Yaya812

Tips on surviving the liquid diet

Hi I start my liquid 2 week diet on 7/9 any tips on how to survive!!

Hi @Yaya812 :) Here are a few things to try out:

Keep positive motivators around (cue cards for instance) to remind yourself why you need to stick to the diet, what you want out of the surgery, and what things you want to leave behind by making this journey. They really helped me when things got tough. Be sure to always have liquids with you, water - broth - whatever tickles your fancy really. When a hunger pain rears it head, you will be glad to have something within arms reach. Lastly, keep yourself busy. Get interested in new hobbies, or try out some old ones you have done in the past. The less time you have to fixate on food, or the lack of, the easier it will be. You got this! :)

Drinks - especially warm ones are a lot more satisfying than cold ones.  Herbal teas (check out Celestial Seasonings - I love some of the fruity flavours), low calorie broth (although watch the salt).

Thank you I said I was going to write notes to myself on sticky notes and post them at home work and my car

@Yaya812 I don’t have any advice for you because I did not a pre op diet. However, I want to congratulate you on your choice to make this journey. This thing isn’t easy and you are a champion!

Have some savory options around - you will get super tired of sweet drinks.  Broth is really awesome - I would warm mine up and drink it in the evening like tea. 

And keep in mind that it gets to be easier pretty fast.  I would say by the end of day 2 I wasn't really all that bothered by not eating. 

You can do this!  Think of it like exercise.  Every time you say "no" to something you shouldn't have, your "no" muscles get a little stronger.  ;) 

2 hours ago, Kio said:

Every time you say "no" to something you shouldn't have, your "no" muscles get a little stronger.  ;) 

Wise words!

A suggestion - put your shakes in the freezer until they’re semi frozen, sort of like milkshakes. They taste a bit better and have some texture. 

Sugar free popsicles helped me with my urge to chew.

On 7/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, Yaya812 said:

Hi I start my liquid 2 week diet on 7/9 any tips on how to survive!!

Just echoing @Kio's suggestion of savory things ... and have things like fun vinegars, Tabasco, sesame oil, maybe fish sauce around the house to doctor up the liquids. I am still using some of them when I have an egg whipped into some chicken broth. Good luck!