Cheesehead

Life changes

While pre op my NUT stressed I’d never be able to eat sugar.  All I could think was “I’ll never be able to have my kids wedding cake”.  Yesterday daughter number 4 was married.  I ate 3 protein bars all day, I didn’t have the dinner-just wasn’t hungry.. fast forward to cake.  There was 4 different kinds of cake and filling.  Another daughter came up and said you have to try this, I took a forkful of hers.  And another daughter said the grooms cake which was German chocolate was to die for so I had a taste of hers.  In a previous life I’d have had a piece of all 4.  And what was almost a deal breaker turned out to be no big deal.  

3 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

While pre op my NUT stressed I’d never be able to eat sugar.  All I could think was “I’ll never be able to have my kids wedding cake”.  Yesterday daughter number 4 was married.  I ate 3 protein bars all day, I didn’t have the dinner-just wasn’t hungry.. fast forward to cake.  There was 4 different kinds of cake and filling.  Another daughter came up and said you have to try this, I took a forkful of hers.  And another daughter said the grooms cake which was German chocolate was to die for so I had a taste of hers.  In a previous life I’d have had a piece of all 4.  And what was almost a deal breaker turned out to be no big deal.  

How wonderful. Congratulations on your daughter’s marriage. It sounds like your savored your bites! Mmm. 

I think that's just awesome, @Cheesehead!! I think sugar is tough on some of us, just because of WLS alone. But I'm thrilled for you that you were able to have some wedding cake...that's one of those life moments you don't want to miss, if you can help it anyway :)

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!! I wish your daughter and new son in law a very long and happy life together!!

Congrats, and congrats to your daughter and new son-in-law. 

A little bite or two of cake at a meaningful event - perfect. 

It’s taken 5 years to break that magical spell sugar had over me.  Friday morning the bride and I left the house early stopped for coffee and she wanted a donut (one of my drugs of choice).  I saw the caloric content and just about died!  I no long “want” a donut when I shop.  It’s taken 5!!!! Years!  This is by no means the easy way out!  For most of us it’s an addiction we have to break!  

For me it wasn’t fried foods or salty foods, it was sugar, plain and simple.  I’d sneak and eat a bag of candy or half a dozen cookies.  

Oldest and youngest sister horsing around...

0DEA3BB1-EEAD-43AA-A208-CA620589B692.jpeg

3B352216-3F34-4965-9404-4DC8E7516D7D.jpeg

Edited by Cheesehead

It is interesting how our tastes change after WLS.

Pre-op, I had no issue in having 2 or 3 slices of cake and still had a hankering for more.  Now, I have no interest in eating it which is fine by me but not with those around me.  I get sick and tired of people (hate to say it but it's mainly women) who have to make a comment like go on, one piece won't hurt you etc. etc.

I love this story!!! What a wonderful day!

26 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

It’s taken 5 years to break that magical spell sugar had over me.  Friday morning the bride and I left the house early stopped for coffee and she wanted a donut (one of my drugs of choice).  I saw the caloric content and just about died!  I no long “want” a donut when I shop.  It’s taken 5!!!! Years!  This is by no means the easy way out!  For most of us it’s an addiction we have to break!  

For me it wasn’t fried foods or salty foods, it was sugar, plain and simple.  I’d sneak and eat a bag of candy or half a dozen cookies.  

Oldest and youngest sister horsing around...

0DEA3BB1-EEAD-43AA-A208-CA620589B692.jpeg

3B352216-3F34-4965-9404-4DC8E7516D7D.jpeg

Oh wow...I didn't realize sugar was your main trigger...I'm sorry!! Did it kick you into craving mode? Make you sick? Or were you able to enjoy it and move on? 

Those pics are gorgeous!!! Beautiful girls you've got there, @Cheesehead!!

Sounds fantastic! My triggers are carbs, I love pizza and tacos. At 13 days post op, I can't imagine ever feeling that way. Congrats to you. BTW your hair is amazing!

22 minutes ago, CelticGirl said:

Sounds fantastic! My triggers are carbs, I love pizza and tacos. At 13 days post op, I can't imagine ever feeling that way. Congrats to you. BTW your hair is amazing!

@CelticGirl, pizza is one of my triggers too. But my triggers are all over the map. I have had pizza a couple of times post op, but I can only eat one slice, and I don't even think about going for a second one. Unlike a lot of folks on the forum, I have eaten the crust. But for 2-3 days afterward, I get terrible carb cravings. So I'm super careful to not make a habit out of eating it. Ice cream is another. Well it was, lol. Anything sweet just tastes TOO sweet now, and I dumped on soft ice cream a couple of weeks ago. Just a few bites. Had to pull the car over halfway to hubby's fishing spot to use a convenience store bathroom, and spent 20 minutes in there. NOT an experience I wish to repeat. It makes me wonder what was so great about ice cream before that made me eat so much of it. I have to stress, though, that I'm in maintenance...I'm not endorsing or suggesting trying anything off plan!! :) 

5 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Oh wow...I didn't realize sugar was your main trigger...I'm sorry!! Did it kick you into craving mode? Make you sick? Or were you able to enjoy it and move on? 

Those pics are gorgeous!!! Beautiful girls you've got there, @Cheesehead!!

Nope 2 bites and done.  She actually brought part of 3 cakes home.  I gave one away today.  Small amounts of sugar go down fine but large amounts do not.  Since I hadn’t had any real food in 2 days, took her and my hubby for Chinese today (her hubby was working).   Thinking I’m going through a take it or leave it phase with foods right now.  Protein bar for supper.  

@CelticGirl immediately after surgery I couldn’t imagine my world not revolving around food.  I craved chocolate chips, bloody Mary’s, pizza (got around that by putting a little spaghetti sauce on cottage cheese and warming it a little).  My job involves cooking, my hobby is reading recipes, I love to cook!  If anyone had told me I’d lose my appetite I’d have thought them crazy!  I still ask myself, “Do I really need that?”  You will get there, it will take time!

Beautiful girls, @Cheesehead! I'm glad you had a great day :) 

Thanks, @Cheesehead. It's always good to hear it will get better.

can't imagine having a job cooking while doing this!  My family has had 2 celebrations in restaurants lately and I had to beg off. I'm new (14 days) and I can't imagine the smells and watching people eat right now.  Maybe when I'm able to eat something along with them I won't mourn their food.

Take care,

Celtic Girl

22 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

@CelticGirl, pizza is one of my triggers too. But my triggers are all over the map. I have had pizza a couple of times post op, but I can only eat one slice, and I don't even think about going for a second one. Unlike a lot of folks on the forum, I have eaten the crust. But for 2-3 days afterward, I get terrible carb cravings. So I'm super careful to not make a habit out of eating it. Ice cream is another. Well it was, lol. Anything sweet just tastes TOO sweet now, and I dumped on soft ice cream a couple of weeks ago. Just a few bites. Had to pull the car over halfway to hubby's fishing spot to use a convenience store bathroom, and spent 20 minutes in there. NOT an experience I wish to repeat. It makes me wonder what was so great about ice cream before that made me eat so much of it. I have to stress, though, that I'm in maintenance...I'm not endorsing or suggesting trying anything off plan!! :) 

Nana Trish,

I totally understand. I'm sure it will be the same for me, but right now I'm dreaming of the days I can have a piece of pizza or a taco. I just keep telling myself 6 months. I have to be perfect for six months, then maybe I can chance  a bite of something off plan. That dumping syndrome scares the hell out of me. I'm still reaching for things in my mind, a cashew, a Frito, these are the things my mother eats that are tempting me.  Salty things. I stop myself of course, but it freaks me out. I started cooking for my mother again because I don't want her to suffer because I'm doing this. The smell of the Nathan hot dogs kills me, but I don't let on. I don't want her feeling bad.  I think the real challenge will be bacon. She mentioned she's been craving a bacon and egg sandwich. That will be tough, but I don't like to say no to her. I will endure. 

Thanks for your input.:rolleyes:

Wow what a fantastic NSV @Cheesehead (I nearly put cheesecake instead if your name lol, cake on the mind I guess :P) . The pictures turned out beautiful, you guys must have had a blast. 

I Confess that I did have a tiny piece of cake yesterday, might have been 100 calories it was that small. I felt very good about it, and my decision not to have anymore. However.... there was so much food at this graduation party that they would NOT let my partner and I leave without taking some food home ( I said no ty three times, no lie). So my partner emerged with two plated full of food, a slab of cake, and 12 hamburger buns. Danger, danger! 

Point of my story is that I behaved (somehow, not too sure how lol) and my chickens got to eat VERY well last night lol. Might get some sweeter than normal eggs next week :lol:

Thanks for sharing pics and stories from your big day with us, @Cheesehead! I do notice my tastes are changing, but still have some cravings. I haven't acted on them, because none of that feels very good going down. 

I love the beautiful pictures!! What a great day. And congrats again about the cake bites. You are the master of your domain!!!! 

3 hours ago, CelticGirl said:

Nana Trish,

I totally understand. I'm sure it will be the same for me, but right now I'm dreaming of the days I can have a piece of pizza or a taco. I just keep telling myself 6 months. I have to be perfect for six months, then maybe I can chance  a bite of something off plan. That dumping syndrome scares the hell out of me. I'm still reaching for things in my mind, a cashew, a Frito, these are the things my mother eats that are tempting me.  Salty things. I stop myself of course, but it freaks me out. I started cooking for my mother again because I don't want her to suffer because I'm doing this. The smell of the Nathan hot dogs kills me, but I don't let on. I don't want her feeling bad.  I think the real challenge will be bacon. She mentioned she's been craving a bacon and egg sandwich. That will be tough, but I don't like to say no to her. I will endure. 

Eating out the first time, I had refried beans at a Mexican restaurant.  Mexican seems to be an easier place to eat, just hold cheese sauce and ask for no extra oil added to the food, if it’s dry there’s always salsa once you can eat.  Fajitas to share;)

@Cheesehead congrats on marrying off another child (a beauty at that!) and congrats about the cake. That is awesome. 

Btw, mother of the bride picture PLEASE!!! ;) 

54 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Eating out the first time, I had refried beans at a Mexican restaurant.  Mexican seems to be an easier place to eat, just hold cheese sauce and ask for no extra oil added to the food, if it’s dry there’s always salsa once you can eat.  Fajitas to share;)

Sounds great @Cheesehead can you have melted cheese on it or is that what you call cheese sauce? 

6 hours ago, CelticGirl said:

Nana Trish,

CelticGirl,

Its so strange how different all of our post op experiences are. I remember coming out of my anesthetic haze after surgery, feeling deathly nauseated, and thinking about eating pizza. And how HORRID that thought was!! In that moment, I never ever wanted pizza again, lol...and I was never planning on eating it again. During my entire post op liquid phase, I didn’t give a rats a$$ if I ever ate solid food again! 

I was actually just over the 6 month mark when I ate anything off plan. And it was because of a super stressful family thing (my dad was dying from cancer), and we all know that’s the wrong reason to eat anything. I put myself into a month long stall because I was eating off plan and drinking wine and it was such disrespect to myself and my new pouch. Granted, I was not responsible for prepping meals for anyone else at the time (props to you for that!!) but I totally lost my way. Trust me when I say that staying the path is the best thing you can do for yourself. 

Dumping...ahh, dumping...that was my first real dumping episode. I never plan on repeating my mistake. It should scare you because it’s awful. But I can definitely see where your temptations are coming from. I’ll tell you right now, the junk food is NOT worth the price you’ll pay for eating it! Hang tough, girl...you’ll get through it. Be true to yourself and follow your plan. You’ll be so happy you did!! I’m 28 pounds below goal weight now, and I can’t even imagine going back to where I started ❤️

12 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

CelticGirl,

Its so strange how different all of our post op experiences are. I remember coming out of my anesthetic haze after surgery, feeling deathly nauseated, and thinking about eating pizza. And how HORRID that thought was!! In that moment, I never ever wanted pizza again, lol...and I was never planning on eating it again. During my entire post op liquid phase, I didn’t give a rats a$$ if I ever ate solid food again! 

I was actually just over the 6 month mark when I ate anything off plan. And it was because of a super stressful family thing (my dad was dying from cancer), and we all know that’s the wrong reason to eat anything. I put myself into a month long stall because I was eating off plan and drinking wine and it was such disrespect to myself and my new pouch. Granted, I was not responsible for prepping meals for anyone else at the time (props to you for that!!) but I totally lost my way. Trust me when I say that staying the path is the best thing you can do for yourself. 

Dumping...ahh, dumping...that was my first real dumping episode. I never plan on repeating my mistake. It should scare you because it’s awful. But I can definitely see where your temptations are coming from. I’ll tell you right now, the junk food is NOT worth the price you’ll pay for eating it! Hang tough, girl...you’ll get through it. Be true to yourself and follow your plan. You’ll be so happy you did!! I’m 28 pounds below goal weight now, and I can’t even imagine going back to where I started ❤️

Thank you, Nana Trish. You are an inspiration!

20 hours ago, CelticGirl said:

Sounds great @Cheesehead can you have melted cheese on it or is that what you call cheese sauce? 

Melted real cheese, there’s not much nutrition in the fake cheese sauce.  My mantra was, what’s in it for me (meaning what is the nutrition)..  I still slap melted cheese on grilled chicken and veggies.  And salsa of course..  I usually use home made salsa but have recently found a mango peach salsa made by Pace that is really good!

@CheeringCJ, here’s my picture.  I’m very none traditional.  Although no one told me I HAD to wear a dress this time I did.  In another daughters wedding 8 years ago I was told I HAD to.  I felt like a barn...let’s see if I can find that one..but I still shy away from pictures, lol!  No full length ones from before.  Second picture was 8 years ago her rehearsal of course I had capris on.  I had a black long skirt on in the first..  

5FB5BF55-2183-44D5-9C79-1F6804269D1F.jpeg

A01ABB49-BFBF-405D-B021-B6124BBC0D25.jpeg

ACF3875B-1124-47E4-A3B9-521C4F492003.jpeg

What a transformation!

I find it painful to look at my before pictures but I'm glad I have them all the same - looking at them keeps me focused on what I have to do to have continued success because I never want to be in that place again.

3 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

@CheeringCJ, here’s my picture.  I’m very none traditional.  Although no one told me I HAD to wear a dress this time I did.  In another daughters wedding 8 years ago I was told I HAD to.  I felt like a barn...let’s see if I can find that one..but I still shy away from pictures, lol!  No full length ones from before.  Second picture was 8 years ago her rehearsal of course I had capris on.  I had a black long skirt on in the first..  

5FB5BF55-2183-44D5-9C79-1F6804269D1F.jpeg

A01ABB49-BFBF-405D-B021-B6124BBC0D25.jpeg

ACF3875B-1124-47E4-A3B9-521C4F492003.jpeg

You do look so different and healthier! I like that dress with its non-symmetrical waist (or whatever you call it). I see the hat  you talked.about in your hubby's hand!!! Haha!  At least he took it off for the picture! ;)