.:princesszelda:.

Hair falling out 4 months after weight loss surgery

So, as the title says, 4 months after weight loss surgery, my hair is falling out. I thought I would be one of the few individuals whose hair would not fall out, but alas, that is not the case. I know people lose about a 100 strands of hair a day, but what I am experiencing is not that. It is probably 2 or 3 times the normal amount. When I take a shower, it is probably 3 or 4 times the normal amount. I have had to clean the shower drain a lot more than usual because the water would not drain right because of the hair that would collect in the shower drain. 

I was made aware that I was going to lose hair, but I expected it to be a month or two after surgery, not 4 months after surgery. I am curious as to why people lose hair after surgery. It is not just weight loss surgery patients that lose hair; it is everyone that has had any type of major surgery. The people I know who have had major surgery in the past have made the comment that they lost some hair a month after surgery. 

I guess my questions are the following:

• Why am I losing hair? Is it because of my body not getting enough nutrients? Is it because of my body going through such a major type of surgery that it is still trying to work through that type of "stress"?
  • Why did I lose hair 4 months after surgery instead of the usual month or two?

My doctor warned me that it was normal for hair loss after surgery, but I guess it caught me by surprise as I thought I was able to avoid that part. I usually have thick straight, brown hair, but now, my hair is not as thick as it was two or three weeks ago as the hair loss started about a week or two ago.

I lost tons of hair months 4 through 7. My (limited) understanding is it's because of the stress of surgery on your body (throws the hair growth cycles out of whack). It doesn't last forever. 

Sorry you’re dealing with hair loss - it’s not fun while it lasts, but it does stop eventually. Thank goodness.

If you’re interested in the science of it, Chemistry Queen on Youtube has a whole video explaining why it happens and what it means about what’s going on with your body. The video is called “hair loss” or something like that. Chemistry Queen is a scientist, as her screen name implies, and she’s an amazingly successful WLS person, as well. She’s very cheerful and upbeat, and also very honest in her videos. 

It does get better, but it will take some time. I was losing handfuls of hair each day starting at month 4 ... And still do but not nearly as much. My hairdresser told me that I have lots of baby hairs starting to grow now lol, so that makes me hopeful. Perhaps some biotin supplements may help you through this too? Very mixed reviews on it, but some people swear by them post WLS. You are not alone :)

Its a common occurrence 2-4 months after any major surgery or other stress like significant infection. Part of it is our bodies under stress shunt nutrients to the areas that need it most, like the heart and lungs and muscles. Unfortunately, our bodies quite well understand that hair growth is not necessary for survival. The process actually starts immediately after surgery, we just dont see the fallout (no pun intended) for a few months, depending on where your hair was in the growth cycle at the time of stress.

I'm 6 months out and still struggling with it - like you, I started seeing loss around 3 months. I have very thin, fine hair to start with, and had a bit of a baldish spot on top from hypothyroidism as well - its not fun, but my surgeon reassures me it will end soon, and eventually start growing back. 

In the meantime, make sure you are hitting your protein and vitamins to make sure when you get to the end of the shedding, you are ready to nurture some new hair!