vickeyanne62

Met My Deductible. Please Help With a Question

I met my deductible with Aetna PPO, but the 20% that I have to pay is still high. 
I have to pay the hospital $4600. and the doctor $1500. and his assistant $400.

This is all out of pocket. It might not sound like much for some
people, but it is for us. I applied for CareCredit and they gave me
a $17000. limit. I called to see if the hospital and my doctor
excepted it and they don't.

My husband had surgery at the same hospital 5 years ago, and they
excepted it then. That's why I didn't ask before I applied.

We have a credit card, but that is a last resort. Because the interest
rate is so high. 

If anyone has any financing idea's, please let me know.

Thanks

Even being out of pocket, will the hospital not work on a payment plan with you?

I had to pay 20% out of pocket as well, and my amounts were similar to yours, around 6k total. I had to pay 2k prior to being able to schedule surgery, but I was able to do the rest on a payment plan with the hospital, which I am still paying off. 

I would also ask the financial advisor why the carecredit was accepted for your husband and not you. 

A total of $6,500 is a lot of money for anyone!  

I suggest that you contact the finance office of the hospital (since that is by far the largest amount) and ask them if they can offer you a payment plan, a discount, interest free financing, etc.  If the person who answers the phone is not helpful, (politely) ask to speak to a manager.  They really should be able to offer you some options besides payment in full prior to surgery.  if not, grrrr. :angry:

@vickeyanne62 Have to reinforce @Res Ipsa's comment - usually hospitals are willing to work out a plan. 

Let me praise you for not dismissing surgery out of hand because of the co-pay. This is a lot of $$$ but it is a lot of $ less than the co-pays you might pay in the future if you have a complication of obesity such as diabetes needing hospitalization or (God forbid) a stroke or heart attack. You are, after all, reducing the very real risks of death and disability from obesity  --  and - - - 

Maybe you  could pay this off over 5 years....

I will easily eat $6500 less food over the coming 5 years ($110 a month x 60 months) - - - not everyone has a decrease in their food budget but many do, and my household certainly has.  For example, I now almost always bring my lunch to work. In the past I went out and had lunch outside work. Within 3 blocks of my office there must be > 50 restaurants offering lunch specials. My costs must be $2 (bring lunch) versus $6-$20 (restaurant lunch). Just the difference between $2 a day and $6 a day is $80 saved a month ($4 a day x 20 work days in a month = $80). So not even considering dinner, which is where most of our household food costs reside, I would be 80/110 the way there. 

Perhaps those observations will  help you as you look at your own situation, if you are on the fence about the surgery on the basis of costs. 

17 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Let me praise you for not dismissing surgery out of hand because of the co-pay. 

Absolutely this ^^^

I'm really pleased to see that you’re trying to figure out how to make it work instead of giving up because it’s expensive. In the long run, WLS is worth every penny in my experience. 

I did my surgery in Mexico and paid out of pocket because my US insurance didn’t cover it at all. My Mexico expenses were a bit more that your co-pay, but for me, it has been 1000% worth it. 

I hope your hospital can help you with s payment plan. 

I had a 5k deductible with BCBSTX.  The hospital worked out a payment plan for me to pay $100 per month (2k down at surgery).  I have $350 left! :)