tchau

Advice from a 15 year by pass

I spent the last few days with someone who had by pass 15 years ago. She has maintained her loss. I saw her drink wine, eat ice cream and have a couple of mini candy bars over the last few days. I asked her about maintenance, what she eats, exercise levels, etc. 

In short, she doesn't exercise much other than walking her dog. She is 71 and has arthritis. She rarely weighs herself and can tell by the fit of her clothes if she is up or down. Pre-surgery, binging was her issue and post-op she found that if she was too restricted, she would over eat. She drinks lots of water and her meals are protein heavy. But if she wants ice cream, she has it. 1/4 - 1/2 cup in a small cup so it looks much bigger. She keeps mini candy bars around the house and even in her bedroom and said she might have 1 a day. A couple of nights a week she will have a small glass or two of wine. It was interesting to talk to someone who doesn't follow 'the rules' but has created her own and has maintained her loss. She's about 5'5 and my guess is she started around 350 and is about 125 - 130 now. 

Good to know....thanks for sharing. 

36 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

someone who doesn't follow 'the rules'

I think you hit the nail on the head---   she IS following some rules, of some kind. Pre-measured portion dishes for the ice cream, etc. 

I suspect most people get in trouble not by relaxing how closely they follow a plan, but rather by letting the plan go by the wayside, period.

I'm 6 months out this month and am still learning things, every day. Thanks so much for posting your experience and observations of your friend.

I guess her own version of "the rules" works well for her! That's great, and it's good she has such good self-awareness. We should all be so aware of what our triggers are and how to circumvent them. Thanks for posting :) 

Thanks @Stephtay. I appreciate the things you post.

I am 7 1/2 years out (gastric bypass) and weight has stabilized 125-130 the last 2 years or so (my start weight was 240 - my lowest was108 - way too low did not look good!). 130 is the highest I feel comfortable at, I know what to do to get those 5 pounds off again. It is much harder maintaining now BUT so doable.  I go up and down the same 5 lbs and I am ok with that.

I now have different eating habits - what I hoped for when having the surgery.  Following the rules so strictly for the first 3 years or so after my surgery has imbedded better eating habits in my every day life.  I do not think of them as rules anymore, I don't even think about the rules anymore to tell you the truth,  I just know what needs to be done.  Now don't get me wrong sometimes I still "battle" with myself and have those days where I do over eat a bit BUT I move on and get right back on tract!

I still do not eat white bread, pasta, or rice and no fried foods (except French fries).   I can pretty much can eat anything now (just because you can does not mean you should !) but portion control is key and I can still say NO!. 

Mon-Fri, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack stays pretty much the same every day.  Weekends (or vacations) is where I go off "tract".  If I want ice cream I have ice cream BUT the difference now is I can have a serving size and be satisfied, also I will get a no sugar added or low fat. Before surgery I would eat a whole pint in one sitting. I might have a few French fries when I go out to eat, I also have low fat chips and so on but again only on the weekends and wil be a sat or a sun NOT both days.  The key is the change in eating habits - have a bite to satisfy you and STOP!  I also still exercise - I never thought that after 7 year I would still be gong to the gym.  I just do 35 mins of cardio 2-3 times a week and strength training 1-2 times a week.

Here's to still going strong!

1a.jpg

7 hours ago, Lori88 said:

I now have different eating habits - what I hoped for when having the surgery. 

Thanks for posting, Lori. It sounds like you, too, have found a system that works well for you. That's exactly how I hope things go for me - just having new eating habits. It sounds like you've found a really nice balance between having a few indulgences and keeping the pounds at bay. Good for you! :) 

@Lori88, thanks for the awesome post and photo! Congratulations on making WLS work for you! 

@Lori88

Thanks for the post - good for us to hear about how the Adults maintain themselves. 

@Lori88 Thanks for sharing your story. Stories like yours and @Stephtay‘s friend give me hope that I will maintain this lifestyle. 

On 5/22/2018 at 12:51 PM, Lori88 said:

and so on but again only on the weekends

This has been really helpful to me as well... Plenty of times I want something that shouldn't be a normal part of diet, but I always tell myself "not right this second, I can eat it tomorrow or in two days" or something like that. So it's not like there is any kind of food that I can't have. Just a ton of things that I shouldn't be eating more than once or twice a week. So on Monday I might say"I really want these cookis, but I'm going to wait and have them on Weds". Sometimes I really look forward to it for those two days and Weds comes and they are tasty! But sometimes Weds comes and I no longer have the craving for them. So much of my overweight was caused by wanting something, and just going out and satisfying my desire for it.