be at?

The diets can vary from surgeon to surgeon, so I didn’t mean to imply that you were doing anything wrong. I just know that, for myself, I lose weight more easily when I eat low carb and fruit generally isn’t low carb. Even now, I spend an average of 3 hours a day in the gym and I still eat maybe a max of one or two servings of fruit/day. And that’s not every day. Also, if you can get your body into ketosis and stay there (which eating low carb should do), your hunger will typically diminish plus you’ll be burning fat as a primary fuel source. Honestly, if I had to pick one or the other, I’d keep the cheese and drop the fruit, but if you can cut out both, it’s not going to hurt. As far as calories, I don’t know what your doctor recommends, but I generally ate between 600-800 calories when I was actively losing weight. I intentionally didn’t regularly exercise until I hit goal because exercise generally doesn’t help significantly with weight loss (people usually don’t burn as many calories as they think they do and then use exercise to justify eating more), it can raise your cortisol levels (which inhibits weight loss) and I wanted to focus all my attention on getting my diet dialed in. That’s just me though. I was really strict with my post-op diet until after I hit goal. Different approaches work for different people. 

Edited by athenarose

You are doing great, congrats on your loss!  Focus on what you are doing right and keep on doing it.  I agree on maybe cutting the fruit while in active weight loss, or at least sticking to lower sugar fruits such as berries.  Make sure you are eating your lean solid protein first, then veggies.  Chicken breast seems to be one that is particularly filling for most. 

Personally, I think walking is great during this phase, not for weight loss so much but for all the other health benefits that it provides, including mental health benefits.  I don't even count it as exercise so that I don't fall into the trap of "needing" to eat more because of it.  It is just for the benefit of stress relief, increased bone density, increased muscle tone, improved metabolism, improved cardiovascular status, increased stamina, etc all of which are very important at "our" age :)

If you really start training for a 5K or a marathon or doing bodybuilding or intense cardio or something...then you may need to up your calories.  Walking for health...nope!

sounds like you're doing great!  I wouldn't worry about the calorie number (my NUT never had me count calories) but I would watch the amount of food you're eating.  I used a 4 oz container for everything I ate so I couldn't overeat.  Even my yogurt that came in 5.3 oz containers I didn't eat all of.  I think it really helped train my sleeve to eat what it should. I still put my food in containers like that but I must confess that at 8 months out I DO eat the whole 5.3 oz container :).  I don't count calories but I record my food on myfitnesspal.com and even now i am still about 700-800 calories and have only had a few days over 1000 (today for one....and I am annoyed w/ me over it! ha!)

I also don't respond well to fats...if I overdo it I don't lose so I didn't go fat free, but I definitely didn't go overboard with it (still don't).  some ppl do great w/ a high fat/protein diet but I can't handle that for some reason, it makes me hold onto my excess weight so I have to drop it a little to lose.  But everyone is different of course.

What a nice thread. 

@Anita62 sounds like you are doing well and have made good choices for your intake and diet. Follow your path (e.g. don't knavishly and foolishly and smugly go astray) and don't take up other foods right now. Just keep remembering that you are > 60 lbs down and have only another 60 to go. You can do this. You have demonstrated the required skills, just keep 'em up. 

(At the end of the day, my two cents is not to become attached to a weight loss goal, but rather an health goal if that makes sense to you: lower blood pressure, better hemoglobin A1c values, sleeping through the night rather than constantly waking up from obstructive sleep apnea... those are the functional end points that predict your health. Plus getting exercise every day.)

Thank you for your kind words and support. I had my doctor appointment this Wednesday. Seventy pounds down since pre op diet. Doc was happy to say the least. Nutritionist wants me to up my carbs to 60-70 per day!!! That would be my yougart and two fruits. Not sure how I feel about this. I told her I eat about 1000 calories a day, 90 grams protein, under 50 carbs and 80-96 oz fluids. She said she is not worried about calories??  The amount of exercise was her concern, she wants me to burn carbs not muscle? Next visit she will measure body fat, muscle etc. doc only wants me to lose 30 more pounds, my goal is to lose 57 more. I'm anxious to get my results of my blood work. Have a great day!

8 minutes ago, Anita62 said:

Thank you for your kind words and support. I had my doctor appointment this Wednesday. Seventy pounds down since pre op diet. Doc was happy to say the least. Nutritionist wants me to up my carbs to 60-70 per day!!! That would be my yougart and two fruits. Not sure how I feel about this. I told her I eat about 1000 calories a day, 90 grams protein, under 50 carbs and 80-96 oz fluids. She said she is not worried about calories??  The amount of exercise was her concern, she wants me to burn carbs not muscle? Next visit she will measure body fat, muscle etc. doc only wants me to lose 30 more pounds, my goal is to lose 57 more. I'm anxious to get my results of my blood work. Have a great day!

Congrats on your continued weight loss success! As far as the nutritionist’s advice, I think a lot of us on here have found that their advice doesn’t always help us lose weight. Are you still doing what you mentioned above for exercise (3-4 miles of walking/jogging, yoga and arm weights) or did you increase your exercise? Do you track your heart rate when you work out? (I’m just trying to figure out if you’re burning a significant amount of calories). I don’t know....some muscle loss is inevitable with weight loss (there’s a reason why bodybuilders do a bulking cycle, then a cutting cycle), but I think the concern of burning muscle instead of fat when you’re still significantly overweight is overblown, particularly when you’re taking in sufficient amounts of protein and burning minimal calories through exercise. It’s been a while since I did the research and pulled up studies to back up what I’m saying (my world now is gym rats, bodybuilders and personal trainers, so my beliefs about nutrition are the norm), so I don’t have anything to cite. Personally, I would ask her for studies to back up her concerns and suggestions, but that’s just me. I just don’t understand why she would suggest you increase carbs if she’s worried about you losing muscle. That doesn’t make sense at all. If she’s worried about your muscles, you should increase protein and weight bearing exercise. And why would she want you to burn carbs? The goal is to burn fat, which means you need to get through your glycogen stores (which your body uses before you start burning fat). If you increase carbs, you’re providing an energy source that is used by your body before it’ll tap into your glycogen stores (typically around 400 calories or so), which need to be used up before your body taps into your fat storage. Her advice makes absolutely no sense to me. Regardless, you are doing fantastic. I wish you continued success and hope you find a method that works well for you and gets you to your goal weight.

13 hours ago, athenarose said:

a lot of us on here have found that their advice doesn’t always help us lose weight

14 hours ago, Anita62 said:

Nutritionist wants me to up my carbs to 60-70 per day!!!

As usual, @athenarose has some excellent words of wisdom here. Certainly we've heard some pretty crazy stories here about what NUTs want their patients to do. I agree that if keeping your carbs low has been successful for you so far, it might be a thing that works for you, so you should probably continue that for a while. It seems that each person is a bit different, and if you've found something that has helped you, why change? Keeping low carb should help you burn fat rather than glycogen, see athenarose's explanation. There is definitely some muscle loss that will happen with big weight loss, and keeping active while losing is a good idea, but you won't be able to actually gain any muscle until you start increasing your caloric intake after getting to GW. Definitely stay active, but don't sweat some muscle loss - just work to build it back up later. You probably don't need to "worry" about calories, but keeping them under a certain amount (1000 sound pretty reasonable to me, judging by what most people who are successful here do) will get you to GW. 

And keep with your goal of losing 57 more pounds if it feels right to you. Your NUT is probably trying to be conservative in her goal to make you feel successful sooner or to match up your losses with the average losses of people who get surgery, but there's honestly no reason you should, at 5'4", weigh 170. That's still a BMI of 29 (for what that's worth). 145 would put you just about at 25, which is the top end of "normal" for your height. Get to 170, celebrate, and keep going if you feel that you should. 

You're doing really well! :) Remember that your NUT's advice is just that: advice. Not rules or laws. 

@athenarose I agree with you. I have done Atkins and it really worked for me!! But as usual I didn't stick with it. I told my NUT THAT IM NOT COMFORTABLE going over 50 carbs a day. I will stick to under 50 and see how well I do. The doctor wants me to lose 30 more pounds but my goal is another 50.