EMHMaine

100 pounds gone!

Today I hit goal, plus I have officially lost 100 pounds! I'm thrilled with my results and continue to work hard at staying healthy and happy! 

These photos are a year apart. 

IMG_3590.JPG

Congrats, you look very nice and happy !

Look at you!!!! Just amazing. And in only a little more than eight months!!! Can you tell me of your struggles along the way?

Not much more I can say than you look stunning - congratulations!

Victory! You look fabulous! I hope you feel great too!

Gorgeous!

I actually had to check your stats after seeing your before photo as well. While I can see that you were large, you didn't look too bad at all at that size. I guess my eyes are so used to seeing much larger people these days as so many more seriously obese people seem to be around.

Beautiful! <3

looking AMAZING!!!!  Job well done!!! :)

Beautiful, glowing, confident, healthy. Congrats on all your success! -100 is a serious milestone :) Pat yourself on the back and keep doing your thing!

On 6/4/2018 at 2:38 PM, Aussie Bear said:

Gorgeous!

I actually had to check your stats after seeing your before photo as well. While I can see that you were large, you didn't look too bad at all at that size. I guess my eyes are so used to seeing much larger people these days as so many more seriously obese people seem to be around.

I had my height as my advantage, but I was a size 22 last summer and currently am a size 12 so definitely a big difference. :)

On 6/4/2018 at 8:44 AM, Anita62 said:

Look at you!!!! Just amazing. And in only a little more than eight months!!! Can you tell me of your struggles along the way?

Sorry it has taken me a few days to reply .... the kids have all returned home from university and life has once again become chaotic, but exciting! 

I appreciate your question because it has made me stop and really think about my journey. It has been such a whirlwind the past nine months that I haven't often stopped to truly think through the steps that have occurred. Here are some thoughts.

Physical struggles: 

I was EXHAUSTED for five weeks after surgery. I could barely do anything and this was frustrating and seemed like five years and not five weeks. Literally putting a load of laundry in the washing machine would tire me out. I was concerned and feeling regret. After a few calls to my physician and some more blood work, they switched up some of my vitamins and I began to come around to my normal self. Exhaustion after surgery seems to last at varying lengths for different people and I probably was just impatient to get through that stage, but I was truly worried that I would never recover from it. 

I learned the hard way that not eating/drinking in the morning (because I didn't feel hunger) is a BAD idea. In November (2 months post op) I went to an early bird sale in my community. Since I only planned to be there for an hour, I figured I would eat/drink when I got home. I ended up fainting at the counter, hitting my chin as I went down and luckily I was not seriously hurt. An ambulance was called and nurses who were in the store (the store was packed with people, ugh) helped me. Totally embarrassing and a big lesson learned! I was able to return home and did not go to the hospital.

Emotional struggles:

I seriously mourned the loss of my "comfort" .... being able to turn to food for emotions. When I was able to eat again after the liquid phase, some things tasted so good and I was frustrated that I couldn't eat more of it. I switched to eating on smaller plates so I would visually not feel so deprived. This issue has gone away and I am content eating smaller portions and not using food as my crutch. My brain will still try to persuade me to celebrate with food, but I just brush off the idea. 

I worry about regaining the weight. I doubt this worry will ever go away. I have my "team" to help me stay focused .... my amazing family, close friends, a counselor, a personal trainer, once a month massage and a private nutritionist I now see every three months (the one at my Dr office was too busy and was too hard to schedule). Reaching goal is very unfamiliar territory for me and I don't know how it works. Losing weight has always been "where I'm at", not at the correct weight, so this will be a learning experience coming up.

Edited by EMHMaine

I so relate to you!!! Thanks for sharing your daily battles. My mind keeps saying once I reach goal I'm eating a bag of Cheetos!! I want this feeling to fade. I would be so proud of myself if I never eat another Cheetos!!! I'm taking my new diet seriously to learn only to eat three times a day and one snack(protein shake). This is my life goal!

3 hours ago, EMHMaine said:

Losing weight has always been "where I'm at", not at the correct weight, so this will be a learning experience coming up.

My mind struggles with this daily! After a lifetime of working so hard st losing weight, maintaining is a really weird goal. I still get excited when I wake up to weigh myself, but I have to give myself a high five for just staying the same, which feels so unfamiliar. I suppose it will get easier as time goes by - my identity is changing slowly.

3 hours ago, EMHMaine said:

the kids have all returned home from university and life has once again become chaotic, but exciting! 

SO what did they think when they saw you?  Even seeing pics isn’t the same as seeing someone in person. My parents are coming home for the first time in 5 months or so, so I’m anxious to see what they have to say when they see me. 

On 6/4/2018 at 8:04 AM, EMHMaine said:

Today I hit goal, plus I have officially lost 100 pounds! I'm thrilled with my results and continue to work hard at staying healthy and happy! 

These photos are a year apart. 

IMG_3590.JPG

Sorry I missed your posting when first put up. Wow and wow. And now for  maintenance, a different mind set ... Congratulations on hitting goal, you look great!

On 6/7/2018 at 12:39 PM, CheeringCJ said:

SO what did they think when they saw you?  Even seeing pics isn’t the same as seeing someone in person. My parents are coming home for the first time in 5 months or so, so I’m anxious to see what they have to say when they see me. 

My family is thrilled with my change and I think at times, it catches them off guard. As everyone knows, the change happens so quickly that even close family/friends have to do a double-take at times when I walk in the door! The other day, , my 20 yo stopped and looked at me and said, "Mom, you are so pretty." :)

On 6/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, EMHMaine said:

My family is thrilled with my change and I think at times, it catches them off guard. As everyone knows, the change happens so quickly that even close family/friends have to do a double-take at times when I walk in the door! The other day, , my 20 yo stopped and looked at me and said, "Mom, you are so pretty." :)

Truth be told,   I occasionally do a double-take at times!!!  I don’t recognize me thinner either!!!

And your 20 yr old is right, you are so pretty!!!

Edited by CheeringCJ

I love your posts! First of all, congratulations on your incredible milestone!! SO fantastic!

Secondly, thanks so much for posting your struggles as well. They are very enlightening and helpful to those of us on our way down. Your insightfulness and honesty is so great. Please keep us posted on your continued journey. I already have alot of fears of the maintenance part. I'm assuming any difficulty is buoyed by the fact that every step of every day feels so much better in your healthy body!

And you are so pretty! :)

On 6/16/2018 at 9:21 AM, Cindy Lou Who said:

I love your posts! First of all, congratulations on your incredible milestone!! SO fantastic!

Secondly, thanks so much for posting your struggles as well. They are very enlightening and helpful to those of us on our way down. Your insightfulness and honesty is so great. Please keep us posted on your continued journey. I already have alot of fears of the maintenance part. I'm assuming any difficulty is buoyed by the fact that every step of every day feels so much better in your healthy body!

And you are so pretty! :)

Thank you!

Wow, just wow.  You have really transformed yourself into a much more healthy person in less than a year.  Your success is both amazing and inspirational to us all. :)

On 6/7/2018 at 8:45 AM, EMHMaine said:

Sorry it has taken me a few days to reply .... the kids have all returned home from university and life has once again become chaotic, but exciting! 

I appreciate your question because it has made me stop and really think about my journey. It has been such a whirlwind the past nine months that I haven't often stopped to truly think through the steps that have occurred. Here are some thoughts.

Physical struggles: 

I was EXHAUSTED for five weeks after surgery. I could barely do anything and this was frustrating and seemed like five years and not five weeks. Literally putting a load of laundry in the washing machine would tire me out. I was concerned and feeling regret. After a few calls to my physician and some more blood work, they switched up some of my vitamins and I began to come around to my normal self. Exhaustion after surgery seems to last at varying lengths for different people and I probably was just impatient to get through that stage, but I was truly worried that I would never recover from it. 

I learned the hard way that not eating/drinking in the morning (because I didn't feel hunger) is a BAD idea. In November (2 months post op) I went to an early bird sale in my community. Since I only planned to be there for an hour, I figured I would eat/drink when I got home. I ended up fainting at the counter, hitting my chin as I went down and luckily I was not seriously hurt. An ambulance was called and nurses who were in the store (the store was packed with people, ugh) helped me. Totally embarrassing and a big lesson learned! I was able to return home and did not go to the hospital.

Emotional struggles:

I seriously mourned the loss of my "comfort" .... being able to turn to food for emotions. When I was able to eat again after the liquid phase, some things tasted so good and I was frustrated that I couldn't eat more of it. I switched to eating on smaller plates so I would visually not feel so deprived. This issue has gone away and I am content eating smaller portions and not using food as my crutch. My brain will still try to persuade me to celebrate with food, but I just brush off the idea. 

I worry about regaining the weight. I doubt this worry will ever go away. I have my "team" to help me stay focused .... my amazing family, close friends, a counselor, a personal trainer, once a month massage and a private nutritionist I now see every three months (the one at my Dr office was too busy and was too hard to schedule). Reaching goal is very unfamiliar territory for me and I don't know how it works. Losing weight has always been "where I'm at", not at the correct weight, so this will be a learning experience coming up.

Hi @EMHMaine I just had VSG on Monday and I can’t tell you how inspirational your post is to me! Especially the part about how you mourned the loss of your “comfort” and not being able to return to food for emotional needs. I am so encouraged by your success. I have about 100 lbs to lose so I know it won’t be quick but I certainly hope I have the same success as you have had! Please keep posting your experiences now that your]ve reached your goal! And most of all, CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done!!!:D