Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Pureed Stage: Seafood Salad with Tilapia

Hi all, 

Wanted to share this recipe as an alternative to tuna salad.  I'm not a huge fan of anything canned, as canned usually means more salt, and I really need to be careful with sodium amounts.  You can pay more to have them keep the salt out though!!  Plus, canned = required additives to keep it fresh, and well... I'd rather have fresh as in just-made-fresh, not half-life fresh if you know what I mean.  I've made both tuna salad and this variety and I find that the flavor of Tilapia is wonderful if poached a certain way.  Plus it's got better Omega-3's or something like that.  Anyway, give it a try!

** NOTE - this makes a pretty big batch for a small stomach,  but I could eat this stuff every meal so this is what I made - that and my fiancee likes to eat my sleever foods heheh, so that helps.  It will keep in the fridge for a good week but you may wish to cut the salad and fish ingredients by half.  I would keep the poaching water ingredients as-is, just use less water.

INGREDIENTS FOR POACHING WATER

About 1 lb Tilapia or your choice of white fish - Tilapia has a firm texture that works well here, and is inexpensive

1 medium carrot, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

1-2 stalks celery (depending on size), chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, rough chopped in slices

About 1 inch of ginger root, sliced into 3 slices

1 small lemon, sliced, or the juice of (can use concentrate to equal 1 small lemon)

1/4 cup Fennel, diced, OR 1 tsp Fennel seeds crushed in a mortar/pestle

1 tsp dill weed, dried or fresh (chopped)

1 tsp basil, dried or fresh (chopped)

Enough water to cover fish (about 4 cups should do)

INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD

1/2 cup Light Mayo

1 cup plain Greek yogurt

1/2 tsp Dill weed, dried

1/2 tsp paprika (smoked would be great here if you like that flavor)

1/2 tsp onion powder

Celery Salt and Pepper to taste (1/4 tsp works well)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Pat the Tilapia fillets dry and chunk the fish up by slicing along the dark strip along the length of the Tilapia fillets to separate the thin half from the thick half.  Cut each half into 4-5 chunks.  Separate the thinner pieces in one bowl, keep the thicker ones in another.

2. Add remaining ingredients including water to a large pot and bring to a boil.  Boil for 10 minutes on high.  After 10 minutes, reduce heat to medium and add a cup of cold water to stop the boiling.

4. Strain the cooking liquid into a regular size pot and return the pot to the stove, discarding the solids.  The herbs will likely not get filtered out - this is ok.

5. Bring the liquid to a very gentle simmer on medium and then drop in the larger fish chunks.  Don't let the water reach a rolling boil or the fish will overcook and fall apart!  Set your timer for 10 minutes.  When you get to about 6 minutes left, add the thinner pieces as these will cook faster than the large pieces.  Once done, remove fish with a slotted spoon or strainer ladle and set aside to cool.  Discard cooking liquid.

6. Once cooled, pulse the fish in a food processor until finely ground and empty into a large mixing bowl. 

7. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. 

Chill overnight or enjoy right away, the flavors will really meld well on the second day.  Yum!

Edited by Drew

Hmm, I don’t like fish, but have been eating a lot of shrimp.  I can see shrimp and imitation crab for substitute and not pure just leaving it whole and chopping the crab smaller.  I used to love the deli seafood salad but it’s high cal. So haven’t eaten it in over 5 years..

gonna give this a try..

Edited by Cheesehead