Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Soft foods stage: Chicken BBQ Cups (sugar-free/low sodium)

I'm at the point where I've been returning to the gym and hitting the weights.  I don't expect to be able to gain size at this point considering how much less I can eat and that carbs aren't a big part of my food intake anymore, but as with any gym activity, your protein intake needs to increase.  I just wanted to share this mix I came up with for quick easy meal prep, Chicken BBQ Cups.

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:

8 oz Cooked Chicken Breast, cut into small strips (70g protein)

1/2 tsp Coconut Oil (2.5g fat)

1/2 Bell Pepper of your choice, cut into thin 1 inch strips

1/2 Avocado, sliced and divided up into 20 pieces (10-11g fat, 6g carb)

** Optional ** 1/4 c Black Beans, drained/rinsed (optional - I used canned no salt added variety, adds an additional 10g carbs and good fiber)

Red Onion, diced

4 Tbsp Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce, modified (recommended: http://www.poormansatkins.com/blog/ken-davis-classic-2-carb-bbq-sauce)

- Modification: see note below

Small squirt of lime juice

** Optional ** Cilantro

1/2 cup size containers (recommended: https://tinyurl.com/glad12cupcontainers or similar)

1. Cook the chicken however you prefer to do it, no seasoning needed.  I find baking it to be fine but if you want it extra soft, a crock pot or slow-stewing it in a bit of water will do.  Cut into small bite-size pieces and set aside, allow it to cool. 

2. Add coconut oil to a pan and heat over medium heat.  Add bell pepper and saute until you get some char marks and they have softened considerably, about 5-7 minutes.  

3. While this is cooking, slice up your avocado and red onion, and if using cilantro, pick about 30 leaves. 

4. To prepare: In a small bowl, add 1/4th of the chicken, bell pepper, avocado, and if using, cilantro and black beans.  Add a 5 finger pinch of diced red onion and 1 Tbsp of the BBQ sauce.  Squirt a bit of lime juice over the top. Stir it up and add to one of the 1/2 cup containers (will be a tight fit).  Repeat with the remaining ingredients. 

4 meals ready-to-go!  Tastes great hot or cold, easy to bring with to the gym.  I'd recommend make a large batch of chicken breast and cut it all up ahead of time as the rest of the items aside from the pepper don't require cooking and can be added as-needed for easy meal prep.

NOTE: The BBQ sauce is good by itself, but it really lacks something on the finish.  Due to the low salt content as well, you don't get that salty tang that comes with a good sauce, and the sweet is left unbalanced.  It falls flat for me, so I poured the bottle out into a bowl and whisked in the following:

1 Tbsp fresh-ground black pepper,

1 Tbsp Cayenne,

1 tsp liquid hickory smoke sauce

Pour back into the bottle with a large'ish funnel.

If you're not into spice then maybe limit or omit the cayenne but keep in mind this is being added to the entire bottle so you're not getting that much per serving (I do like spicy, though!)  My fiancee tried this and said it was almost a dead-ringer for Famous Dave's Devil's Spit bbq sauce!  I'd have to agree, it's pretty close.

Edited by Drew
Forgot to add lime juice!

Your recipes are always so delicious, @Drew, thanks for sharing!

You're welcome, and I just edited the recipe because I forgot to suggest the squirt of lime juice I stir in, it makes it even more fantastic-flavored as long as you aren't allergic!  (my fiancee is)