Rager2Sharp

What are some fun or new things you can do now that you have lost the weight?

I'm just starting this process with my 6 moths of supervised weight loss and have lost about 20lbs so far. Unfortunately i cant really tell a change, and i don't normally until i hit at least the 50lb lost mark, so i need some things to look forward to while i wait/work lol. We all have our own motivators for losing weight, but i want this to be more about experiences than a number on a scale or smaller pants size.

I live in a town that has a theme park, and I'm excited for the day i can buy a yearly pass because I'm able to fit on any ride i want.  

If you've gotten to goal or close, what are some fun things you have done that wls has made possible? or what are some things you are still dreaming of doing?

Edited by Rager2Sharp

@Rager2Sharp

Mostly movement: walking, cycling, swimming, hiking; capacity to swim for an hour, ride a bike for two, without fatigue, exulting in the supple light of the morning on a forest path while biking near a river...

And crossing my legs. Definitely crossing my legs. Every time I cross my legs and the top one just dangles - -  I smile!

I actually ran for the train today and made it!!!  I passed some people along the way and they didn't make it. I'd have been them last year, but the new me can hustle. Granted my heart rate was up, but I didn't feel like I was dying and I keep going till I got down the four flights of stairs to the platform!!!  It's the little things that seem amazing that stirke me as an "attaboy, you got this!!!"

I am at my goal weight and here are a few:

Going into a room full of people and not having people judge me for being overweight. 

Being active without getting hot or out of breath. 

Being able to buy attractive clothing anywhere, and not having to pick clothing that I think will not make me look overweight. 

Knowing that I will live a much longer and healthier life - which means much more time with my wonderful spouse and children. 

Being able to sit in any chair without worrying that it might break. 

Flying on a plane and knowing that I will easily fit into a coach seat.

Not having unhealthy food dominate and destroy my life.

I can join my husband in the water on scuba diving vacations (2 a year).  If I drop something I can pick it up without feeling like I’m going to pass out.  I can squeeze into tight spaces.  I can garden (BIG garden) without sitting down every 5 minutes.  I can slide down slides at the playground with my grandkids.  

Its the everyday things that make it great!  Being normal is fun..

of course buying cute normal sized clothing is a perk..and I agree 100 per cent with what Res Ipsa said!

Edited by Cheesehead

11 hours ago, Rager2Sharp said:

I'm just starting this process with my 6 moths of supervised weight loss and have lost about 20lbs so far. Unfortunately i cant really tell a change, and i don't normally until i hit at least the 50lb lost mark. We all have our own motivators for losing weight, but i want this to be more about experiences than a number on a scale or smaller pants size.

I live in a town that has a theme park, and I'm excited for the day i can buy a yearly pass because I'm able to fit on any ride i want.  

If you've gotten to goal or close, what are some fun things you have done that wls has made possible? or what are some things you are still dreaming of doing?

Thanks for posting this question. I am looking forward to being able to do new things once I lose the weight. Especially not sweating soooo much!

I'm going to the doctor for a check-up tomorrow and I don't have to worry about getting weighed! 

I'm with @BurgundyBoy about crossing my legs. I can pretzel wrap my top leg's foot around the back of my bottom leg when they're crossed.

I care about fashion and shopping is now fun (a little too fun, trying to keep that in check). 

I'm going on vacation tomorrow, a really active vacation that I never would have been able to do a year and a half ago. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also not worried about being squeezed into the airplane seat.

I enjoy getting my picture taken.

I can swim! In public! I avoided that for years because bathing suits. I love swimming. 

I go hiking a lot. It's fun instead of exhausting and terrible.

I actually like going to the gym. It's my number one hobby now instead of watching TV. Well, I do watch TV on the treadmill, I guess...

I feel confident about my appearance and this makes me a happier person. 

I don't have that awful nagging hateful voice in the back of my head telling me I need to lose weight every minute of every day. Frees up a lot of mental space.

I love and respect myself. 

12 hours ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

Thanks for posting this question. I am looking forward to being able to do new things once I lose the weight. Especially not sweating soooo much!

Nope, one switch gets turned off (the sweaty one) and a new one instantaneously gets turned on; the “omg, I’m freezing”.  You may never be sweaty again.  80 is my comfort temperature!  

Some kind of silly, random things:

-easily doing a cartwheel. I remember trying to do one when I was heavy and it was so awkward and hard. I was goofing around with my kids a couple weeks ago and they wanted to see the difference between a round off and a cartwheel. I did both, effortlessly. I kind of freaked me out how easy it was.

-wear my kids clothes. Now mind you, my kids are normal/skinny kids who wear typical sizes for their ages. A couple of weeks ago, my mom was visiting and accidentally put one of my 8 year olds shirts in my closet (a kid’s size 7/8). Half joking, I decided to try it on. It fit!:blink: it was a little on the short side, but totally fit. I’ve also borrowed their jackets and regularly share sweatshirts with my 10 & 11 year olds. 

A lot of the other things I love have already been mentioned. Being able to walk around in a swimsuit without feeling self conscious, easily finding clothes that fit, riding amusement park rides. WLS has been such a blessing and gift for me. I’m SO happy I did it.

Ride a horse without pitying the poor creature.

Get off the floor without having to crawl on my hands and knees to the nearest piece of furniture to grab on to.

5 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Nope, one switch gets turned off (the sweaty one) and a new one instantaneously gets turned on; the “omg, I’m freezing”.  You may never be sweaty again.  80 is my comfort temperature!  

My switch didn't get the memo (yet?). I get colder pretty easily, but I'm still sweating if it's hot! Bleh.

10 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

@CheeseheadI can not imagine what it will be like to NOT sweat!

15 hours ago, Carina said:

My switch didn't get the memo (yet?). I get colder pretty easily, but I'm still sweating if it's hot! Bleh.

Ugh, me too! But I'm willing to say yes to invitations anyway, I used to say no to anything when it was too hot because I knew I would flop sweat, over heat and get light headed. As I long as I hydrate now, I can attend multiple parties at 90+ degree days.

I love being more adventurous in going to new places because I'm less self conscious, I can fit in all the booths and chairs now.

Crossing my legs is also on my list.

Message me if you have specific questions, I see our start weights are in the second range. This board is great support.

I should have added wearing a dress in the hot weather.

As a big girl, my inner thighs would get sweaty and because they rubbed together when I walked, they would get so sore and even bleed.

Such great lists!

I'll see if I can add some that haven't already been mentioned:

I wear dresses and heels nearly every day. 

I can fit in a regular stall in an airport bathroom along with my suitcase. 

I can change clothes in the front seat on the driver's side of my car without moving the seat back.

Things that come in only one size are NEVER too small for me. 

I no longer have to plot my path through a crowded room/bar/dance floor/concert of people to find the spots where I am most likely to be able to squeeze through making the least amount of physical contact with strangers. 

I can take a trampoline exercise class.

More important than all of those is I no longer torment myself riding the crazy food roller coaster of "what to eat? oh I ate too much. Now I feel bad about myself. What is wrong with me? Why did I eat so MUCH? I feel even worse so I'm going to eat more to make myself feel better again. But then tomorrow I won't eat anything to make up for overeating today." <<<< I cannot believe this madness didn't make me homicidal. 

Edited by Stephtay

Some of these may have already been said but they are so significant I couldn't not repeat...I am not at my goal yet, but it is amazing to me how great I feel every day and the things that I'm able to do now.

• not having to read restaurant reviews in order to get a glimpse of their seating before saying yes to eating out
  • being able to lead an active lifestyle with cycling, kayaking, weight training and other types of exercise and activity
  • watching my fitbit steps increase without even pushing to reach higher goals; I'm just moving more throughout my day
  • being able to work in my garden for much longer periods of time and being able to kneel for hours without pain
  • confirmation that I actually have a lot of willpower and determination and whatever else is needed to lose weight successfully
  • the shopping is fun (and a little intimidating at first; good is the enemy of best, we no longer have to buy it in all the colors just because it fit okay)
  • not having to worry about how far I might have to walk if going to a baseball game, going out with friends, going to a work event
  • having energy
  • not having acid reflux or sleep apnea anymore

7 hours ago, Stephtay said:

SEX is better. :)

Stephtay is soooo right. 

SEX is better. :D

11 hours ago, Stephtay said:

What's "sex"?  :lol:

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Stephtay is soooo right. 

SEX is better. :D

11 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Now this is the information I need to know :P

On 5/26/2018 at 1:12 PM, cinwa said:

Ride a horse without pitying the poor creature.

Get off the floor without having to crawl on my hands and knees to the nearest piece of furniture to grab on to.

OOh there are several places close to me that people can ride horses on the beach! I wanted to do it so bad when i was younger, so I'm excited for that!

I'm an elementary education major, and it's so hard when i want to get on the floor with the young kids! I just got done with my kindergarten semester and it was a huge factor in beginning this process. Ill be able to sit on those tiny chairs or get down on the carpet without having to worry about whether i can get back up! 

30 minutes ago, cinwa said:

@Stephtay please IM @cinwa !! She may be really happy to know about this!! :)

Have only lost 80 pounds so far, but I agree... Sex is soo much better haha. Not only that, but I find myself living more - perhaps a near death experience also helped in this department lol. 

My partner and I have finally pinned down a wedding date for Jan 21/2019 on a cruise going to the Caribbean. I have put this off for about ten years because I hate getting my picture taken due to my size. Put off vacations too because of activity intolerance, and money problems because most of it really went to food - sad but true! So yeah, prepare to live more, a fuller, happier, and healthier life ;)

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

@Ladybugzzz86 Yay to getting married! I expect wedding pictures and a kick a$s outfit to match your beauty. Enjoy your time in the Caribbean. By chance, will you swing by Colombia?

I’m thrilled for you.   

14 hours ago, cinwa said:

Sex is something you do to make a baby and only to be “rooster” blocked by said baby. :angry: