Michael_A

The power of negative memories

On 6/10/2018 at 8:16 AM, Nana Trish said:

I truly hope this gets easier for you with time

Trish don't get me wrong, in almost every area of life, life is SO much better for me. I am so happy right now. I was just surprised to find that things like the tray table experience, and for you car seat belts, are a thing. And how deeply it was burned into me. But hey if that's the only area of my life that something like that exists, then I consider myself blessed :-)

1 hour ago, Michael_A said:

Trish don't get me wrong, in almost every area of life, life is SO much better for me. I am so happy right now. I was just surprised to find that things like the tray table experience, and for you car seat belts, are a thing. And how deeply it was burned into me. But hey if that's the only area of my life that something like that exists, then I consider myself blessed :-)

I agree...very well said, @Michael_A! Our minds are strange, for sure. The things that trigger bad feelings and memories seem so random at times, especially when we feel so much better. But some things will always be burned into our memories I guess. 

That's such a great story, thank you for sharing it!

It's crazy, probably my biggest NSV is the same type of thing. Rarely was I more painfully reminded of just how big I was than when flying. I have to travel a lot for my career and I always dreaded being on the plane. Not because I am afraid to fly but because there was always the risk of the seatbelt not fitting, I'd be stuck in the middle seat, the seats were especially narrow, etc... There was one time when I couldn't close the seatbelt and hid the fact from the attendant just so I wouldn't have to ask for the extender. My hips were always squeezed and the arm rests dug into my sides.....not fun. Fast forward to my first trip post WLS. I nearly cried (and I'm not a public cryer) when I had significant slack left on the seatbelt and my sides didn't come anywhere near the armrests. I took a picture of the seatbelt! People probably thought I was crazy.

1 hour ago, Jabsie said:

That's such a great story, thank you for sharing it!

It's crazy, probably my biggest NSV is the same type of thing. Rarely was I more painfully reminded of just how big I was than when flying. I have to travel a lot for my career and I always dreaded being on the plane. Not because I am afraid to fly but because there was always the risk of the seatbelt not fitting, I'd be stuck in the middle seat, the seats were especially narrow, etc... There was one time when I couldn't close the seatbelt and hid the fact from the attendant just so I wouldn't have to ask for the extender. My hips were always squeezed and the arm rests dug into my sides.....not fun. Fast forward to my first trip post WLS. I nearly cried (and I'm not a public cryer) when I had significant slack left on the seatbelt and my sides didn't come anywhere near the armrests. I took a picture of the seatbelt! People probably thought I was crazy.

I love this!! It’s great to be brought to tears for a happy reason, isn’t it?? It’s happened to me a few times either after a doctor’s appointment or leaving a clothing store after fitting into something I never thought I’d be able to fit into! I rarely fly, so I don’t have that to deal with. But even the chairs in the doctors office, a restaurant booth, etc, are no longer a source of anxiety for me :) (well stadium seating still is, but I’ll get past that eventually)