Hi everybody. I go in for my blood test tomorrow...so surgeon can see that yes...there is no nicotine in me...been 2 weeks and i feel good about it being what he needs to see. Am going for the full bypass...just nervous. Am on celebrex now for inflammation in joints and know that i won't be able to take it post op...or nsaids...so am wondering how pain and inflammation are treated. Any suggestions/advice...anything welcome...nervous ninny here. Also...how bad is post op pain n how long does ij t last? I take care of 74 yr old mom and 4 special needs animals...i know i can't lift over 10lbs for about a month...just so many thoughts n worries runnin through my head :/

Welcome! It’s totally normal to be nervous. For me, post-op pain really wasn’t bad at all. I remember needing pain meds right after surgery, but by a day post-op, it really felt similar to the soreness after a really hard abs workout more than anything. I didn’t need any pain meds at all (I was sent home with liquid Tylenol with codeine) by maybe day 4 post op. I’m stretching to remember specifics here, but it definitely wasn’t much worse than any of the times I gave birth (and I was up and about within hours of popping each kid out). The biggest thing is, try to walk as much as you can after surgery. It really does help and makes a difference. As far as treating inflammation, you should probably ask your doctor. I know I’m allowed Tylenol for pain, but I haven’t really needed more.

Welcome and congrats on getting to this point in your journey! Your surgery is just around the corner. 

I'm glad to hear you've been able to stay nicotine free. That's a big battle to wage at the same time as pre-op dietary requirements, so good for you. So many great health benefits coming your way in the next few months! :) 

My pain was not too terrible. I was sore during my two days in the hospital, but had decent meds there. Then, when I was released, I was given just tylenol, which made me pretty nervous, but I was fine. Mostly I was tired a lot, rather than in pain, and just feeling sort of funny, like fragile. I hope your experience with pain is similar to mine - it was totally bearable. At night, when I was worried about moving around and hurting myself, I built a little pillow fort so I would stay on my back, but with my knees bent and head and shoulders high so I didn't have to stretch out my abdomen. It was helpful.

Walk, walk, walk. Sip, sip, sip. That'll be your life for a few days. I spent a lot of those days watching YouTube videos of others going through their WLS experiences, so I felt more like I was in a little club of people doing it, rather than all on my own. It was reassuring.

You might want to prep some small containers (baggies or something) of animal food and any other supplies so you don't have to lift big bags after surgery. 

Honestly I think what will help more than anything in the long run for your inflammation and pain would be the weight loss. I was completely disabled prior to my surgery in December following a injury at work - I could barely even walk for three years. I have lost just over 80 pounds so far and what a difference. I am still in pain everyday, but I am at least able to be functional now, the pain for the most part is tolerable. I know as long as I keep moving, and stick to the post op diet I will continue to get better too. I hope you will have a similar experience on your journey, if not better! :) Take it one day at a time, and don't worry, the nervousness will pass. Be sure to always advocate for anything you need, that is my best advice. Feel anxious the day of surgery? Nauseated? Too much pain? Don't suffer in silence, just ask your healthcare team and more often than not they will have a remedy to make you more comfortable during the beginning of your new journey. Wishing you the best of luck! Big hugzzz :)

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

Thank you everybody for all your kind words and encouragement ♥️

Before WLS I had a huge advil habit - sometimes it was so bad I took 4 pills 4 times a day.  I had wayyyyy too much weight on my joints, and was in constant pain, could barely even walk. 

The immediate surgical pain will be handled with something like oxycodone and liquid tylenol.  I had gastric bypass too, and the pain just wasn't that bad.  It wasn't the best time I ever had, but there was so much less surgical pain than I expected that it was kind of amazing.  The worst pain I had was in my throat, because I fought the intubation.  That was handled with chloraseptic.

Since surgery I haven't had any advil at all.  Any pain I had in my joints after surgery I handled with liquid tylenol.  I'm 9 months post surgery now, and never have knee or ankle pain anymore - and I walk all the time.  I walk the dog for 2 miles every morning and generally hit 8-10k steps a day.

I do have some back pain and some arthritis pain in one foot - these are leftovers from carrying the weight around for so long.  But even those a) come and go (and it's soooo nice when they go!) and can be handled easily with liquid tylenol. 

Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, Kio said:

Since surgery I haven't had any advil at all.  Any pain I had in my joints after surgery I handled with liquid tylenol.  I'm 9 months post surgery now, and never have knee or ankle pain anymore - and I walk all the time.  I walk the dog for 2 miles every morning and generally hit 8-10k steps a day.

Kio, you are so amazing. You're living such a different life than when you first came here to TTF. Very inspiring! :D 

Surgeons office called on friday...my surgery has been scheduled for the 17th! Yes...THIS MONTH! Yikes!