JenniferJT

5 days Post-op and worried!

I have read the many messages on here about the post-op regret right after surgery and during the dreaded liquid diet stage. I am definitely feeling all of that, but I am also worried that the surgery didn’t work. I feel hungry and everyone says they aren’t hungry after surgery. I don’t feel like my stomach is smaller but I am still on liquids. Do people have issues with hunger after surgery? Are these normal feelings?

Welcome to Thinner Times Jennifer.

I didn't have any hunger but I did have an empty sensation and was advised to have warm drinks rather than cold ones because they can be soothing to new pouch or sleeve.

I haven never (even once) regretted having my gastric bypass.  It allowed me to become (and continue to be) thin, healthy and much more active.  More importantly, it probably added 20 or so years to my life span (to spend time with my wonderful spouse and two sons).

The liquid diet period is not fun, but is passes very quickly.

The liquid diet made me cranky and hungry. You'll still be successful. Try taking an antacid as you may be mistaking acid for hunger.

Jennifer, this too will pass!  Many ppl.mention a brief "buyer's remorse" but it.quickly passes. I didn't experience it bc I wanted my surgery soooo badly and I was here months before learning all I could do I'd turn into one of these TT success stories, but even those who did have a little remorse always ended up thrilled they had it and love their new body!  Once the pounds start falling off you'll forget this feeling. 

As for hunger, I thought I had it too but I think I just wanted something bc I was used to eating. Warm broth helped soothe that feeling. When you start eating even the purees, you will KNOW your stomach is smaller, you'll see!  It is still a early in the process and you'll see how different it seems on a few weeks!

Everything you said sounds very normal to me. I had a VSG, but I also felt hungry post op, and debated whether my stomach was indeed even adjusted! I promise you that in time these experiences will change over the course of your recovery. All of your nerves were messed with big time, and need lots of time and care to heal, especially for your fullness and hunger cues to return. Stick to your teams nutritional plan, aim for your goals, and try to sip on beverages when you feel hungry. It really helps me, even today. 

@Gretta I read a comment you recommended a cup to help with gas pain when drinking. Do you remember what it was?