Animalrescuer18

Mourning the loss of food?

Hi everyone, I guess we all know that a huge part of losing weight is in our heads. I had VSG on Monday, June 18th and today is my official mourning of the foods I love day. Isn’t it weird how our brain and stomach disagree on what we “need” to eat. Maybe it’s because I’m feeling weak and haven’t gotten my energy back after surgery but for some strange reason I have been thinking of all the food I love today. Even the food I loved as a child. Isn’t that crazy?! Maybe I’m bored because I don’t feel like doing much yet. Still having a bit of reflux. And of course my stomach is still sore. I’d like to be working and doing my normal daily activities so I guess it’s just a melancholy day. I’m VERY happy my surgery is done and I’m headed toward a much healthier life. Thought I would just share my feelings today to see if anyone else experienced this a few days after surgery. 

Could be because you are also starting on a new path, and I'm sure quite sore starting on this path. Its only understandable that you would be thinking of all the comfort foods that have gotten you through hard times in the past. I found the first three months were the worst for me in regards to this issue, especially because I love to cook so much. But it will get easier, especially as you go through the different stages of the diet. (Ricotta bake is a must try in soft food stage BTW ;) as long as lactose intolerance is not an issue).

I almost felt like I was going through a breakup... Losing someone I loved, and someone who has stayed beside me through years. So I really did have to acknowledge that, and get to the point where I could let that old friend go. W want to change, so its imperative that we form new relationships with food during our journey. And in all honesty, no it isn't easy, but it is fun! I cook so many new dishes now, and can afford higher quality foods now because my shopping trends in grocery stores have changed drastically (allowing me some extra moula$$). Basically, it is going to be new, a bit Scarry at times, but beyond rewarding that is going to get you closer and closer to your dreams. ;)

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

All that you and @Ladybugzzz86 have to say about the emotional aspect of the changes you're going through are totally true. You're facing lots of changes in your relationship with food, which is a good thing if you're anything like me! :) 

At the same time, the physiological changes your body is going through are also causing your brain to obsess about food - in this early liquids-only phase, your body really probably thinks its starving (although you'll be just fine, just stay on top of your protein and liquid goals). It's been well documented that people going through that tend to think about food a lot, with good reason, evolutionarily speaking. So, this is all totally normal and expected - you're not alone in feeling this way. I hope your recovery is going well.

A greatvreflection .

Typing it out all ways helps so keep in putting your thoughts

16 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

All that you and @Ladybugzzz86 have to say about the emotional aspect of the changes you're going through are totally true. You're facing lots of changes in your relationship with food, which is a good thing if you're anything like me! :) 

At the same time, the physiological changes your body is going through are also causing your brain to obsess about food - in this early liquids-only phase, your body really probably thinks its starving (although you'll be just fine, just stay on top of your protein and liquid goals). It's been well documented that people going through that tend to think about food a lot, with good reason, evolutionarily speaking. So, this is all totally normal and expected - you're not alone in feeling this way. I hope your recovery is going well.

Thanks! Recovery is going well. I’m getting a bit stronger each day:D

My daughter and son in law had surgery Monday.  She was telling me today how good refried beans sounded.  Her hubby who hates refried beans was saying it even sounded good to him, lol!  It will get better!  

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, Animalrescuer18 said:

Hi everyone, I guess we all know that a huge part of losing weight is in our heads. I had VSG on Monday, June 18th and today is my official mourning of the foods I love day. Isn’t it weird how our brain and stomach disagree on what we “need” to eat. Maybe it’s because I’m feeling weak and haven’t gotten my energy back after surgery but for some strange reason I have been thinking of all the food I love today. Even the food I loved as a child. Isn’t that crazy?! Maybe I’m bored because I don’t feel like doing much yet. Still having a bit of reflux. And of course my stomach is still sore. I’d like to be working and doing my normal daily activities so I guess it’s just a melancholy day. I’m VERY happy my surgery is done and I’m headed toward a much healthier life. Thought I would just share my feelings today to see if anyone else experienced this a few days after surgery. 

In the beginning I would tell myself its not forever its  just for now, as time goes on and you become accustomed to the diet you will not think of those comfort foods 24/7 and will start enjoying healthier foods as you see the weight come off. ( This has been my case anyways) Their are alternatives that are pretty good and have nutrients that we WLS patients need.

It took me 2-3 months to start feeling normal again and not tired all of the time. Some people get passed this part quicker then others and hopefully for you that will be the case.

Sorry you are dealing with reflux but as your stomach heals and is not as swollen it will get better too. Welcome to the losers bench !!

On 6/22/2018 at 11:13 PM, Cheesehead said:

My daughter and son in law had surgery Monday.  She was telling me today how good refried beans sounded.  Her hubby who hates refried beans was saying it even sounded good to him, lol!  It will get better!  

Hi @Cheesehead  I’m with your son in law. No refried beans for me either. Lol. I love beans but I think mashed up beans is just a texture I don’t like.

I am getting stronger each day and slowly getting accustomed to the tiny amount my new small tummy will hold. I am so happy I had the surgery even though it hasn’t even been a week yet. I have been learning new healthy recipes for the past few months. My hubby is even on the healthy eating bandwagon with me:D 

12 hours ago, tracyringo said:

In the beginning I would tell myself its not forever its  just for now, as time goes on and you become accustomed to the diet you will not think of those comfort foods 24/7 and will start enjoying healthier foods as you see the weight come off. ( This has been my case anyways) Their are alternatives that are pretty good and have nutrients that we WLS patients need.

It took me 2-3 months to start feeling normal again and not tired all of the time. Some people get passed this part quicker then others and hopefully for you that will be the case.

Sorry you are dealing with reflux but as your stomach heals and is not as swollen it will get better too. Welcome to the losers bench !!

Hi @tracyringo . I was just telling my hubby how strange it was that for about 2 days after my surgery, I suppose I was having head hunger. It seemed all I thought about was food! Haha I guess our bodies go through crazy things when we feed it junk for all those years and all of a sudden we take the junk away and go on a liquid diet. Then we alter our body by having part of the stomach removed. I suppose it’s no wonder it screws with our minds a bit in the process. I have already been enjoying watching some lbs drop off. I still have almost 100 lbs to go but I know I will be more and more encouraged as I start to get energy and feel like doing all the things I enjoy! One day at a time!! We’ve got this!!!:D

8 hours ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

Hi @Cheesehead  I’m with your son in law. No refried beans for me either. Lol. I love beans but I think mashed up beans is just a texture I don’t like.

I am getting stronger each day and slowly getting accustomed to the tiny amount my new small tummy will hold. I am so happy I had the surgery even though it hasn’t even been a week yet. I have been learning new healthy recipes for the past few months. My hubby is even on the healthy eating bandwagon with me:D 

My hubby lost 15 pounds the first few months..  if you haven’t yet, the worldaccordingtoeggface.com has some good wls recipes..