mizzwillis

I had my bypass removed

Hey Yall from Texas,

I had gastric bypass in 2010, i lost about 60 lbs and was doing well.  over time i started getting sick from eating beans and leafy things such as lettuce.  Long story short May of last year i had to have emergency surgery and the bypass was removed.  I ended up losing about 6 feet of twisted intestine which is an actual/possible complication of having surgery.  Since then my metabolism has slowed down to a hault and im not losing any weight.  I hate going to the doctor and they are telling me that I need to watch what I eat .. thats frustrating considering I still have the same habits and eat out the same bowl, like eating 4 ounces.  every year im going to have get a CT scan to make sure im not getting more blockage or another obstruction.  

keep up with your body and what it tells you.. for about a year i lived on gas x and beano thinking i had everything figured out.  i went to the doctor and he said i was okay i just didnt have enough bad bacteria to break down the beans.  

Wow, that's quite the cautionary tale. I guess it's always a good idea to keep after the doctor if you feel like something is wrong. 

I hope you're feeling better now, and I'm glad you got through that surgery OK. Best of luck recovering and figuring out what you can/should be eating all over again.

I'm sorry you went through that mizzwillis.  Have you tried probiotics?  They're live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system.

Gosh. Sorry to hear about what you've been through. I am 13 years post op doing well now... but the malnutrition nearly killed me... two years in bed, clinical depression... no energy. Bypass can be hard. We read all about it when we decided to sign on, we didn't understand any of the side effects could ACTUALLY affect us, because we wanted it so badly and were willing to take the risks. There was actually a time I would have fought to save someone from this surgery... but now I'm healthy again, VERY! And would recommend it to others... just be sure your will is strong enough to fight through whatever may come you way.  By the way "good for You... hang in there, this too shall pass."

hello all! thanks for the kind words.  I am doing better and trying to learn my digestion system all over again.  i may go vegan or try clean eating .. something thats easier for my stomach to digest.  I will keep you all posted. 

@cinwa yes, ive tried a few things. I am currently scheduled for an endoscopy to make sure everything is okay, i may require one yearly.