Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

Ever since I had surgery, I have noticed that there would be times where my vision would fade in and out or my vision would go black, I would get dizzy and lightheaded (my head would feel like it was floating in air, my ears would get full and my hearing is muffled), and I would start to feel woozy and all of those things only would happen when I stand up after sitting. When I get up out of my chair too quickly, I would experience those symptoms for probably no more than 10-30 seconds. Sometimes, I would have to hold onto the wall until everything subsided and went away. 

I am thinking I am experiencing these symptoms because of a deficiency of some kind, not eating enough, my blood sugar being too low, low blood pressure, etc. The next time I see the doctor for a post op appointment is July 19th. My doctor also wants me to get bloodwork done before I see them and I am getting my bloodwork done on June 27th. The reason they want me to get bloodwork done is to check and make sure I am not deficient in anything. 

Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms before? If so, what was the cause and how did you deal with it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did you have high blood pressure before (or do you take meds for it?) bc losing weight brings that down and yours sounds low (you should get it checked out) bc it sounds like orthostatic hypertension.  if you're home when that happens, try sitting down or better yet, lying down and if it goes away, that usually means it is that (OH, or in laymnen's terms "postural hypotension")

that being said, I had those symptoms a lot in the beginning and even called my dr about them.  never did figure it out (except that i was still recovering from surgery....could be low blood sugar....dehydration....etc) but by 5 wks post op it was gone, so I would think that you'd be past that, so I would mention it to your dr when you see them.  

Edited by CheeringCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I experienced this in the early weeks post op. Hypovolemia is a likely cause.  It makes your blood pressure drop when you change positions rapidly.  Try increasing your sodium and fluid intake. Glad you checking with your team though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, msmarymac said:

I experienced this in the early weeks post op. Hypovolemia is a likely cause.  It makes your blood pressure drop when you change positions rapidly.  Try increasing your sodium and fluid intake. Glad you checking with your team though.

This happened to me a lot early on when standing up or in a hot shower. I had to remind myself to stomp my feet a few times and stand up slowly. My doctor said it happens a lot to WLS patients. Called it postural hypotension.

Edited by Gretta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had these symptoms which progressively got worse. Started around 3-4 weeks post op. After multiple hospital visits it turned out I was throwing blood clots, one which caused a cascading effect in my liver (portal vein thrombosis). If you have any doubts or concerns, I do suggest you see a doctor - especially if it gets worse. Better safe than sorry I figure. I hope you start to feel better soon, and that it is nothing more than you are just adjusted to the new you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, .:princesszelda:. said:

Hey everyone,

Ever since I had surgery, I have noticed that there would be times where my vision would fade in and out or my vision would go black, I would get dizzy and lightheaded (my head would feel like it was floating in air, my ears would get full and my hearing is muffled), and I would start to feel woozy and all of those things only would happen when I stand up after sitting. When I get up out of my chair too quickly, I would experience those symptoms for probably no more than 10-30 seconds. Sometimes, I would have to hold onto the wall until everything subsided and went away. 

I am thinking I am experiencing these symptoms because of a deficiency of some kind, not eating enough, my blood sugar being too low, low blood pressure, etc. The next time I see the doctor for a post op appointment is July 19th. My doctor also wants me to get bloodwork done before I see them and I am getting my bloodwork done on June 27th. The reason they want me to get bloodwork done is to check and make sure I am not deficient in anything. 

Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms before? If so, what was the cause and how did you deal with it?  

@Gretta has this nailed - orthostatic hypotension. When you stand up you need more blood pressure so your brain gets enough blood. It is taking your system the 10-30 seconds to ramp up your blood pressure. See, for example: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/orthostatic-hypotension/symptoms-causes/syc-20352548

Stay hydrated, make sure you are getting enough electrolytes; I think it was @AustinJ who also suffered from not enough salt in his diet. It's not vitamins you lack!

Some people get this as they get older too - I have relatives who sit on the side of the bed every morning, stamp their feet as Gretta suggests, and then stand up, having stirred up their bodies a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so glad you posted this! I’ve had this issue for as long as I can remember (I’ve always had really low blood pressure, even when I was overweight and pregnant), but I never knew what it was called. I’ll have to try stamping my feet. So interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this a lot at the beginning but decreasingly over time, just occasionally now. It helps if I clench all my big muscle groups a minute before I stand up - bum, thighs, etc. That seems to get the blood pressure up a bit. I have pretty  low blood pressure, so I have to be a bit careful at times. Hot showers can also be a trigger, as @Gretta mentioned - I used to have to sit down for a few minutes afterward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orthostatic hypotension is not fun to deal with, but it becomes much easier to handle once you know what it is and how to handle it. As I've learned from personal experience there are several nutritional imbalances that can cause the low blood pressure issue.  I would make sure when you have your blood work done to have them check your electrolytes as well, this is not a usually part of the post op blood work regimen.

In my case I suffer from Hyponatremia, which means I have low sodium and electrolytes. To compensate for this I had to slowly increase my sodium and electrolyte intake until the symptoms subsided. I currently take in 3000mg of sodium a day, 1000mg of which comes via Propel so am I getting all the other electrolytes as well. 

The hyponatremia also caused reactive hypoglycemia (blood sugar crashes after eating). I would get hot and flush and all my energy would be drained, my thoughts would be fuzzy and unclear.

Just remember every person is different and everything is trial and error, listen to your doctors they have been doing the trial and error for a long time and have some idea of what direction to go in. Make small adjustments and listen to your body it will tell you when something isn't right.

Edited by AustinJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The medications I take everyday are the following:

  • chewable Bariactiv multivitamin (twice a day)
  • chewable Bariactiv Calcium (four times a day)
  • chewable Bariactiv Iron with Vitamin C (three times a day)
  • Nascobal Vitamin B-12 Nasal Spray (once a week)
  • Vitamin D3 (Once a day)
  • Biotin (Once a day)
  • Adderall (Twice a day)
  • Doxycycline for Acne (twice a day)

I have never had blood pressure problems before surgery. I had no health problems whatsoever before surgery.

I am pretty much "healthiest obese person" you will ever meet. The only times my blood pressure gets high is when I take my Adderall or Doxycycline, but my doctors have told me that a slight raise in blood pressure is a normal side effect of both medications and since I have never had blood pressure problems, they are not too concern about that. However, I have a family history of heart problems (everything from high blood pressure to heart attacks), thyroid problems (my mom's mom, her two brothers, and her sister have thyroid problems, but my mom does not have thyroid problems; my mom has high blood pressure and takes a bunch of vitamins since she had weight loss surgery done in February of 2016), and diabetes (my dad's dad has type II diabetes). I have no thyroid problems and every time I get bloodwork done, because of there being a family history of thyroid problems they check that and everything is normal on that. I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure. 

Anyways, I appreciate everyone who has posted a response. Another thing I noticed is that I get the same symptoms whenever I take a really hot shower. I am leaning more towards it being orthostatic hypotension/postural hypotension. I have heard of the stomping the feet thing as my grandfather (my mom's dad has issues that require him to sit on the edge of his bed and stomp his feet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, .:princesszelda:. said:

The medications I take everyday are the following:

  • chewable Bariactiv multivitamin (twice a day)
  • chewable Bariactiv Calcium (four times a day)
  • chewable Bariactiv Iron with Vitamin C (three times a day)
  • Nascobal Vitamin B-12 Nasal Spray (once a week)
  • Vitamin D3 (Once a day)
  • Biotin (Once a day)
  • Adderall (Twice a day)
  • Doxycycline for Acne (twice a day)

......

 

Zelda,

Is there a particular reason why you take iron 3 times a day because that must make life very difficult with taking 4 doses of calcium too and having to space them at least 2 hours apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the bottle, it says to take 3 iron a day. So, I just follow the instructions on the bottle. 

I usually take a multivitamin and an iron in the morning, another iron and multivitamin and my vitamins D3 and biotin at lunch, all four calcium vitamins at dinner. The doxycycline is usually taken 2 hours after taking the calcium or multivitamin. So, for example, if I take my pills at 8 am, I usually wait until 10 am to take a doxycycline. For dinner, if I take the calcium at 5 pm, I usually take the doxycycline at 7 pm. My Adderall is usually taken at breakfast and lunch time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, .:princesszelda:. said:

On the bottle, it says to take 3 iron a day. So, I just follow the instructions on the bottle. 

I usually take a multivitamin and an iron in the morning, another iron and multivitamin and my vitamins D3 and biotin at lunch, all four calcium vitamins at dinner. The doxycycline is usually taken 2 hours after taking the calcium or multivitamin. So, for example, if I take my pills at 8 am, I usually wait until 10 am to take a doxycycline. For dinner, if I take the calcium at 5 pm, I usually take the doxycycline at 7 pm. My Adderall is usually taken at breakfast and lunch time.

 Everything I've read states that the most calcium your body can absorb at one time is 500mg so you should space that out.  To maximize absorption, take no more than 500 mg of elemental calcium at one time.

Either way.  Put a call into your surgeon's office about how you can cut back on the amount of times you take your vitamins and supplements throughout the day to make life easier for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now