TeganAmy

Looking for anyone who has gone from Band to sleeve to MGB?

Hi guys I am looking for anyone who has gone from lapband to sleeve gastrectomy and finally converted to the mini gastric bypass?? 

What was your weight loss like with the procedures??

Edited by TeganAmy

Mini Bypass aka Omega Loop surgery is very uncommon on this forum. It's much more popular in Australia than the US where most members here are from. My surgeon in Adelaide does them, but I wasn't a candidate due to reflux.  My revision to RNY bypass is the best decision I've ever made. I lost all my excess weight, which never happened with my original surgery, and haven't had a single night of reflux in over a year.

Hi Aussie Bear. 

Oh thankyou for that info. 

That's amazing about the weight loss and the reflux. If you don't mind me asking, was your original surgery the band?

My surgeon assured me that omega loop will fix my reflux, I am 4 weeks post op and it is worse. I am so upset. He is now telling me it can flare up at first then will settle. So we will see. 

I am just hoping to be able to shed at least 30 more kgs, but considering this is my 3rd weight loss surgery, I am not sure how possible that will be.

I am just struggling to find really anyone who has had all 3 surgeries. I am so interested in other people's journeys =)

My original surgery was a Gastroplasty....the old fashioned stomach stapling which I had in 1986. I had the revision due to stapleline dehiscence. My sister has a lapband and is in the process now of getting a revision to RNY after seeing how well I did with my revision. Her surgeon isn't a fan of the sleeve, so doesn't do many of them. The plan is her band will be removed in July and the bypass will happen in October. Her surgeon insists on a minimum 3 months passing between removal of the band and a new surgery.

On the subject of reflux, my surgeon doesn't do Omega loops for those already suffering reflux...I suspect the relative newness of the surgery means he just won't take the risk. Plus he is a public hospital surgeon and I've been told there is a 5 year mandatory wait between surgeries (including lapband removal and a revisional surgery), so he really can't risk not solving existing reflux issues, let alone potentially making it worse, and then not being allowed to fix the problem.

Edited by Aussie Bear