NoT_NoShade

First Time(r) for Everything

Well I didn’t think I would be adding anything until after surgery but here I am awake the morning of at 6:30am...my ride will be here at 11am to get me to the hospital for check in at 12:30, my surgery is scheduled for 2:30. All the thoughts that I read about are going through my head right now like “am I doing the right thing?”, “why bypass and not the sleeve?”, “what if something goes wrong?”, “maybe I can do this without surgery”. Arrrgghh I hate my mind right now lol. I even sent an email to my surgeon asking him why we chose bypass over the sleeve. Guess I’m having doubt jitters. Just need to calm down and relax. I definitely will ask them to give me something at the hospital to relax me haha. Well better get started getting things together. Will chat at y’all later with some good news when it’s all over...ttfn...Tony

34 minutes ago, NoT_NoShade said:

Well I didn’t think I would be adding anything until after surgery but here I am awake the morning of at 6:30am...my ride will be here at 11am to get me to the hospital for check in at 12:30, my surgery is scheduled for 2:30. All the thoughts that I read about are going through my head right now like “am I doing the right thing?”, “why bypass and not the sleeve?”, “what if something goes wrong?”, “maybe I can do this without surgery”. Arrrgghh I hate my mind right now lol. I even sent an email to my surgeon asking him why we chose bypass over the sleeve. Guess I’m having doubt jitters. Just need to calm down and relax. I definitely will ask them to give me something at the hospital to relax me haha. Well better get started getting things together. Will chat at y’all later with some good news when it’s all over...ttfn...Tony

I didn't sleep at all the night before. The good thing is that you'll get a few hours of VERY UNINTERRUPTED sleep on the table! ;) 

Don't let the last minute jitters get control of your head. If you could do it without surgery, you would have! Your future self will thank your current self for making this decision. It will change your life. Deep breaths. Focus on the positive future outcomes.

Tony,

It is going to be fine.  Try to relax and remember that in a few hours you will have your bypass, and be on your way to being thin, healthy and much more active.

I had some worries and doubts before my surgery, but I put my faith in my surgeon (and God) and I have never regretted my decision to have a bypass.

I cannot wait to welcome you to the losers bench.  Be sure to post here after your surgery.

Geoff

You're taking control of your obesity Tony - surgery is a scary thing and there are very few who didn't have the jitters.  Hang in there - a slimmer and healthier life awaits you.

See you on the losers bench.

You'll be awesome ....this is the most liberating journey of your life 

Thanks y’all - I knew I could count on you guys for some calming and uplifting words. Y’all are the greatest. I’m a bit less anxious now and focusing on the aftermath. And yes I have faith in my surgeon and God to pull me through this. I will definitely give y’all the T when I get this all done with today. Togetherness in the fight to be thin :) - love y’all ....Tony

Good luck Tony !!  We will see you on the losers bench really soon !

Tony,

So how are you doing??

Hi guys, well the BIG STEP is over with. In my room resting right now. My surgeon said everything went really really well. I have some slight pain from the gas but they gave me meds in my IV to help that. Was tired earlier and slept some but now I seem wide awake. Went on some walks around the floor with no problem. They approved me to start drinking so that was a relief in itself. My mouth felt like a desert. They gave me a food tray earlier but wasn’t hungry. Now my popsicle looks like a snowman in summer. Been slowly eating some ice and Powerade every 30 min. The nurses seem to think I’m doing really well so far. Haven’t felt any nausea and the pain level hasn’t been that bad. So all my anxiety was for nothing lol. Well just wanted to give y’all a quick update. Geoff thanks for the check-in, hope you’re doing good as well. I’m going to try and get some more rest. I heard that my surgeon likes to make early rounds :)  Talk at y’all later....Tony

Welcome to the losers bench!  The first few days after surgery can be rough, but it gets much better. 

Remember to walk (slowly) as much as you can, it really helps with the gas and with recovery from the surgery. 

Sounds like you're off to a great start Tony - congratulations!

Congratulations !

Welcome to the losers bench! Sounds like you’re doing well so far :) 

Welcome to this side of surgery! You'll start dropping weight faster than you ever imagined and be at goal before you know it!

Well guys, here I am back at home after being released from the hospital. My surgeon said that all went really well. There were no complications and all went as planned. Feeling very sore around midsection and really tired. Laid down for a bit when I got home but knew I needed some water so I’m up trying to walk a little and hydrate. My belly is a little swollen but was told that would go away in a couple days. The bruises around the incision sites look worse than they are I guess. Hoping it gets better getting up and down from my bed and recliner. I feel like I’ve done 100 crunches. But at least the big hurdle is over with and need to move forward on the rest of my road to thinner town. I think the rest of today is going to be mostly resting with the occasional walking and sipping. I’m not really hungry at all but am trying to get down part of a protein shake. So all systems are a go for now. I will post more later when I’m less tired :) - just wanted to give y’all an update. Talk at y’all later!!! ....Tony

Tony, I didn't sleep in my bed for the first week. as someone here had said it was painful getting in and out of it and not very comfortable laying flat, so I slept in my recliner all propped w/ pillows to be comfortable. 

Anyway, welcome to the Loser's Bench!!! Sounds like you did great.  The bruises will get much worse looking but they don't hurt but will garnish some sympathy if you show anyone! haha!

Tony,

The more walking you do, the better you'll feel and I also found it helpful to do some gentle side-to-side hip rocking movements (hold onto a dining chair or something similar).  

Thanks for the tips guys. For some reason I’m ok lying flat but having to use what they showed me in the hospital to get in and out of bed. Definitely no quick movement going on lol. Tried your suggestion Cin, that really helps. I saw a deal on Dr Oz where you bend over slightly and rock your hips back and forth and helps the gas relief. Since I can’t bend over that much your suggestion works better. Haven’t been all that hungry so haven’t really crossed that bridge yet but I’m assuming hunger will come at some point? Anyways, been back and forth from bed to recliner and back again. I know I need the rest but tired of being tired already haha. Hope everyone’s having a great evening. Will talk at y’all soon.....Tony

8 hours ago, NoT_NoShade said:

......Haven’t been all that hungry so haven’t really crossed that bridge yet but I’m assuming hunger will come at some point? .........

I have never had any sensation of hunger Tony.  I get an empty feeling but I only seem to notice that if I fall a little behind with getting my fluids in.  

Possibly it’s just me and the effects of surgery causing the lack of hunger. Not sure. Feeling better this morning. Pain seems less all over. Had a good nights sleep. Big surprise this morning when I weighed myself - I had gained almost all the weight I had lost prior to surgery. Is that normal? I’m suspecting that it’s the fluid build up from surgery, am I close? Please tell me that’s what it is :( - I probably should have waited a few days to start weighing myself but was too curious. ...T

It is normal to weigh heavier in the days following surgery Tony - they pump you full of fluids during surgery and early post-op.

Thanks Cin, I was hoping that was the case. Also, I reread your earlier post about hunger...read it wrong the first time lol. So you don’t feel hunger like before? Because I think I know what you mean, it’s like you feel it when your pouch is empty right? :) 

Nope - absolutely no hunger as I once knew it - I just know when I'm empty and that's easily disguised by drinking fluids so that's why I pretty much eat by the clock.

Good to know...thanks Cin :) 

Gm y’all...here I am, on my 4th day after surgery. Still a bit swollen in the belly region :( but seem to be ok. Pain is less, probably >2 right now. Been paying attention to bathroom “outgoings” and it seems ok, like I’m not dehydrated like before. Not to cross the line on TMI, but have had only one BM since being home, the rest has been gas. Is this normal? Is it possible that my pouch is “clogged up”? I guess if it was I would feel it, right? I’m not a hypochondriac but things start getting in my head as “what ifs”. They didn’t do a leak test on me before I left the hospital - maybe they should have. But I would feel that too right? How can I be sure that everything is working properly? I had my first “real meal” last night by having some tomato soup. It seemed to go down ok. I felt full and stopped, probably had about a coffee cup’s worth. Then couldn’t have my pudding later cause I was still feeling full. It was almost a crampy feeling for about an hour, laid back in my recliner and it went away after a while. Feel my stomach gurgling sometimes but this morning it feels ok. Hoping the swelling goes down soon. Am I overthinking all of this? Well time to start moving around some more. Later y’all :) ....T