CheeringCJ

Kio....put the boxes down and stop in to say hello

@Kio,:). Miss you!

I figure you're busy with your move but just wanted to check in on you just to make sure all was ok.  Stop in when you can.  

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Yes, @Kio. Put down the boxes indeed!

right, Nerdy???  Geesh!  She should make Leah unpack so WE can visit!!! :)  We need you,, @Kio...can you come out and play?!?!?! :D

@CheeringCJ Ok, here is the plan. I’m going to put Katya in the car and we will drive around the greater Boston area yelling @Kio! I’ll report back when we find her. :D:lol:

@NerdyToothpick & @CheeringCJ you ladies crack me up!!! :D:D:D 

It's been a craaaazy week, but we are slowly getting settled, and I'm doing ok!  Thanks for checking in on me!  I admit, my carbs did get a leeeeetle out of control this week.  In addition to moving and not having access to any of my cooking stuff, I had to run two focus groups this week - yesterday and the day before - that took place at what turned out to be essentially a fried chicken restaurant.  I usually avoid anything with breading, but this was breaded food with fries that I didn't cook or pay for, and that was brought to me by nice people.  So ... I was pretty weak, both nights.

But the second night, one of the focus group members was one I remembered from before, and she had had RNY about a year before mine.  When I saw her I was shocked and saddened - she has regained most of her weight back.  It really made me see that while things have seemed pretty easy lately, I'm still in a fight for my life - and I still have to act and EAT like a fighter!  It was a real wake-up call, and today I am back on my program, protein shakes and all.  I'll just have to remember this lesson!

And oh, my god, I have certainly made up for any food indiscretions with activity.  I've been killing it.  This house is easily three times the size of the one I moved out of, and it takes a million years (and a lot of stairs!) to get places!  Plus I can't just shout at Leah and Meg - they're often just too dang far away to hear me.  So there's a lot of getting up to go chat instead of just yelling down the stairs like a savage.  :)  I've been hitting my steps and my movement goals every day.  (Though I do keep in mind the old saying - you can't outrun your fork!)

The house is great - we're still in that stage where there are half-empty boxes everywhere, and the place is covered in packing materials, but we're moved in enough to be really enjoying it.  My room and my office are painted, and I've started setting things up.  Last night was the first night I was able to sleep in my bedroom (instead of bunking in with Leah, three cats, and a dog!)  We've all had to go back to work now, so the unpacking has slowed, but it's still kind of a steady trickle of stuff out of boxes and onto shelves.  We had a few frantic days thinking two fairly expensive lamps had gone missing... only to find them stashed in the garbage bins we brought with us from the old house, just this morning!  There are several other things we're missing, but we're now sure they're here SOMEWHERE... we're just not sure where.  :)

Sadly we haven't yet been able to enjoy the pool - too busy, and for a while it was too cold/rainy and the pool heater wasn't working.  It's fixed now though, and as soon as I get a free half hour this afternoon... I'm going in!!!

Now I just have to catch up with this place... I definitely need some motivation and some people to help me stay honest!

Great update! You sound so happy, @Kio! Love that saying, "You can't outrun your fork". Never heard it before.

10 hours ago, Kio said:

It's been a craaaazy week, but we are slowly getting settled, and I'm doing ok!  Thanks for checking in on me!  I admit, my carbs did get a leeeeetle out of control this week.  In addition to moving and not having access to any of my cooking stuff, I had to run two focus groups this week - yesterday and the day before - that took place at what turned out to be essentially a fried chicken restaurant.  I usually avoid anything with breading, but this was breaded food with fries that I didn't cook or pay for, and that was brought to me by nice people.  So ... I was pretty weak, both nights.

But the second night, one of the focus group members was one I remembered from before, and she had had RNY about a year before mine.  When I saw her I was shocked and saddened - she has regained most of her weight back.  It really made me see that while things have seemed pretty easy lately, I'm still in a fight for my life - and I still have to act and EAT like a fighter!  It was a real wake-up call, and today I am back on my program, protein shakes and all.  I'll just have to remember this lesson!

And oh, my god, I have certainly made up for any food indiscretions with activity.  I've been killing it.  This house is easily three times the size of the one I moved out of, and it takes a million years (and a lot of stairs!) to get places!  Plus I can't just shout at Leah and Meg - they're often just too dang far away to hear me.  So there's a lot of getting up to go chat instead of just yelling down the stairs like a savage.  :)  I've been hitting my steps and my movement goals every day.  (Though I do keep in mind the old saying - you can't outrun your fork!)

The house is great - we're still in that stage where there are half-empty boxes everywhere, and the place is covered in packing materials, but we're moved in enough to be really enjoying it.  My room and my office are painted, and I've started setting things up.  Last night was the first night I was able to sleep in my bedroom (instead of bunking in with Leah, three cats, and a dog!)  We've all had to go back to work now, so the unpacking has slowed, but it's still kind of a steady trickle of stuff out of boxes and onto shelves.  We had a few frantic days thinking two fairly expensive lamps had gone missing... only to find them stashed in the garbage bins we brought with us from the old house, just this morning!  There are several other things we're missing, but we're now sure they're here SOMEWHERE... we're just not sure where.  :)

Sadly we haven't yet been able to enjoy the pool - too busy, and for a while it was too cold/rainy and the pool heater wasn't working.  It's fixed now though, and as soon as I get a free half hour this afternoon... I'm going in!!!

Now I just have to catch up with this place... I definitely need some motivation and some people to help me stay honest!

You have a pool?

10 hours ago, Kio said:

@Kio It sounds like you are killing it! You may have had some off plan food but it sounds like your calorie burn certainly has been off the charts. 

I’m sorry to hear about the RNY focus group member. I think her outcome is our collective greatest fear. How sad that she could not use this precious tool that has been given to us. I hope her health didn’t take a turn for the worse. 

I had to laugh when you described losing and finding the lamps. Everything seems logical when you are packing up! I’m always certain I will remember where I put X and Y things. LOL Have fun unpacking!! 

Glad to hear you’re functionally if not completely unpacked. That’s a big job. Enjoy your new house!!!

I expect you may come home to find a @NerdyToothpick floating in your pool some afternoon... 

On 6/14/2018 at 10:26 PM, NerdyToothpick said:

You have a pool?

Then I will meet you and Katja there and we will all go swimming!

11 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Glad to hear you’re functionally if not completely unpacked. That’s a big job. Enjoy your new house!!!

I expect you may come home to find a @NerdyToothpick floating in your pool some afternoon... 

Not at her weight....she will sink like you do!!! ;)

@Kio glad to see you survived the move and you’re settling in.  How did your pup make the move?  Hope she is happy there, after her trauma she deserves happy...bet she loves running around in a bigger house! 

It is hard to stick to your plan when life is nuts, so glad you had your wake up call and are right back on track!!!

Don’t be a stranger now ;)

@NerdyToothpick, @CheeringCJ -  I do have a pool!  It's crazy - we weren't looking for a place with one, in fact we viewed it as kind of a negative at first.  Expensive and extra work to maintain, that sort of thing.  But so far we are loving it.  Right after I posted about it we managed to get some pool time in, and it was lovely, and we're going in again today because it's supposed to be sunny and warm.  :D  I'm looking forward to getting some water aerobics in.  And I jumped in - off the diving board!!!  Not a dive, just a jump, but was really surprised that it didn't even twinge my back. 

We also have a hot tub, right next to it - and that is the BEST for sore muscles from moving!  I kind of worry about exposing my skin to the chemicals - putting almost anything on my face can trigger my rosacea to flare and I look like a red splat of paint got me right in the head.  But so far - worth it!  

@Jen581791 - I totally remember what you said about not floating... the last time I was in a body of water was my Turks & Caicos vacation last July.  I felt so buoyant and light in the ocean - and I know that was partly from the salt water.  But I felt pretty buoyant in the pool there, too!  And in the pool here, I'm finding I definitely have to work a bit harder to stay afloat at 190 than I did at 308.  I used to actually wonder how people could drown - I was that floaty!  Now I totally get it.  Staying afloat is not as easy without my biological life jacket!!  (And I still have about 60 lbs of life jacket to go!)

Speaking of weight... one of my great disappointments in this new house is that it weighs me consistently, no matter where I put the scale, at about 3 lbs heavier than I was at the old house.  I actually tested it for the brief period that we had access to both houses.  I'm not sure what to do about that with the monthly loss count I keep in my sig.  Usually I just count my lowest weight of the month as my "real" weight, and log every pound I lose toward that month.  I never pay attention to any gains.  But that's going to result in a very small "official" loss number for this month.  I don't think I actually gained any weight (fat OR muscle) - so I'll just have to deal. Any advice?

Also, my fitbit Aria is having a spazz and won't give me anything but "ERR" for my weight.  I'm not sure if it's just a bad scale or if it's protesting the slanty floors here.  I bought "new in box" from someone on NextDoor, and it was in fact new in box.  It weighed fine at the old house (though higher than my old scale).  It's just totally nonfunctional here.  Bye bye, $80!

@Gretta - I feel like I read that saying everywhere!  I think about it any time I'm deciding what to eat.  :D  Can't remember where I heard it first, but it's a great way to summarize what we're all told these days, that diet is way more important than exercise in weight loss.  Though now I'm starting to hear that while that's true for LOSS, exercise has a lot more impact on MAINTENANCE.  I'm just not there yet.  ;)