Sign in to follow this  
Tina1965

1st Pre Op Appointment

Just got my first pre op appointment.  I've been waiting a year for this.  Six months seeing my primary care every month and then delays between other tests I had to have.  I'm so excited!!  Thank you all for all the advice and encouragement on this site.  What can I expect at my first pre op appointment?

OK, so my first pre op  appointment is tomorrow morning.  I am nervous.  One question I've been asking in my head is about vitamins.  Do you guys recommend buying over the counter vitamins and supplements or do you recommend purchasing them from your surgeon's office?

How exciting! My first pre-op appointment, they took my weight and height and I filled out some medical history paperwork. Then the doctor and I went over the different surgery options and what she required pre-op. Then I scheduled my nutritionist appointments with the office manager. It was super easy and painless. In regards to vitamins, at my first nutritionist appointment, she gave me some different vitamin samples. I strongly recommend that you order the sample pack from Celebrate, but save it for after you have surgery because your taste and preferences will change. Once you’re post-op, you can figure out what you like and order them. The lull between having surgery and getting the vitamins shouldn’t be too big of a deal since your first few weeks post-op will be focused on hitting your liquid/water and protein goals. 

I just realized that you’ve been seeing your PCP regularly. Depending on your insurance, that might fulfill the medically supervised diet requirement (if your insurance has one). Have you already completed all your required pre-op tests (psych evaluation, endoscopy, etc)?

Yes, I've already done everything that was required.  This is the second time I will be meeting with the surgeon, but they are calling it my first 'pre op' appointment.  I guess they are close to scheduling my surgery which is AWESOME!!

13 minutes ago, Tina1965 said:

Yes, I've already done everything that was required.  This is the second time I will be meeting with the surgeon, but they are calling it my first 'pre op' appointment.  I guess they are close to scheduling my surgery which is AWESOME!!

That is even more exciting! Yay! In that case, I’m guessing it’ll be pretty short and sweet. The doctor will probably go over any medical concerns, confirm your surgery choice, tell you if there’s any additional requirements you haven’t done yet and hopefully schedule your surgery. No reason to be nervous about the appointment. Besides the vitamins, is there anything else in particular you’re concerned or wondering about?

I got my surgery date!!!!  It's August 13th!  A little more than two weeks away.  I'm so excited! 

I was wondering if I will go home with a drain.  I asked the surgeon and he said yes, which is yucky, but I'll live through it.  Thanks for all your help and encouragement @athenarose

12 minutes ago, Tina1965 said:

I got my surgery date!!!!  It's August 13th!  A little more than two weeks away.  I'm so excited! 

I was wondering if I will go home with a drain.  I asked the surgeon and he said yes, which is yucky, but I'll live through it.  Thanks for all your help and encouragement @athenarose

Congratulations Tina - not long to go before the start of your new life.

I came home with a drain (you can see a picture in my gallery).  It was no biggie - just an annoyance.  I hung it around my neck with a piece of bandage.