CarlMarch

New from Arkansas

My name is Carl and I have completed my pre-op testing and just waiting for the Bariatric Psych evaluation.  I have thought doing the surgery for several years, but did not have insurance that would pay for the surgery.  I am currently 476 pounds and my target weight is 220.  This forum has already helped me in so many ways and I look forward to reading even more. 

I have been a big boy all my life but when I got married it got even worse.  I ballooned up to 375 around the beginning of 2010, but was able to drop 100#'s in 9 months to weigh 275 in May of 2011.  Over the course of the next 2 years I would gain the original 100 pounds back and then add an additional 100 pounds.  The most I ever weighed was 496 pounds this past March.  I have since dropped about 20 pounds.  I found out that I my insurance would pay for the Gastric Bypass surgery about a month ago, it completely surprised me and I give the glory to God, because everyone we talked to said they wouldn't pay.  I am anxious and scared all at the same time.  The threads that I have read so far on this forum has been very enlightening. I appreciate the time that has gone into moderating and writing in these forums.

Thank you.

Edited by CarlMarch

Welcome! Exciting times ahead for sure. It's normal to be nervous, but try to transform your nervousness into excitement. It's more fun. And when it's over, you'll wonder what there was to even be nervous about. 

Congrats on making such an impactful decision. Your weight yoyo history sounds very familiar to me! Fortunately with RNY, you will have a tool that will enable you to not just lose but keep it off. It involves some hard work, but if you've previously lost 100 pounds, you've definitely got the willpower and discipline to do it! 

Welcome and best luck.

Welcome to Thinner Times Carl and congratulations on taking the first steps towards a healthier (and happier) future.

It is a scary process for sure but for me, the risks of doing nothing and probably getting heavier was more frightening.

Welcome Carl.  I have never regretted having a gastric bypass, as it allowed me to become thin, healthy and much more active.  

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey!  

By the way, your goal weight looks a bit high for a guy who is 5'9" - I am a guy a couple of inches taller than you and found that for me my ideal weight is around 183 pounds.  I know that being in "onederland" may seem impossible for you now, but if you get a gastric bypass and stick to the program there is no reason that you cannot reach your body's ideal weight.

6 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Welcome Carl.  I have never regretted having a gastric bypass, as it allowed me to become thin, healthy and much more active.  

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey!  

By the way, your goal weight looks a bit high for a guy who is 5'9" - I am a guy a couple of inches taller than you and found that for me my ideal weight is around 183 pounds.  I know that being in "onederland" may seem impossible for you now, but if you get a gastric bypass and stick to the program there is no reason that you cannot reach your body's ideal weight.

Thanks Res, I set my goal weight to what I weighed when I felt my best.  I think that the ideal weight is around 169 or close to that, but I don't think that I would want to lose down to that weight.  My primary goal is to be healthy.  If I need to get down below 200 for that I would definitely be willing to do it.  The information that I have gleaned in just my short time lurking thru the pages is amazing. I knew that it wasn't going to be an easy journey and that the biggest battle would be in my head, but to have that validated by the posts that I have read gave me hope.  I realize that the GB is not a cure for my problem, but it is a tool to help get me in the place that I can deal and overcome the problem. I am determined to be successful and deal with the good and bad of the surgery.   

Hi Carl! And welcome. I'm also in Arkansas, but on the other side of the state. I don't post a whole lot these days (work got nuts and I don't have tons of time), but I'm glad I popped in to see what's happening and saw a fellow Arkansan on here! 

You'll do great! My goal weight is a little "high," too, but it was a goal I came to with the help of my clinicians and knowing my own health needs and goals. I can always adjust if I need/want to! 

I was pretty shocked that insurance would pay for mine, too. I had never really considered surgery as an option until I was looking through my insurance paperwork and noticed that it was covered. We're lucky! 

Welcome, Carl! This is a great site with alot of wise members in different parts of their journey. Stay here and get healthy with us!