KYGUY

New and a little confused

I had my bariatric sleeve surgery 4 and 1/2 weeks ago and still very confused about what I should and should not be doing, what to eat, what not to eat and how much. I had my surgery at a V.A. Hospital and they are not the greatest about communicating with us veterans.

Hello and welcome to the forum. It seems like each surgoen has their own idea of what we should eat, when we should exercise, etc. I did find some of the info here useful and I hope that you will as well.

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-big-gastric-sleeve-diet-guide/

Congratulations on your surgery. Stick around and ask questions. There are many vets here that are happy to help.

@cinwa, I remember Jolls had a great post about what to eat during the various food stages. I looked and searched but couldn't find it. If it pops back up would you please pin it?

Thanks. I did 2 weeks clear liquids and 2 weeks full liquids and just started puréed foods but not getting a lot of guidance on what to purée and amounts.

@KYGUY

Search the Forum for the Tufts Medical Center diet guidance - @Res Ipsa usually posts it. It is excellent (my surgeon who moved from Tufts to Mt. Auburn hospital in the Boston area was one of the authors, as I recall). Very clear, very easily understood goals, and 

Keys are protein intake (at least 60 grams a day, more may be better) and adequate fluids. This doesn't change over time. I'm 6'2 (6'3" on a good day) and my nutritionist wants me to eat 90 - 100 grams of protein a day. 

At this stage do remember that being cleared to try pureed foods doesn't mean that you will immediately tolerate all pureed foods.  You may find something that you really can't tolerate now but in a week or two will be okay.

I found that I enjoyed eating green pea or lentil 'soups' - I buy frozen peas, cook them in chicken broth, then blend them. I can pick mint from my garden or add a few drops of hot sauce and really enjoy it; my family likes pea soup every once in a while too. Same with the red-orange lentils, they cook quickly and break down and need almost no mechanical pureeing. It's also easy to add a small amount of a diced meat you like and include it in the puree if desired. Other advantages are these are inexpensive; high protein and high fiber. If you have not been visited by the Constipation Gods you are lucky, and if you have been visited, the fiber is ... a godsend. My son is vegan and I enjoy cooking lentils and rice for him, I just eat the lentils. 

Hope one of these may work for you...

11 hours ago, Stephtay said:

@cinwa, I remember Jolls had a great post about what to eat during the various food stages. I looked and searched but couldn't find it. If it pops back up would you please pin it?

Is this the thread Stephtay?   

@KYGUY I totally recommend the Tufts guide @Res Ipsa posted above. So much so that I did not follow my hospital’s diet plan. I followed this one to a T. I didn’t get a ton of information about my diet from my hospital but I wasn’t too bothered. 

Congrats on your WLS and thank you for your service.  

On 5/30/2018 at 5:58 AM, cinwa said:

Is this the thread Stephtay?   

YES - thank you!