tracyringo

Hemorrhoids , ugh

Do any of you have a problem with hemorrhoids ?   They sent me to the Dr for them yesterday and I am having out patient surgery on Tuesday.  I have had them for years but with being on this protein diet they have become worse and flare up so bad that I can hardly take the pain at times.  Would love to hear from someone else who has had the surgery, as I am having anxiety about the whole situation now. They were going to do a colonoscopy also but when I found out I had to drink a gallon of some junk they give you I cancelled that part of it cause there is no way I can drink a gallon of anything yet. lol:blink:

Oh @tracyringo...I feel your pain, literally!! I have had trouble with hemorrhoids for years. Long before WLS...I have diverticulitis to blame for mine. I haven’t needed surgery yet, but they are bad. Mine bleed on a regular basis. The high protein, low carb diet is bad for them. But we can’t change that part of it. I’m praying for you, my friend!! My surgeon said it’s safe for me to take 5 colace tablets a day, and I have been. It helps a lot because I don’t have to strain to go. Hang in there...good luck with surgery! ❤️❤️❤️

1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

Oh @tracyringo...I feel your pain, literally!! I have had trouble with hemorrhoids for years. Long before WLS...I have diverticulitis to blame for mine. I haven’t needed surgery yet, but they are bad. Mine bleed on a regular basis. The high protein, low carb diet is bad for them. But we can’t change that part of it. I’m praying for you, my friend!! My surgeon said it’s safe for me to take 5 colace tablets a day, and I have been. It helps a lot because I don’t have to strain to go. Hang in there...good luck with surgery! ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks Trish.  I thinking of going on liquid diet for a few weeks starting Monday, not that I really want to.  Any suggestion for foods that would make it easy on my colon would be appreciated.

I work in endoscopy now, so I see them on a regular basis, although Im lucky to have never really experienced them on my own. 

The gallon stuff for your cscope should be split in half, and you drink each half over a couple hours (usually half at 6pm the night before, and the other half 6 hours prior to your appointment time), so its not quite as bad as it seems, but then...if theyre already planning on doing surgery, the scope isn't really necessary - unless you've never had one, as you're the right age for your initial screening one! Colon cancer sucks, ya'll, get screened.

20 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Do any of you have a problem with hemorrhoids ?   They sent me to the Dr for them yesterday and I am having out patient surgery on Tuesday.  I have had them for years but with being on this protein diet they have become worse and flare up so bad that I can hardly take the pain at times.  Would love to hear from someone else who has had the surgery, as I am having anxiety about the whole situation now. They were going to do a colonoscopy also but when I found out I had to drink a gallon of some junk they give you I cancelled that part of it cause there is no way I can drink a gallon of anything yet. lol:blink:

Tracy - talk with your surgeon about using bottled magnesium citrate (Walmart, Walgreens etc.).

These are the instructions for a colonoscopy:  Drink 15 fluid ounces (a bottle and a half) of magnesium citrate (do not use the red or purple). To improve the taste, chill it ahead of time. Immediately after drinking magnesium citrate, drink at least 2 to 3 eight ounce glasses of clear liquids. The laxative effect can begin within 1‐4 hours.

I used a straw as far back in my mouth as I could tolerate to bypass as many tastebuds as I could - even with the flavouring, the taste isn't brilliant.

16 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Thanks Trish.  I thinking of going on liquid diet for a few weeks starting Monday, not that I really want to.  Any suggestion for foods that would make it easy on my colon would be appreciated.

I had to do liquids for 3 weeks last summer after my hospitalization for diverticulitis, and I pretty much did protein shakes, yogurt, SF jello and ice pops, and LOTS of broth (with unjury protein powder) and water. You will need to give your body (by that, I mean your butt :P gotta add a little humor, right?) time to recouperate, and the liquids will definitely help. Try to hang in there, girl. They will fix you up! Praying for you ❤️

Oh and just a PS, @tracyringo...you should reconsider the colonoscopy (unless you had one recently, like pre op WLS or something like that). I had one done last September...only 4 months post op, and I had no trouble getting the prep down. My previous one was done in January of 2016, as part of my WLS clearance, but they wanted to repeat it after divertic. I was knocked out both times, and didn't feel a thing. Looking out for you❤️

Had both the colonoscopy and hemorrhoidectomy  done this morning and the pain is so unbelievable, don't know how I am going to get through this.  Please pray for me.

Edited by tracyringo

Oh, I'm so sorry, @tracyringo! How awful. Prayers sent & continuing. Be sure your doctor knows you're in pain.

5 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Had both the colonoscopy and hemorrhoidectomy  done this morning and the pain is so unbelievable, don't know how I am going to get through this.  Please pray for me.

Tracy, put a call into your doc.  You should not have to deal with that.

@Gretta @cinwa I called the hospital last night it was so bad all I could do is cry.They told me to do a sitz bath that did help. Called the Dr. and they said we told you it would be painful and to take my medicine, which I have on schedule. I cannot eat, I tried applesauce yesterday and threw it right back up. I have never even thrown up since I had the sleeve.  So I gonna just drink 2 protein shakes a day and water. I am also having a hard time urinating (wonder if my partially disdented bladder has something to do with it), I am not sleeping either, 15 minutes or so at a time.  I would rather go through labor or another hip replacement then this.  Hopefully the intensity of it all will start subsiding soon.

Oh Tracy :unsure: I’m so so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place with the pain and nausea! Is the bladder condition new or something that was pre existing before the hemorrhoids? If I was going through this, I personally would call the doctor back if you don’t get any relief with the pain meds after a few more hours. Either request something stronger, or maybe go to the ER. In the meantime, try to repeat the sitz bath as often as it’s allowed...and if you can drink the protein shakes and keep them down, DEFINITELY do that! I’m sending you all of my best hugs and prayers that this pain and vomiting stops soon! ❤️❤️❤️

Oh, Tracy, what a nightmare! I'm so sorry!

@tracyringo So sorry to hear this, so painful!

Have bought psyllium powder that is very finely ground and dissolves in liquids... bulks up my stools so I almost never have to strain. I put ~ 8 grams into a Premier Protein shake most mornings for breakfast, and if I eat a protein bar during the day I eat the Costco ones with 15 grams of fiber (they were just reformulated and taste much better than they used to). 

Oh @tracyringo, my prayers will be going out to you tonight for sure. Can you request a topical lidocane from your doc? Pain meds will only constipate, so I understand if they can't give much in that department. Honestly - there must be SOMETHING they can do for you. I think these docs need a stern talking to. >.<

4 hours ago, tracyringo said:

@Gretta @cinwa I called the hospital last night it was so bad all I could do is cry.They told me to do a sitz bath that did help. Called the Dr. and they said we told you it would be painful and to take my medicine, which I have on schedule. I cannot eat, I tried applesauce yesterday and threw it right back up. I have never even thrown up since I had the sleeve.  So I gonna just drink 2 protein shakes a day and water. I am also having a hard time urinating (wonder if my partially disdented bladder has something to do with it), I am not sleeping either, 15 minutes or so at a time.  I would rather go through labor or another hip replacement then this.  Hopefully the intensity of it all will start subsiding soon. 

Soo sorry Tracy and praying for you hun <3

Oh no, Tracy! I truly do feel for you. I suffer from opioid induced constipation (OIC) and have hemorrhoids for years now. They have been so bad that they would bleed. Extremely painful. After the bleeding episode, I never let myself get to that point again. I take Miralax daily and sometimes twice daily.

I agree with Bugzzz though. There is no excuse for a Dr letting a patient suffer in pain this day and age.:mad: I will keep you in my thoughts and pray that you heal quickly and the pain is gone swiftly. Hang in there. It has to get better.

Just wanted to check in on you @tracyringo.  How are you doing today?

22 hours ago, TammyP said:

Just wanted to check in on you @tracyringo.  How are you doing today?

Today is better, but I haven't eaten anything since Monday  morning aside from a yogurt and protein shake on  Wednesday and Thursday.  I am scared but I know I have to start eating more, so I had applesauce this morning and I plan on eating something 3 times a day starting today.  

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, Readytobeme said:

Oh no, Tracy! I truly do feel for you. I suffer from opioid induced constipation (OIC) and have hemorrhoids for years now. They have been so bad that they would bleed. Extremely painful. After the bleeding episode, I never let myself get to that point again. I take Miralax daily and sometimes twice daily.

I agree with Bugzzz though. There is no excuse for a Dr letting a patient suffer in pain this day and age.:mad: I will keep you in my thoughts and pray that you heal quickly and the pain is gone swiftly. Hang in there. It has to get better.

I started on Miralax yesterday, I figure I will go tonight or tomorrow. This is the worst thing you can do to yourself as far as I am concerned.

As far as the dr. office goes, I am reporting them as soon as I feel better and I wont be going there for the 3 week check up I gonna go somewhere else

I was on daily Miralax for months post-WLS.  My surgeon put everyone on it and I came home with huge tubs of the generic.

Don't be concerned if it takes a day or three to work Tracy.  It is excellent stuff and the least abdominally distressing.  And don't forget, a little bit of applesauce isn't going to produce much waste.

Above all, keep up with your fluids.

Went to the ER this morning.  My wound was still oozing and my bf thought I might have an infection, luckily I didn't.  They offered to put a catheter in me although the Dr. said she would not do it if it were her since I am able to get some out. She did give me a script for 2 days worth of oxycodone, which I appreciate. She said it would work better for the pain.  As soon as I can get off these pills I will start back to eating. I don't want to have to go to the bathroom constipated.  I am sticking to a full liquid diet for now.

Edited by tracyringo

Ouch ouch ouch! I really hope this gets better soon, Tracy. It sounds truly awful. Sending you healing hugs.

Thank you @Gretta, I am feeling much better today.  

So glad your feeling a bit better Tracy, one day at a time hun.