NoT_NoShade

First Time(r) for Everything

Recommended Posts

You're not eating food with any substance Tony so you're trips to the bathroom aren't likely to produce much of anything yet but if you take my advice, you'll have something in the house just in case because constipation can creep up on you (my surgeon gave me stool softeners and a lot of generic Miralax) but that wasn't a problem for me until I started on pureed foods.  And make sure you have a thermometer.   Above 101°F (38.3°C), you should call your surgeon's office.

Apparently, symptoms and signs of a GI leak included rapid heart rate, fever, rapid breathing, left shoulder pain, abdominal pain, chest pain.  I didn't have a leak test (unless it was done in surgery).

All in all, it sounds as if you're off to a great start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gm y’all, well here I am, two weeks out from surgery and feeling a whole lot better. Had my post-op appt with my surgeon and he said all looked good. I’m still rather tired during the day, luckily I’m able to work from home for another week. No real pain to speak of, all the incision sites seem to be healing well. I’ve been dropping weight like crazy which is a happy thing and a scary thing at the same time. As I told you earlier, coming home from surgery I had gained most of the weight I had lost prior. Well that seemed to come off quickly and after that I’m losing like 1-2 lbs a day. I started this venture going in at 333 and this morning I’m at 304. I’m just in awe lol. I’ve been able to get my walking in each day. My knees don’t hurt like they were so that helps a lot! I’m still not able to eat a whole lot, a quarter cup each time seems to fill me up. They added puréed foods to my repertoire so at least I can change things up a bit. If anyone has any puréed tips please holler! I look down at my ankles and can’t believe how small they are now :) They did give me some meds to prevent gall stones and possible infection. I wasn’t fully aware of that danger involving my gall bladder...has this ever happened to anyone? Well. I just wanted to check in with everyone and give y’all an update. I’m headed down the “yellow brick road” and lovin’ it!! Hope everyone is doing as well as I am right now ;) ....talk at y’all later....Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoT_NoShade said:

Gm y’all, well here I am, two weeks out from surgery and feeling a whole lot better. Had my post-op appt with my surgeon and he said all looked good. I’m still rather tired during the day, luckily I’m able to work from home for another week. No real pain to speak of, all the incision sites seem to be healing well. I’ve been dropping weight like crazy which is a happy thing and a scary thing at the same time. As I told you earlier, coming home from surgery I had gained most of the weight I had lost prior. Well that seemed to come off quickly and after that I’m losing like 1-2 lbs a day. I started this venture going in at 333 and this morning I’m at 304. I’m just in awe lol. I’ve been able to get my walking in each day. My knees don’t hurt like they were so that helps a lot! I’m still not able to eat a whole lot, a quarter cup each time seems to fill me up. They added puréed foods to my repertoire so at least I can change things up a bit. If anyone has any puréed tips please holler! I look down at my ankles and can’t believe how small they are now :) They did give me some meds to prevent gall stones and possible infection. I wasn’t fully aware of that danger involving my gall bladder...has this ever happened to anyone? Well. I just wanted to check in with everyone and give y’all an update. I’m headed down the “yellow brick road” and lovin’ it!! Hope everyone is doing as well as I am right now ;) ....talk at y’all later....Tony

Good to hear from you. You must be delighted to have less weight on those poor knees and other joints. Keep up the protein and fluids, you need a lot for healing and more protein early on may help with possible hair loss later on. Yes, lots of people have gall bladder issues so pay attention if you start to have belly pains! and good you are walking too, that helps to move the fluid out and get in the habit of some daily exercise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks BB, I’m not complaining but is it it the norm to lose weight this fast just two weeks out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoT_NoShade said:

Thanks BB, I’m not complaining but is it it the norm to lose weight this fast just two weeks out?

Yes, it's within the realm of normal. We're all different, I remember losing up to two pounds a day for a short while to start. Part of this loss must have been not much caloric intake, part must have been extra fluid leaving my body from surgery, and part was the weight loss due to resources being needed for healing. It may take a week or two until you get to a place where the losses are not so extreme and are based on your reduced intake more than the fluids and healing stuff. 

Just remember weight loss is NOT steady, it is lumpy-bumpy, most people have stalls, and your body can be remodelling even if your weight is not changing. Record your measurements of neck, thighs, calves, ankles, upper and lower arms, bust, waist, hips... you can have dramatic remodelling without much in the way of weight change. 

One thing I remember @Jen581791 bringing up early is that on a chemical basis, when you eat carbohydrates you tend to hold on to some water molecules as well... it's just the chemistry. I looked it up later to learn more about it. When you make glycogen, a storage form of carbohydrates found in your liver and muscles, you also incorporate some water with the sugars to make glycogen. Later on I have found that when I shift to more protein and fats I not only lose a bit more, I often get rid of a couple of pounds of water which I ascribe to the carbos. So at this juncture, when your diet must be mostly protein, liquids, fats and not carbos, you have used up your glycogen and in doing so mobilized the water that was in the glycogen. 

Gosh, I hope this is not too nerdy.

Anyhow my guess is that if you have been losing 1-2 lbs a day, sometime in the future you will suffer horrible stalls, lose 0.01 lbs a day for a while, and be tortured by the Weight Loss Demon Gods for having been so successful early on. You may gain weight while eating 300 calories a day for no good reason. Plus you will then abandon all hope of future weight loss. You will suffer all the more because you will weight yourself every day, instead of once a week or every two weeks. This is par for the course, it passes, and you will do fine. ;) You just need to stick to the program, and all will be well. Really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Yes, it's within the realm of normal. We're all different, I remember losing up to two pounds a day for a short while to start. Part of this loss must have been not much caloric intake, part must have been extra fluid leaving my body from surgery, and part was the weight loss due to resources being needed for healing. It may take a week or two until you get to a place where the losses are not so extreme and are based on your reduced intake more than the fluids and healing stuff. 

Just remember weight loss is NOT steady, it is lumpy-bumpy, most people have stalls, and your body can be remodelling even if your weight is not changing. Record your measurements of neck, thighs, calves, ankles, upper and lower arms, bust, waist, hips... you can have dramatic remodelling without much in the way of weight change. 

One thing I remember @Jen581791 bringing up early is that on a chemical basis, when you eat carbohydrates you tend to hold on to some water molecules as well... it's just the chemistry. I looked it up later to learn more about it. When you make glycogen, a storage form of carbohydrates found in your liver and muscles, you also incorporate some water with the sugars to make glycogen. Later on I have found that when I shift to more protein and fats I not only lose a bit more, I often get rid of a couple of pounds of water which I ascribe to the carbos. So at this juncture, when your diet must be mostly protein, liquids, fats and not carbos, you have used up your glycogen and in doing so mobilized the water that was in the glycogen. 

Gosh, I hope this is not too nerdy.

Anyhow my guess is that if you have been losing 1-2 lbs a day, sometime in the future you will suffer horrible stalls, lose 0.01 lbs a day for a while, and be tortured by the Weight Loss Demon Gods for having been so successful early on. You may gain weight while eating 300 calories a day for no good reason. Plus you will then abandon all hope of future weight loss. You will suffer all the more because you will weight yourself every day, instead of once a week or every two weeks. This is par for the course, it passes, and you will do fine. ;) You just need to stick to the program, and all will be well. Really!

I totally agree that everyone is different in their post-surgery weight loss rates and that stalls are normal.  I also agree that stalls end and that stalls are no reason for panic or concern. 

However, stalls are not inevitable for everyone.  As shown in this weight chart, I did not have any significant stalls in my post-surgery weight loss until I reached my goal weight and intentionally put my weight loss into a "stall." 

 

weight.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks BB and Res. I’m more at ease with the rate of weight loss now :ph34r: I’m now on my last week of puréed food and hoping that I go to soft food next. I’m doing good with the puréed but need something more lol. What was weird was that I went to Denny’s with my family and had the oatmeal and a side order of scrambled eggs, couldn’t even make a dent in either but felt good but then this week when I went back to work I got some scrambled eggs from our deli and only took a couple of spoonfuls and all of a sudden I started feeling like it was going to come back up. It was almost like it was stuck or something and wouldn’t go down. This lasted for a good 15-20 min before it eased down. What would have caused this? The only thing different was that I added a bit of salsa to the eggs so not sure. So for now I’m not trying that again. But the good news is that I’m now under the 300 mark at 299 as of yesterday- total of 34 lbs lost since leaving hospital- woohoo!!  Still need my energy levels to be better but my doctor said that would take time. I have to be patient on the healing. But all in all I feel like I’m doing well. I’m also losing inches all over which shows in my clothes :rolleyes: Anyways, wanted to give out my update and my hope that everyone is doing well out there!! Until next time - later y’all .....Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you're off to a great start Tony.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe try some papaya enzyme if you get that stuck feeling again.  Eggs are sometimes difficult for people.  I gag on them, lol!  Could eat them early out.  Chili is a good soft food.  I did meatloaf too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Sunday to all my WLS friends out there. Just ringing in with another update on my journey. Last Tuesday was my one month mark since my surgery. As of Friday, I’m down to 291, making my total loss at 42 lbs. I had to go down a size in my pants for work. Luckily I found some on sale :) I had my checkup with my gp on Friday and he said all looked good physically, heart rate, bp etc. They did move me to soft foods but have been having some difficulty every so often. Some foods seem to take longer to go down then others, feels like I need some water to help it but know that’s against the rules. Any suggestions on how to best acclimate myself to firmer foods? Maybe I’m wanting to taste more too fast or something, not sure. I mentioned my low energy levels to my doctor and he said pretty much the same as my surgeon, that it will take time after major surgery to be fully back to normal. Plus he said that I did just lose 40 lbs which will take a toll on me as well. I’m just tired of being tired. I start off the day feeling fine but by the afternoon my energy level starts waning. I had to take a nap earlier today. But the times I feel good I really feel good. Has anyone else experienced this? But I’m really motivated by the weight loss so I haven’t lost my focus. So much weight lost in my first month, I can only imagine where I will be in six months to a year. B)  Well folks, I’m off to enjoy the rest of the weekend, I hope everyone is doing well! Stay tuned for my next knock at the door....later y’all!!! ...Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, NoT_NoShade said:

Happy Sunday to all my WLS friends out there. Just ringing in with another update on my journey. Last Tuesday was my one month mark since my surgery. As of Friday, I’m down to 291, making my total loss at 42 lbs. I had to go down a size in my pants for work. Luckily I found some on sale :) I had my checkup with my gp on Friday and he said all looked good physically, heart rate, bp etc. They did move me to soft foods but have been having some difficulty every so often. Some foods seem to take longer to go down then others, feels like I need some water to help it but know that’s against the rules. Any suggestions on how to best acclimate myself to firmer foods? Maybe I’m wanting to taste more too fast or something, not sure. I mentioned my low energy levels to my doctor and he said pretty much the same as my surgeon, that it will take time after major surgery to be fully back to normal. Plus he said that I did just lose 40 lbs which will take a toll on me as well. I’m just tired of being tired. I start off the day feeling fine but by the afternoon my energy level starts waning. I had to take a nap earlier today. But the times I feel good I really feel good. Has anyone else experienced this? But I’m really motivated by the weight loss so I haven’t lost my focus. So much weight lost in my first month, I can only imagine where I will be in six months to a year. B)  Well folks, I’m off to enjoy the rest of the weekend, I hope everyone is doing well! Stay tuned for my next knock at the door....later y’all!!! ...Tony

Thanks for the updates Tony.  I got my surgery date today and is October 1.  I'm nervous and excited both.  Reading your story so far excites me even more.  Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading about more of your successes.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2018 at 12:05 AM, NoT_NoShade said:

Happy Sunday to all my WLS friends out there. Just ringing in with another update on my journey. Last Tuesday was my one month mark since my surgery. As of Friday, I’m down to 291, making my total loss at 42 lbs. I had to go down a size in my pants for work. Luckily I found some on sale :) I had my checkup with my gp on Friday and he said all looked good physically, heart rate, bp etc. They did move me to soft foods but have been having some difficulty every so often. Some foods seem to take longer to go down then others, feels like I need some water to help it but know that’s against the rules. Any suggestions on how to best acclimate myself to firmer foods? Maybe I’m wanting to taste more too fast or something, not sure. I mentioned my low energy levels to my doctor and he said pretty much the same as my surgeon, that it will take time after major surgery to be fully back to normal. Plus he said that I did just lose 40 lbs which will take a toll on me as well. I’m just tired of being tired. I start off the day feeling fine but by the afternoon my energy level starts waning. I had to take a nap earlier today. But the times I feel good I really feel good. Has anyone else experienced this? But I’m really motivated by the weight loss so I haven’t lost my focus. So much weight lost in my first month, I can only imagine where I will be in six months to a year. B)  Well folks, I’m off to enjoy the rest of the weekend, I hope everyone is doing well! Stay tuned for my next knock at the door....later y’all!!! ...Tony

Sounds like you’re doing well! Congrats on your success so far. 

Your energy levels will get better as time goes on - between month 1 and month 2 I really bounced back a lot. Recovery plus a really low calorie diet will leave you feeling pretty blah for a while.

As for more solid food, a little sauce goes s long way. Marinara, salsa, yogurt sauces, reduced fat mayo, mustard, curry sauce, enchilada sauce, etc, etc, depending on what you’re eating. Of course you’re wanting to taste more exciting flavors! You’ll be fine :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NoT_NoShade Missed your August 5 post, was on vacation. Hope you have continued to do well! Yes, I was tired after my surgery, and often took a nap during this time frame. Just keep plugging away, this is not rocket science ... it's about your head, your attitude towards health and eating, it's about the physical restriction from the surgery.... am hoping you have not been bothered by stalls. You will succeed. Just stick to the medical advice, stay on the Path, and you will succeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning Y’all, 

Happy Sunday to all my WLS friends! I’m seeing a big improvement in energy levels since my last post :) which is a great turnaround. I’m also walking more so that may have helped as well. I’m down 56 lbs so far in just a little over 2 mo since my surgery on July 3 so I’m a very happy camper. I’ve started trying out firmer foods but still rely on soft foods and soup daily. But I believe this will change over time but I’m comfortable with my eating so far. SF popsicles have become my friend for sweet snacks lol. I had my measurements done last Friday and among other things I’ve lost 7 in off my waist...omg!!! Talk about being in euphoria right now haha! And I’m still losing every week ;) My only hurdle right now is to up my protein intake each day so I’m concentrating on that. Some things just don’t go down as easily as they did before surgery. But I know that’s trial and error and will keep trying. So all in all I’m in my happy place right now and can hardly wait to see where I am in 6 months!!! Woohoo!!

Hey Carl, a big high five on making the decision to have WLS! Believe me you won’t regret it! I had never had major surgery before and my anxiety was over the roof but after I went through it I realized there was nothing to worry about! And the benefits are sooo worth it!! Hey Jen, thanks for the pep talk and good suggestions as always! That helps immensely! Love hearing from the experienced folks out there!! Hey BBoy, thanks for having my back!! Your words keep me going!! You the man!! 

Anyways, that’s my update so far on an early Sunday morning. Time to get up and get moving which feels great now that I have less to move LOL!! Everyone have a great day and will talk at ya soon!! Later y’all ;) ....T

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now