Sign in to follow this  
ktallon

Need a little tough love

So i need to have a confession and receive a little tough love from my tt family. I have really fallen off the wagon the last few weeks. Since my overstitch procedure to fix my ulcer i have been terrified to eat. I admit i have been mostly drinking my calories in the form of apple and orange juice. And although i am continuing to lose weight i know i can not keep this up forever. I need to get back in the groove but what do you do when the reason i am terrified to eat is because solid food makes me extremely nauseous. 

Honestly after everything you have been through I don't think that will hurt you much. But I do agree that it probably isn't the best option long term for reaching your goals. When I was getting sick after my complications, I found that just taking baby steps into the 'real food' world was best. Perhaps try going back to what did work for you before. You were doing some shakes that you really enjoyed and helped you meet your protein goals if I remember correctly. And of course try to follow what your surgeon recommended for your situation. I can't see them having a problem with you going back to a liquid/pureed/smooth diet until you get more comfortable with solid foods again. As long as you are meeting your nutritional and fluid needs, that's the main thing. I hope things start getting better for you soon :rolleyes:

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

1 hour ago, ktallon said:

So i need to have a confession and receive a little tough love from my tt family. I have really fallen off the wagon the last few weeks. Since my overstitch procedure to fix my ulcer i have been terrified to eat. I admit i have been mostly drinking my calories in the form of apple and orange juice. And although i am continuing to lose weight i know i can not keep this up forever. I need to get back in the groove but what do you do when the reason i am terrified to eat is because solid food makes me extremely nauseous. 

Like @Ladybugzzz86 suggests, I think you should venture into purees and such. You need the protein to heal; apple and OJ are empty carbos. 

ktallon - have you tried going back to a pureed diet and see how that goes?

One of the nutritionists I visited in my early  postop days literally suggested I eat baby food. Maybe this could be an option for you? 

Big ol’ hugs!

I think we should all post some high protein puree ideas here and see if any of them tempt @ktallon

@Drew posted "Pureed Stage: Seafood Salad with Tilapia" recently under Nutrition / Pureed Stage

Edited by BurgundyBoy
add post by Drew

Split pea soup with ham and turkey chili were my go-to purees. I took gas medicine with both, though!

Thanks everyone i tried some refried beans yesterday and still felt sick so im taking it back to the very basics for a few days clear liquids and protein shakes so far i am doing okay no nausea hopefully in a few days i can try some purees again. Dr wants me to keep an eye on this for another week or two if it doesn't improve he wants me to come back in and go from there.