RBanks

10 Day Post-op

Hi,

I'm ten days removed from a gastric bypass and starting to get a little worried.  I'm still really bloated and can't seem to pass the gas.:eek:  My doctor seems to think I'll be ok if I make myself walk more.  I'm going to try walking my butt off starting today.

Also,  when I 1st met with the doctor I was 372 lbs.  I basically lost 20 lbs during all the pre-op stuff, especially the liquid diet and was 351 the morning of the surgery.  Now, 10 days later, I'm at 339.  Although 12 pounds in 10 days sounds good, I haven't lost anything in 3 days.  Why did I stabilize?

8 hours ago, RBanks said:

Hi,

I'm ten days removed from a gastric bypass and starting to get a little worried.  I'm still really bloated and can't seem to pass the gas.:eek:  My doctor seems to think I'll be ok if I make myself walk more.  I'm going to try walking my butt off starting today.

Also,  when I 1st met with the doctor I was 372 lbs.  I basically lost 20 lbs during all the pre-op stuff, especially the liquid diet and was 351 the morning of the surgery.  Now, 10 days later, I'm at 339.  Although 12 pounds in 10 days sounds good, I haven't lost anything in 3 days.  Why did I stabilize?

Hi, Welcome and congratulations on your surgery! Other than the gas it sounds like you are doing great! Stalls are a normal part of this process. Keep following your plan and don't worry too much when your weight plateaus. You'll be losing again in a week or two. 

Ignore the scales - they'll drive you insane.

I have a 35+ year documented history of failed dieting attempts pre-WLS.  All sabotaged by what I perceived as a failing the moment the scales stopped moving.  For that reason, I chose not to have scales in the house from the day I had my surgery.  I relied on surgeon/doctor/nutritionist visits.  It was the best thing I could have done for myself because it freed me up to just follow the programme.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:13 PM, RBanks said:

Hi,

I echo what the others are saying. Ignore the scale for now. Gas and bloating can make it seem like you aren’t losing. Don’t worry, you still are losing weight. I think the most common question we all ask ourselves is “did the surgery not work?”. If you follow the plan, the weight will come off. 

I’m sorry to hear about your gas. I remember the awful gassy feeling. Listen to your doctor and walk as much as you can. Get that gas moving and out the door.  :lol: I’m with you in spirit as I am also having a gassy moment. Did I mention that few topics are taboo on the forum? :P

Welcome! 

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Gas and bloating almost gone now, and I've started losing again.:D

1 hour ago, RBanks said:

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Gas and bloating almost gone now, and I've started losing again.:D

It’s funny how the losses work: often in steps down rather than a smooth downward slope. Sometimes it seems like drinking a whole bunch of water encourages the next step down, but who knows. Very mysterious! Hang in there and trust the mechanical alterations - the pounds will keep going away. The stalls are crazy-making at times.

I just had my surgery Monday, June 18, 2918 and home today on Tuesday. I've never had a gassy stomach before. Now I can't eat or drink anything without it. Not even a sip of water. I'm miserable. Besides the walking are there any other suggestions? I'm wearing the girdle which helps with the surgery pain, but could it be causing the gas pains?

Thanks, 

Celtic Girl

Edited by CelticGirl

I had to have breaks from the binder to get rid of the gas. It wasn't in my stomach, though. It was all over. It only lasted 4 days or so, though.

2 hours ago, CelticGirl said:

I just had my surgery Monday, June 18, 2918 and home today on Tuesday. I've never had a gassy stomach before. Now I can't eat or drink anything without it. Not even a sip of water. I'm miserable. Besides the walking are there any other suggestions? I'm wearing the girdle which helps with the surgery pain, but could it be causing the gas pains?

Thanks, 

Celtic Girl

Some digestive distress is pretty normal after surgery, and you're really early out right now, so it's not at all surprising that you're a little uncomfortable. It should get much better in the next few days, though.

Surgical gasses are different from digestive system gasses - they're in your body tissues, as @Gretta said, all over. To get rid of the surgical gases, it just takes time, plus moving around. If you're having digestive system gas issues, you can take Gas-X or whatever for that (I did for the first couple of weeks). Also, you may look into whether you've developed lactose intolerance post-op. That wouldn't explain the reaction to water, of course, but might explain your general digestive issues. Try using lactose free milk for a few days (Fairlife) to see if that helps? I was lactose intolerant for a few months, and Fairlife was a life saver! Before I figured it out, I just had general digestive issues for the first couple of weeks. Not pretty.

15 hours ago, Gretta said:

I had to have breaks from the binder to get rid of the gas. It wasn't in my stomach, though. It was all over. It only lasted 4 days or so, though.

Thanks, Gretta.

13 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Some digestive distress is pretty normal after surgery, and you're really early out right now, so it's not at all surprising that you're a little uncomfortable. It should get much better in the next few days, though.

Surgical gasses are different from digestive system gasses - they're in your body tissues, as @Gretta said, all over. To get rid of the surgical gases, it just takes time, plus moving around. If you're having digestive system gas issues, you can take Gas-X or whatever for that (I did for the first couple of weeks). Also, you may look into whether you've developed lactose intolerance post-op. That wouldn't explain the reaction to water, of course, but might explain your general digestive issues. Try using lactose free milk for a few days (Fairlife) to see if that helps? I was lactose intolerant for a few months, and Fairlife was a life saver! Before I figured it out, I just had general digestive issues for the first couple of weeks. Not pretty.

Thanks, Jen, that explains a lot. It is a little better today. Still on clear liquid though. Haven't tried milk yet. This is harder than I thought. LOL. When they said I wouldn't be hungry anymore, I thought that meant food wouldn't bother me. But every commercial is pizza and everything smells good. Argh!

5 hours ago, CelticGirl said:

Thanks, Jen, that explains a lot. It is a little better today. Still on clear liquid though. Haven't tried milk yet. This is harder than I thought. LOL. When they said I wouldn't be hungry anymore, I thought that meant food wouldn't bother me. But every commercial is pizza and everything smells good. Argh!

Ah, OK. Many plans have people doing shakes made with milk right away. Keep the lactose thing in your back pocket for later, though. It's not an uncommon side effect. 

As for the hunger, there are different kinds of hunger! I've learned over the past year and a half that what I used to think of as hunger was a wide variety of other things: blood sugar drop after eating something sweet (growly stomach, lightheaded), stomach acid (hollow feeling in stomach, like I needed to fill it with food), thirst (hollow feeling again, felt like I needed eat STAT!), head hunger (when you think about food, your body ramps up the digestive process in anticipation and starts pumping out hunger and digestive hormones - rumbly stomach, a hollow feeling), emotional or bored hunger (which kicks off head hunger). In fact, that rumbly stomach feeling I had always associated with hunger was actually my small intestine, not my stomach at all! This became clear when I started to get the feeling back in my pouch, which is located a whole heck of a lot higher in my body than I would have thought - not where you'd point to if someone said point to your stomach. If it's happening below there, then it can't actually be my stomach that's rumbling...

Pizza commercials are probably triggering head hunger (it's not in your head, it's in your body, but it's triggered by your mind). I had surgery in Mexico, and felt very very grumpy when faced with drinking a cup of chamomile tea while everyone else had super delicious smelling Mexican breakfast buffet at the hotel every morning that week. Hard to ignore those kinds of food triggers.

A few months after surgery, I started to figure out what actual hunger feels like for me. It feels like low on energy. Tired, maybe grumpy, sometimes confused, definitely lacking focus. I consume some food and that feeling goes away. The rest of those hunger-like feelings I've learned to either ignore or deal with in a different way: not eating sugar to prevent blood sugar drops, taking an antacid, drinking a bunch of water, or doing something to alleviate my bad feelings or boredom. 

You'll be fine. The liquid diet time after surgery seems long and terribly boring, but it will pass. Hang in there! You'll be onto the various food stages before you know it. 

Pepper mint tea worked really well for me 

On 6/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, Jen581791 said:

Ah, OK. Many plans have people doing shakes made with milk right away. Keep the lactose thing in your back pocket for later, though. It's not an uncommon side effect. 

As for the hunger, there are different kinds of hunger! I've learned over the past year and a half that what I used to think of as hunger was a wide variety of other things: blood sugar drop after eating something sweet (growly stomach, lightheaded), stomach acid (hollow feeling in stomach, like I needed to fill it with food), thirst (hollow feeling again, felt like I needed eat STAT!), head hunger (when you think about food, your body ramps up the digestive process in anticipation and starts pumping out hunger and digestive hormones - rumbly stomach, a hollow feeling), emotional or bored hunger (which kicks off head hunger). In fact, that rumbly stomach feeling I had always associated with hunger was actually my small intestine, not my stomach at all! This became clear when I started to get the feeling back in my pouch, which is located a whole heck of a lot higher in my body than I would have thought - not where you'd point to if someone said point to your stomach. If it's happening below there, then it can't actually be my stomach that's rumbling...

Pizza commercials are probably triggering head hunger (it's not in your head, it's in your body, but it's triggered by your mind). I had surgery in Mexico, and felt very very grumpy when faced with drinking a cup of chamomile tea while everyone else had super delicious smelling Mexican breakfast buffet at the hotel every morning that week. Hard to ignore those kinds of food triggers.

A few months after surgery, I started to figure out what actual hunger feels like for me. It feels like low on energy. Tired, maybe grumpy, sometimes confused, definitely lacking focus. I consume some food and that feeling goes away. The rest of those hunger-like feelings I've learned to either ignore or deal with in a different way: not eating sugar to prevent blood sugar drops, taking an antacid, drinking a bunch of water, or doing something to alleviate my bad feelings or boredom. 

You'll be fine. The liquid diet time after surgery seems long and terribly boring, but it will pass. Hang in there! You'll be onto the various food stages before you know it. 

Thanks again, Jen. I've been in the grumpy stage. More like having a pity party because I can't eat. Luckily I'm not having issues with lactose. The gassy stomach has subsided, or the pills are working now.

I know my hunger is totally psychological. I would be more than grumpy if I had to smell Mexican food, or worse, see people eating it! Argh!

Staying away from places like that.  In fact, I'm holed up in my house. I'm at four days and it's getting better. The shock has worn off a bit.

23 hours ago, Lankyliz said:

Thanks, Lankyliz!

@CelticGirl Right after surgery, pizza commercials felt like an assault to me.  I was a little fearful of the possibility of "wanting" things I had just had surgery to help me stop eating them.  I stopped watching tv for awhile because food seemed to be on every channel! 

I think that was when I started to realize all of the places in my life and thinking that I had allowed food to be a focal point...often socially accepted food-thinking, but way too much thinking about and focus on food.  Things like cooking shows, farmers markets, baking, dinner club with friends, scrolling around on yelp, making huge family meals, collecting cookbooks.  Once I was post-op I started to greatly reduce food thinking and activities and replace those with other things, which has been fun as my ability to be more active has increased. 

It doesn't feel like a loss anymore, like it did right after surgery.  Today being knowledgeable and interested about food is very acceptable and even admired but it was not healthy for me and it was a way for me to avoid taking control of my health. 

Once I had surgery, I really wanted to capitalize on the honeymoon period, so I think I sort of guarded or protected it.  So far, a year out, I am still experiencing reduced cravings and am still able to lose weight, but you hear about how that sometimes changes for people so I wanted to make the most of this period of time, using it to make permanent changes.  It is not difficult at all for me to not eat bread, pasta and sweets at this point.  Salads, apples, yogurt and cheese are still very satisfying to me both from a taste and a fuel standpoint.  But I think all of this comes as you evaluate how you are feeling as you encounter different food situations after surgery and process the "why" of those feelings for you personally.  I have purposefully changed the role food plays in my life and it is no longer controlling me.  This has been very empowering.  Like I said above, I used to be afraid of the possibility of wanting something that I maybe was going to choose not to have anymore, but I'm no longer fearful of that. 

One of the phrases I sometimes tell myself if I start to feel a tiny bit deprived or left out because maybe everyone is eating ice cream and I'm not is, "You've already had more than your share of ice cream for a lifetime; you're done."  Does that mean I'll never have it again?  I don't know, but I'm not interested in having it any time soon.

Bottom line - embrace the mental process that goes along with the physical process.  Use it to set a course for yourself for both short and long term success.  I didn't mean to write all this, but the mention of pizza commercials caught my attention as I remembered how impacted I was by them right after surgery!

Edited by kayak19

On 6/22/2018 at 12:28 AM, Lankyliz said:

I grow peppermint and better still, spearmint - just for making tea.  It's my favourite drink.

31 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I grow peppermint and better still, spearmint - just for making tea.  It's my favourite drink.

Ok i never thought of that ...garden centre ahoy ..cheers wise lady

51 minutes ago, Lankyliz said:

Ok i never thought of that ...garden centre ahoy ..cheers wise lady

Be warned, the peppermint especially can spread a lot so give it room.  Alternatively, grow it in a big container.

Both mints can be dried or frozen for use out of season.

Check out places like eBay for seeds and plants of other varieties of mint.  If you just search "mint" it'll bring up a good variety to choose from for a couple of bucks.

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

Be warned, the peppermint especially can spread a lot so give it room.  Alternatively, grow it in a big container.

Both mints can be dried or frozen for use out of season.

Check out places like eBay for seeds and plants of other varieties of mint.  If you just search "mint" it'll bring up a good variety to choose from for a couple of bucks.

Thankyou x