When can you have mayo, mustard, ketchup,  bbq sauce.....etc but more importantly when can you have pepper? @Gretta

I had regular mayo, mustard and pepper while I was on the pureed stage with no problem (I don't care for ketchup or BBQ sauce but with around 4-6g sugar in a tablespoon, I doubt that it'll cause a problem).

11 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I had regular mayo, mustard and pepper while I was on the pureed stage with no problem (I don't care for ketchup or BBQ sauce but with around 4-6g sugar in a tablespoon, I doubt that it'll cause a problem).

So on the 15th day? 

8 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

So on the 15th day? 

My pureed diet started on day 14 but in fairness, I kept it simple for the first few days, cottage cheese, yogurt (eggs did not sit well with me), chunky soups with some of the liquid drained off were blessing (save the liquid for warm drink later).

19 minutes ago, cinwa said:

My pureed diet started on day 14 but in fairness, I kept it simple for the first few days, cottage cheese, yogurt (eggs did not sit well with me), chunky soups with some of the liquid drained off were blessing (save the liquid for warm drink later).

I hope eggs dont do me that way. I love eggs. I'm just wondering how long I can do soups. Ugh! I'm on day 2 and it's so bland! Maybe some pepper? 

58 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

I hope eggs dont do me that way. I love eggs. I'm just wondering how long I can do soups. Ugh! I'm on day 2 and it's so bland! Maybe some pepper? 

Over 10 years out and I still can't handle eggs - regardless of how their prepared.  I only had strained and pureed soup  on the pureed phase which lasted for a couple of weeks.  After that, I just drained off some of the broth (to have later) and at the chunky soup as was.

I added fresh ground pepper to strained soups on the liquid phase which started 1 week post-op.

I have no problem at all with eggs as long as they are cooked soft. I keep hard boiled eggs on hand. I mash them and add some greek yogurt for moisture and I have no issue with them.

I don't see any problem with you having pepper now. Other (sugar free) condiments are likely OK too.

I had condiments with no sugar very early out. Salsa juice in my soup, hot sauce on my cottage cheese, pepper, etc. I've never had any problems with spicy. In fact, my favorite soup during the liquids stage was Thai curry (Tom Yum) with the veggies strained out of it. Extra spicy, please. 

Careful with the sugar in BBQ sauce and ketchup. You can buy sugar free versions. 

9 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I had condiments with no sugar very early out. Salsa juice in my soup, hot sauce on my cottage cheese, pepper, etc. I've never had any problems with spicy. In fact, my favorite soup during the liquids stage was Thai curry (Tom Yum) with the veggies strained out of it. Extra spicy, please. 

Careful with the sugar in BBQ sauce and ketchup. You can buy sugar free versions. 

Where did you get the thai curry soup at? 

21 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

Any Thai restaurant will have it on the menu. In a pinch, I ate canned stuff (Amy's brand, it's in the organic section), which is not bad, but stuff from a restaurant will be better! Any southeast Asian restaurant will have some nice spicy soups you can just skim the chunks out of.

7 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

Jen,

Along with buying it from a Thai restaurant (it freezes well), check out Walmart etc. for spicy soups (packets, cans etc.) Thai Kitchen, Amy's, Annie Chun, Pacific Natural Foods.

I've always loved eggs too, all except for poached. But after surgery, I've had a hard time with scrambled, fried, or hard boiled. BUT, I read from a bariatric surgeon that alot of people tolerate poached, so I tried it. YUMMY now! I have a poached egg with a teeny amount of pesto sauce for breakfast now at least 3 times a week. And it was one of the first "real" foods I tolerated well. 

5 minutes ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

I've always loved eggs too, all except for poached. But after surgery, I've had a hard time with scrambled, fried, or hard boiled. BUT, I read from a bariatric surgeon that alot of people tolerate poached, so I tried it. YUMMY now! I have a poached egg with a teeny amount of pesto sauce for breakfast now at least 3 times a week. And it was one of the first "real" foods I tolerated well. 

Poached egg with a bit of avocado or guac is very yummy also.  Not that those are condiments exactly but it's a delicious combo.

I ate taco sauce 12 days out on my first meal, refried beans..

i always used pepper, lemon pepper on cottage cheese.  Salsa is now my main condiment.  It adds flavor and moisture and is low calorie..I used to drink ketchup, lol.  Now just a little dab..

From about ten days after my surgery, Franks Red Hot Sauce was my friend....  I put it on almost everything. :)

I had no issues with condiments or spices when I got to purees, and we start purees in the first week in my program. Anything to liven up the food! 

The only thing that seems to have caused me a problem since WLS is cumin which is a big problem because I love Indian food.  Making it at home isn't a problem - I just use come caraway in place of the cumin.  Not quite the same but it's an acceptable substitute.

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

The only thing that seems to have caused me a problem since WLS is cumin which is a big problem because I love Indian food.  Making it at home isn't a problem - I just use come caraway in place of the cumin.  Not quite the same but it's an acceptable substitute.

Just to show that everyone's weight loss surgery journey is different, I have no problem with cumin.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:58 PM, Jenn42606 said:

Few drops of Tabasco never hurt anything. 

25 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Few drops of Tabasco never hurt anything. 

Chipotle Tabasco ..... give me a straw!

Farmers’ Market Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette is my current passion.