Hi all, just been doing some reading here the last few days. Mainly for the support aspect. 

I had bypass on 5/17/18 and am on the liquid diet until Saturday 5/26, where I start 2 weeks of puree. It's like being a baby all over again. Lol. I'll be on a 6 meal plan once I progress to puree and then for life. 

So, basically I started this journey in January at 365 lbs. I went in to surgery at 300 lbs after a couple months of a 1600 calorie practice diet and 28 days of preop VLCD "liver shrink". That's the fastest I have ever lost weight and somewhat difficult to maintain. 

I've been up and down over most of my adult life, being around a low of 300 lbs 2x and a high of 365 lbs 3x in the last 18 years. That was my max. It had become increasingly difficult to lose the weight, and honestly, I joke that it was extremely difficult to only be that fat; constantly trying to make healthy choices, only drinking water, exercise, etc. 

I have sleep apnea (diagnosed 2006), hypertension (2010), and am pre-diabetic. I smoked for 20 years, switched to vape low nic in 2016, and quit completely in February. In addition, I have watched my father's weight slowly kill him over the last 15 years. He has had no life what so ever and I know that's my future. 

With that said, I'm nervous and hope I made the right decision. It was very difficult, and reality has set in that this is forever and there's no turning back, even if I want to. 

Anyhow, my surgeons said not to Google anything, all plans are different. Lol. I have every intention of following my program as best as I can. I've been using forums related to my interests for 20 years and have met a lot of good people, including a good handful of life-long friends. I intend to continue this on my WL journey. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Delvryboy and congratulations on your recent surgery!

28 minutes ago, Delvryboy said:

With that said, I'm nervous and hope I made the right decision. It was very difficult, and reality has set in that this is forever and there's no turning back, even if I want to. 

"I have watched my father's weight slowly kill him over the last 15 years. He has had no life what so ever and I know that's my future". 

I was in a similar situation - my mother died because of her morbid obesity so I think your statement about your father must help your concerns over your decision to go forward with your surgery Delvryboy.

My father died of morbid obesity too young .

I think when its so new it' easy to worry I did too but three months on I love the control I have over my over eating habit. 

It' all a learning curve you have to follow and enjoy and you will ...

Welcome, @Delvryboy! It sounds like you've done all the ground-work necessary to make lifelong changes in your pre-op days, so congrats on that. Having RNY was the best decision I've ever made for myself - I'm so happy with the way it's allowed me to change my entire relationship with food. I hope you experience the same kind of success I've had. 

Doctors are extremely wary of online support (probably for good reason, I've seen some wacky stuff on other boards), but this is a great community: well-informed, sensible, friendly, positive, honest, and always there for people who need help, whether that's information, advice, or just emotional support. And there are great role-models here, too - ones that have lived sensibly post-op for years and who are happy to help out when newbies need support.