Hello everyone I’m excited to be apart of this forum . I recently finished my required 24 week kaiser classes , my fitness test and all necessary labs . Earlier this week I received my formal authorization , so now I just wait for my surgery date . My delima is what surgery would be best for me, sleeve or bypass. I started this journey weighing 336lbs, I am now 305lbs, and I am 5’7. My first goal is to reach 200lbs , after that I will determine what weight is ideal for me. I’m realizing that this is real!! And I’m excited nervous , scared all rolled into one . I also sometimes feel angry that I allowed myself to get to this point , and now I’m having this  narly surgery just so I can get my life back . But also at the end of the day I am grateful that I have the opportunity to do this , and now I’m in beast mode , For the past 2 years I’ve been working on my mind body and soul !!! This is my chance to be the best version of myself .

Well said either surgery will be fine when your head is in the right place ...thats' the key 

Loads of advice from amazing people who really care on here

There are posts on this topic here:

I had a gastric bypass almost five years ago and I have never regretted the decision.  I strongly recommend that you read about the benefits and disadvantages of the two surgeries, and then make the best decision for you. 

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

Truly, you can be successful with either surgery (especially if you hang out here!). If you have acid reflux or diabetes, that makes choosing gastric bypass an easy decision. I hung out here often before selecting my surgery and was feeling like gastric bypass produced faster weight loss and more of it. It just does. My surgeon took a lot of time explaining to me why he felt extremely strongly that gastric bypass was not the right path for me. It was very enlightening. Maybe have a frank discussion with your surgeon as well. They are pros who have been doing this a long time and have way more information to help make the decision. At a year out, I'm not to my goal yet, and weight loss is SLOW. That's OK. I look and feel great. I've lost 147 pounds since starting the program! Still, I'll admit to being a little jealous at how easily some bypassers surpassed their goals in under a year. I have to remind myself of all the points my surgeon made specific to me and how very passionate he was that I'd have the best quality of life with this path. It's not all about tiny numbers on scales and clothing tags, although those must be awesome. Your commitment to being successful is far more important than surgery type. :)

Edited by Gretta

Hi @Flawed Princess

Like @Gretta had sleeve; I did not have diabetes, which would likely have swayed me to a bypass; and though the risks of both surgeries are low, they are a bit lower for a sleeve, and the chances of a vitamin deficiency are lower with a sleeve than a bypass. So there you have it for me on the choices! You can be successful with either one. Statistically speaking persons with a bypass tend to lose a bit more weight than sleevers, but I think a bit of exercise can help the latter achieve the same weight losses that persons with a bypass achieve. 

What seems to be critical is a sincere and sustained change in your diet, eating behaviors, mindfulness... a lot of this is, in the long term, adopting more healthy approaches to eating and diet. This is stuff in your head, not your belly, and after surgery while the pounds are melting away, there is this marvelous opportunity to adopt those new habits and cement them for the long run. This is true whichever surgery you choose!

Thanks everyone for your input, hey anyone ok with sharing how much weight they lost the first 2 months after sleeve surgery , thanks

Pretty much averaging 10 lbs a month 

Wow, I was expecting to drop more in my first few months , hmmmm

Hi @Flawed Princess good luck with your decision.  I've been very happy with my bypass.  Stats are below...

8 hours ago, Flawed Princess said:

Thanks everyone for your input, hey anyone ok with sharing how much weight they lost the first 2 months after sleeve surgery , thanks

Keep your eyes on the prize - quick losses in the first two months may not signal best long term outcomes, or signal anything at all, although we all feel impatient to lose as fast as our bodies will allow! It’s extremely variable, not just between the two procedures but from person to person. It’s a good idea to think about two year and five year outcomes. That first year will go very quickly, even though it may not feel like it at the time. I think there’s a lot of luck, genetics, and things we don’t really understand yet that go into how fast an individual loses. 

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. Choosing which procedure is an agonizing process for many, but very few people regret the choice they make. Basically, choose the one that seems to make sense to you and your surgeon, and you’ll probably be happy with it if you follow the program and change your life in the right ways. 

10 hours ago, Flawed Princess said:

Wow, I was expecting to drop more in my first few months , hmmmm

I had already lost seventy pounds pre op so a lower bmi looses slower bit I'm happy ad it' giving me and my skin chance to adjust nicely