Jenn42606

Plateau after 5 days???

So my surgery date was June 27th and I lost 16lbs in the 1st 5 days but since then I haven't lost any more. I get my water in and I do no more than 3 to 4 oz of liquid soups for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also get my premiere protein in as well. What's going on? Why haven't I lost anymore weight? I thought the plateau happens after 3 weeks not 5 days. I feel kinda bummed. My boyfriend looked at me after I told him this and he said what if this is your body type what if you dont lose anymore weight. I said then I want my stomach back. Lol. No but seriously what is going on??? 

That is perfectly normal Jenn.  16lb down in 9 days is outstanding.  That's an average of 1.77lb a day!

Just keep doing what you're doing.  We don't lose weight at a regular pace - ignore the scales or better still, lock them up for a few days and just focus of following your programme.  It will work for you!

1 minute ago, cinwa said:

That is perfectly normal Jenn.  16lb down in 9 days is outstanding.  That's an average of 1.77lb a day!

Just keep doing what you're doing.  We don't lose weight at a regular pace - ignore the scales or better still, lock them up for a few days and just focus of following your programme.  It will work for you!

No I lost the 16lbs in the 1st 5 days and nothing since. :(

1 minute ago, Jenn42606 said:

No I lost the 16lbs in the 1st 5 days and nothing since. :(

Weight loss is almost never smooth, for me it has been pretty jagged - and mine ended up being a series of steps, e.g. stalls for 1-3 weeks followed by 2-5 pounds loss over a short period. Hang in there, keep doing the right stuff, it works. 

It doesn't just work in a way that erases your anxieties about losing weight. 

1 minute ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Weight loss is almost never smooth, for me it has been pretty jagged - and mine ended up being a series of steps, e.g. stalls for 1-3 weeks followed by 2-5 pounds loss over a short period. Hang in there, keep doing the right stuff, it works. 

It doesn't just work in a way that erases your anxieties about losing weight. 

What if this is all that I'm going to lose? Is that possible? 

1 minute ago, Jenn42606 said:

What if this is all that I'm going to lose? Is that possible? 

Oh, don't be silly. You can't weigh 292 lbs and eat just soup and Premier Protein drinks and not lose weight over time, unless it is Butter Soup with Extra Calories on the side.  ;)  This surgery works.  

More seriously there are plenty of people who have posted here with early stalls, so your path is not so unusual. If you are feeling anxious, walk another mile today, that will help mobilize some of the weight you will be losing, and you can feel virtuous.

If your soups are carbohydrate-rich maybe you could add a bit more protein and dial back the carbos... but the math is that even a person with a low metabolic rate needs something like 11 calories per pound to maintain weight, and plugging in your stats, that is more than 3,000 calories per day. Just keep remembering that your body is genetically designed to MAINTAIN your weight during a famine, which is what your body thinks you are living through. You can trick it into fat burning though with a ketogenic (high protein and fats) diet at this point...

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Oh, don't be silly. You can't weigh 292 lbs and eat just soup and Premier Protein drinks and not lose weight over time, unless it is Butter Soup with Extra Calories on the side.  ;)  This surgery works.  

More seriously there are plenty of people who have posted here with early stalls, so your path is not so unusual. If you are feeling anxious, walk another mile today, that will help mobilize some of the weight you will be losing, and you can feel virtuous.

If your soups are carbohydrate-rich maybe you could add a bit more protein and dial back the carbos... but the math is that even a person with a low metabolic rate needs something like 11 calories per pound to maintain weight, and plugging in your stats, that is more than 3,000 calories per day. Just keep remembering that your body is genetically designed to MAINTAIN your weight during a famine, which is what your body thinks you are living through. You can trick it into fat burning though with a ketogenic (high protein and fats) diet at this point...

Ok. Thanks. Also its 290. Lol. The 2 small pounds count. Lol. Thank you again. 

@Jenn42606 Weighing every day, which I did for > 9 months, inevitably leads to this kind of anxiety... kind of like waiting for the water to boil in a kettle, it seems to take FOREVER when you need it!

Relax - almost all of us had a weight loss stall during the first month after surgery.  Just stick to the diet program from your surgeon, drinks lots of liquids, take your vitamins, and lead an active lifestyle.  There is no chance that you will not lose weight month after month if you do this.     

Ok no more plateau. I am down another 2lbs. That makes it 288....I haven't seen that number in over 6 years. Feels good. 

1 hour ago, Jenn42606 said:

Ok no more plateau. I am down another 2lbs. That makes it 288....I haven't seen that number in over 6 years. Feels good. 

Prepare yourself => this is a list I put together for myself after a few stalls. 

• I will lose weight.
  • I will not lose weight every day, but I will over time, which is what counts.
  • As I lose weight, I will continue to think about what I used to do which sabotaged me in the past. (Snacking, mindlessness, fill in the blanks...)
  • As I lose weight, I will adopt habits - no junk food; lots of protein; exercise; lots of water; friends who support me - that will cement my loss over the years to come

Don't despair, Jenn. I went through exactly the same. I think that I actually had more stalls than I have had weight loss. It is coming off slowly for me but, at least it IS coming off.

I had to put my scale away. I only drag it out once a week or every two weeks. The others are right. Weighing daily can make a person crazy.

Edited by Readytobeme