Sign in to follow this  
KMB

Getting the Gastric Sleeve on July 9th

Hello,

I am starting my journey to get the gastric sleeve surgery on July 9th, and now that it is becoming reality I am terrified. I am exciting to be doing something to improve my overall health but I am not sure how fast the recovery will be.

Currently I am 245 pounds but an very active, when do most people go back to work after surgery if they have a desk job?

Also is 3.5 weeks after surgery too soon to travel by plane for 7 hours?

I wanted to get input from the "experts" people that have gone through the surgery. 

I don't know anyone who has had this surgery and I now am starting to have anxiety about it!

Thanks!

Welcome to Thinner Times KMB!

I didn't have the sleeve but hopefully, those who did can chime in with how long they took off work after their surgery.

My employer has a lifting requirement of 70lb so I wasn't cleared for that until 6 weeks post-op.  But a desk job I could have managed - maybe half days is an option for you?

Welcome! I have a sleeve. I think you'll find the recovery much easier than what you are expecting. I was up walking the halls of the hospital within hours and doing serious cardio classes in a little over 2 weeks. I've had 5 surgeries, and this was the easiest recovery BY FAR. The worst parts of it all for me were throwing up because of the anesthesia (I almost always do) and the gas pain from the gas they inflate you with during surgery. I had to take my binder off often, take pain meds, and move/walk a lot in the first 4 days to ease that pain. All very worth it and really not all that bad.

Edited by Gretta

I had a sleeve 3 weeks ago and returned to work after 10 days, it was probably a little soon as my energy levels were rock bottom. If you can be flexible on hours I would but you have to listen to your body. Good luck 

Thanks everyone for the encouraging information! I am going to keep positive about getting the surgery so I don't get scared and change my mind!!

Yes! Try to change nervous energy into excited energy. 

Hey KMB - I’m one week out and my surgery went really well. I’m definitely not ready to go back to work but I just got off pain meds.

I exercised a lot for 3 weeks before my surgery and I found that enormously helpful in recovering- my body was just ready to move  -so it’s really good you’re active. I would think plane travel would be fine 3.5 weeks later but then I’m not a surgeon (-: I know I’m really happy with my decision. Good luck!