Drew

New sleever introduction

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm about 3 weeks 3 days post-op VSG, on my first week of pureed foods, everything's going perfectly from what I can tell!  The procedure had zero issues, Dr. Thomas Jones with Methodist (Mpls MN) did an amazing job and the staff were nothing short of wonderful.  By the 3rd day home I was mostly able to take full breaths on the spirometer (still ached a bit though) and the bandages were off by the 3rd day, tape was off by about the 6th day and by about a week in I was fully mobile, but slow of course.  

Following all the dietary recommendations I've been able to hang in there, and I never really had a food addiction to start with so not being able to eat like I was wasn't a problem for me (still isn't), even though yeah it was a bit annoying to see pizza and not have pizza, but at the same time my appetite for a lot of things has changed a bit.  No longer craving buffets and making sure I get my money's worth when I go to a restaurant - not that I've been to a restaurant since the surgery - but the desire to go doesn't seem to be there anymore and at times I prefer to just have liquids instead of solids.

One thing I noticed happened to me was when I hit 300 I plateaued drastically.  For probably 8-9 days I bounced between 302-304, but one thing I wanted to suggest to people that might experience the same thing is not to worry about that.   The initial weight loss happens before your body is able to adjust and say 'woah' and throw on the metabolism brakes.  You're basically in a starvation state during the liquids/full liquids phase due to such low calories, and even in pureed your intake is way under your body's calorie threshold of 'normal'.  I think that's a minimum of 800-900 calories for most people.  As you get closer to that, you'll actually start losing weight faster, so the slowdown's expected!  Don't get discouraged.

Pureed is a nice change but it takes me at least 30 minutes to finish 1/3rd a cup of pureed tuna/chicken/fish salad, probably more like 45 minutes.  And I have to say, what a nice change of pace (pun intended)!

- Drew

weight.png

Edited by Drew
Adding ticker

Welcome, Drew :) It sounds like you’re getting the hang of it. Eating is a long, slow job for a while, but as long as you keep up with your protein goals, you should be fine. You’re absolutely right about the stalls: they happen, they’re nothing to worry about, and your body will take its own time to lose weight, but it will happen! 

Best of luck in continuing your success! 

Welcome to Thinner Times Drew!

Welcome to Thinner Times and to the Sleeved Life!! Congrats on beginning your new gloriously healthy life!!

Welcome! So far, so good!

Welcome!  We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.  

Welcome and well done amazing start