tchau

Inconsistent sizing

I know some of you have commented on vanity sizing so I thought I'd share this here. Going to a camping music fest in a couple of weeks with daily costume themes. The themes don't fit with what I own so I've been shopping Goodwill and Poshmark to find costumes. It is going to be in the high 90's and not much shade other than in my tent so I decided to go with light cotton mini dresses so I can mist myself with water if I'm really hot and the fabric will dry quickly. I didn't want anything fitted - loose and flowly. Even a little baggy would be just fine as I'll be dancing and lounging around in the grass. Yesterday, two of my dresses arrived. Both are short, sleeveless and thin cotton. Different brands and I purchased them from differ sellers. Both are size L. One is so small and short it fits like a skin tight t-shirt on me. It barely reaches my hips! (I'm kind of wondering if it is actually a child's L.) The other is so big it is probably more like a size 18 than the 10/12 I was expecting. 

Yesterday I wore to work a dress that is size S. Today I'm wearing a dress that is a size L. They both fit me about the same. Crazy to me that there is such a delta on sizing!

40 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

I know some of you have commented on vanity sizing so I thought I'd share this here. Going to a camping music fest in a couple of weeks with daily costume themes. The themes don't fit with what I own so I've been shopping Goodwill and Poshmark to find costumes. It is going to be in the high 90's and not much shade other than in my tent so I decided to go with light cotton mini dresses so I can mist myself with water if I'm really hot and the fabric will dry quickly. I didn't want anything fitted - loose and flowly. Even a little baggy would be just fine as I'll be dancing and lounging around in the grass. Yesterday, two of my dresses arrived. Both are short, sleeveless and thin cotton. Different brands and I purchased them from differ sellers. Both are size L. One is so small and short it fits like a skin tight t-shirt on me. It barely reaches my hips! (I'm kind of wondering if it is actually a child's L.) The other is so big it is probably more like a size 18 than the 10/12 I was expecting. 

Yesterday I wore to work a dress that is size S. Today I'm wearing a dress that is a size L. They both fit me about the same. Crazy to me that there is such a delta on sizing!

It is maddening sometimes!  I love to shop online and it would be so much easier if sizing was consistent.  BTW, your event sounds like a blast, have fun!!!

This makes shopping online VERY difficult!! A great lesson in "the size on the tag does not define you." 

Have a fun time at the festival - it sounds like a good one :) You know we expect pictures now, right?

I went through a spell post-WLS when I cut the labels out of every piece of clothing and underwear I bought because the inconsistencies in sizing messed with my mind.  It didn't matter that I lined them up and measured them with a tape and they were the same width across the bust and hips.

I refused to let a higher number dictate my mood for the day.

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

I went through a spell post-WLS when I cut the labels out of every piece of clothing and underwear I bought because the inconsistencies in sizing messed with my mind.  It didn't matter that I lined them up and measured them with a tape and they were the same width across the bust and hips.

I refused to let a higher number dictate my mood for the day.

AGAIN, more @cinwabrilliance! Thank you!

I usually wear medium but have everything from s to l in my wardrobe.  I may even have an xl.  I won’t order online unless I’m very familiar with the brand (Kohls and Maurice’s).  I don’t understand why we don’t have universal sizing...

steph, that music fest sounds like fun!  Sure beats camping for diving!

57 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I usually wear medium but have everything from s to l in my wardrobe.  I may even have an xl.  I won’t order online unless I’m very familiar with the brand (Kohls and Maurice’s).  I don’t understand why we don’t have universal sizing...

steph, that music fest sounds like fun!  Sure beats camping for diving!

I agree Universal Sizing!!!!

I'd MUCH rather go diving but I am looking forward to this festival. My next husband, Sturgill Simpson, is playing. :wub:

20 hours ago, cinwa said:

It didn't matter that I lined them up and measured them with a tape and they were the same width across the bust and hips.

I was at the Gap today, trying on jeans. One store, one brand. For some pairs, 26 (2) was my best fit. Others, 27 (4). Still others, 28 (6). There was one pair that was too small in 28 and another pair that was too big in 26. That's ONE STORE and ONE BRAND. How on earth are we supposed to find clothes that fit correctly? Take in 3 sizes of each pair? Yes, I guess so.

9 hours ago, Stephtay said:

I agree Universal Sizing!!!!

Now that's something I'd consider marching in the streets to bring about.

In contrast, men's clothes sizing is quite constant and predictable.  I wonder why sizing for women's clothing is not as predictable. Any ideas?

*whispery voice* If a pair of jeans is labeled size 4 but have stretch, are the jeans really size 4? :lol:

Thanks @Stephtay for starting this thread. I’m annoyed that I have to try everything on in one store. I went to Primark (an Irish store that has a few locations in the US) and bought a woman’s XL t-shirt, size 6 shorts, size 2 shorts, size 8 overalls and a couple of children’s XL t-shirts. I was wearing a pair of Lucky Jeans in size 4 (see above). W to the T EFF?? 

@Res Ipsa I don’t have an answer to your question but some of the inconsistencies come from the cut of clothing. I’ll use @Jen581791 as an example. She and I are somewhat similar in height and weight (although she’s a skinny minnie). We have the exact opposite body shape. She is slim where I am thick and therefore a size 4 that fits her may not fit me. That doesn’t explain everything but it’s one reason.  

56 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

That doesn’t explain everything but it’s one reason.

Yes, women's bodies do tend to vary more in shape than men's. Like with men, if the waist is the right size and the length is the right size, you're good to go! :lol: Women also wear their clothing a lot more tightly, in general, so the cuts aren't very forgiving. Like I have wide knees and a small waist, so if I buy skinny jeans I usually have to size up. If I buy pleated pants, I have to size down. Men also benefit from having sizes that actually correlate to a real world thing: inches! Women's sizes are based on nothing at all. Just imaginary numbers.

Speaking of buying pants... I splashed out at the weird discount store near me last night in a celebration of not having to wear black and navy on the bottom half of me all the time in order to "not look fat" (who was I kidding?). They had some good brands of pants (Benetton, Ann Taylor, Camaieu) for like $10-$12 each. I don't know where they get them and I'm not asking. I bought FIVE PAIRS of brightly colored pants because I can wear brightly colored pants now. I bought green, pink, and light orange pleated pants, dark raspberry skinny jeans, and bright orange jeans to replace the bright orange jeans I bought when I got to GW but that are two sizes too big now. They are SO BRIGHT. I'm dressing with a four-year-old's sense of color these days. LOOK AT ME. 

But yeah, the sizes? European 38 in one brand, 34 in another, and US size 6 in another, which is about a 36, I think. The 38s are the tightest, the 34s are the loosest. I had to take three sizes of each kind into the dressing room. 

1 hour ago, NerdyToothpick said:

*whispery voice* If a pair of jeans is labeled size 4 but have stretch, are the jeans really size 4? :lol:

do you need pliers to zip them up? 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

do you need pliers to zip them up? 

giphy.gif

@Jen581791 HOW DARE YOU?

7E6E2AFD-E7C1-45E8-B982-28B4E9B0907B.gif

9 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Yes, women's bodies do tend to vary more in shape than men's. Like with men, if the waist is the right size and the length is the right size, you're good to go! :lol: Women also wear their clothing a lot more tightly, in general, so the cuts aren't very forgiving. Like I have wide knees and a small waist, so if I buy skinny jeans I usually have to size up. If I buy pleated pants, I have to size down. Men also benefit from having sizes that actually correlate to a real world thing: inches! Women's sizes are based on nothing at all. Just imaginary numbers.

Speaking of buying pants... I splashed out at the weird discount store near me last night in a celebration of not having to wear black and navy on the bottom half of me all the time in order to "not look fat" (who was I kidding?). They had some good brands of pants (Benetton, Ann Taylor, Camaieu) for like $10-$12 each. I don't know where they get them and I'm not asking. I bought FIVE PAIRS of brightly colored pants because I can wear brightly colored pants now. I bought green, pink, and light orange pleated pants, dark raspberry skinny jeans, and bright orange jeans to replace the bright orange jeans I bought when I got to GW but that are two sizes too big now. They are SO BRIGHT. I'm dressing with a four-year-old's sense of color these days. LOOK AT ME. 

But yeah, the sizes? European 38 in one brand, 34 in another, and US size 6 in another, which is about a 36, I think. The 38s are the tightest, the 34s are the loosest. I had to take three sizes of each kind into the dressing room. 

I need photos. 

7B7E14BC-942C-40B2-95DE-6D84225AB159.gif

3 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

I need photos. 

7B7E14BC-942C-40B2-95DE-6D84225AB159.gif

Soon, my precious.

On 7/4/2018 at 9:58 PM, Jen581791 said:

Soon, my precious.

Promises, promises...

15 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Promises, promises...

I posted a couple on the NSVs thread! 

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I posted a couple on the NSVs thread! 

Jen, after I posted I realized that must have been the case. Fingers were engaged before my brain. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Jen, after I posted I realized that must have been the case. Fingers were engaged before my brain. :ph34r:

You're forgiven. I guess I could always post some more...

Just now, Jen581791 said:

You're forgiven. I guess I could always post some more...

Maybe the new contest should be, "look at what crazy skinny person clothes I could get into only with pliers." You know, you have to use pliers to get into 'em in order to post it. 

Going back to the thread topic, wouldn't assume men's clothes are more regularly fitted! I have 36" pants that seem 1-2" too big (implying a 34-35" waist), and yet the belts I have been wearing are 38". 

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Maybe the new contest should be, "look at what crazy skinny person clothes I could get into only with pliers." You know, you have to use pliers to get into 'em in order to post it. 

Going back to the thread topic, wouldn't assume men's clothes are more regularly fitted! I have 36" pants that seem 1-2" too big (implying a 34-35" waist), and yet the belts I have been wearing are 38". 

Yes, my husband's clothing size varies from store to store - but at least it's nominally pegged to the inch. Women's sizes are completely imaginary things. I wear size 4 (usually). Four what? That's 8 UK. Eight what? 

7 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Yes, my husband's clothing size varies from store to store - but at least it's nominally pegged to the inch. Women's sizes are completely imaginary things. I wear size 4 (usually). Four what? That's 8 UK. Eight what? 

Ah! 8 hemi-demi-semi Trishes = 4 demi-semi Trishes. Doesn't that clarify things? :confused:

8 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I have two new (on sale) jeggings that would qualify for that picture. First clothes purchases since surgery where I didn't try them on before buying because I've had that brand before and just couldn't be bothered taking off boots etc to try them. I tried them on when I was changing for bed last night and could  only just squeeze into them. Oh well, 2-3 more kg lost wouldn't hurt this old Aussie Bear!