Jenn42606

I messed up royally

So I quit smoking on May 1st and my surgery date is June 27th. I am going thru some personal stuff and I bought a pack of cigarettes this morning and have smoked 4 cigarettes. Should I post pone my surgery? I have to do the nicotine lab work and I'm afraid that because I've already smoked I might as well just post pone it. I'm lost and going thru it right now. I'm scared that it's going to show in the test and to be honest all I want to do is smoke. I'm so lost right now. I guess I just need an ear. I dont know. 

If you are ready to commit to a healthy life, throw them out NOW.  There is still time to clear the nicotine from your system in time for surgery.  The length of time depends on what kind of test they do (blood vs. saliva vs. hair) but a blood test is negative 10 days after last cigarette. 

It's time to take charge. Most people who undergo this major surgery do so because they want to be healthy.  Smoking is not healthy (which you already know) so you need to be willing to commit to not only changing your eating and activity but also to ending your nicotine addiction.  To be successful postop it helps to develop new coping skills; something to turn to when you can no longer turn to food , or cigarettes.  This will be especially important for you because you will be giving up 2 coping strategies, albeit unhealthy ones. 

Maybe you'll decide that you're not ready to commit and that's OK.  If that is the case; if you're just not quite ready to commit to a permanent change in how you manage stress (because there will always be "stuff") then you're probably better off to cancel the surgery and work on that first.

I'm sorry you're struggling and hope you will be good to yourself.  You deserve to be healthy!

4 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

So I quit smoking on May 1st and my surgery date is June 27th. I am going thru some personal stuff and I bought a pack of cigarettes this morning and have smoked 4 cigarettes. Should I post pone my surgery? I have to do the nicotine lab work and I'm afraid that because I've already smoked I might as well just post pone it. I'm lost and going thru it right now. I'm scared that it's going to show in the test and to be honest all I want to do is smoke. I'm so lost right now. I guess I just need an ear. I dont know. 

That's why it's called an addiction. Sorry to hear this. My wife quit smoking over 30 years ago and still has the occasional dream about smoking to this day. Smoking causes a dopamine release, which is a common mechanism to smoking, overeating, cocaine, a bunch of addictive things that end up goosing your brain chemistry. Some people say that starting to do something new that causes dopamine release, like exercise, may be helpful. 

@msmarymac is right that you'll need some robust coping skills. I think stopping smoking is harder for most people than the weight loss stuff but all of us are different.  If you stop with the 4 cigs you've already smoked then it'll most likely wash out of your system before the labs are done a few days before your surgery. 

You're not the first person to face this. It can be overcome, maybe you need to develop a new response to these stress cues... for example gum, something else you can put in your mouth, ... or eat celery and get a stress ball to roll around in your hand and massage. 

You are now 20 lbs below your starting weight. That is a real accomplishment. Think positive things, walk around the block, and throw the cigs out. 

Ugh. Addictions are really tough to kick, but it will be sooo worth it! Did you say you're in Carlsbad? I'm in Oceanside. Hit me up when cravings are bad, and we can go on a walk or get coffee or something. 

7 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

So sorry you are going through this and I totally get it.  I took a urine test and I think it would go back 2 weeks. You and I are pretty close in stats and I am telling you this is the best thing I have done for myself. I would not have been able to lose the weight I have lost so far to on my own .  It came down to this for me, cigs or losing weight and that was a no brainer for me. You will feel so much better all the way around. 

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this I can't speak to smoking directly, as I've never been a smoker. But addiction, is addiction, is addiction. I know I still, one year out from bypass surgery, deal with my food addiction...every day. Some days it feels insurmountable, and the weight of it seems insurmountable. But you are more than your addictions. You have the strength to get through this...you can, and you will! Like @msmarymac said....once you commit to change, you can do it!! It takes a TON of willpower, and a lot of whit knuckling it through strong cravings, but that's what we are here for!! Lean on us when things get bad...we are here for you!!! More often than not, coming here and talking things out before you fall off the wagon truly helps to derail those cravings. Just remember, we are here to help!! Smoking is evil, and goes against everything right that you are trying to do to get healthy...and can cause serious health complications post op. Hang in there, girl...we've got your back!!! Come here to vent the next time you want to smoke!! It really helps!

Edited by Nana Trish

On 5/17/2018 at 12:10 PM, msmarymac said:

If you are ready to commit to a healthy life, throw them out NOW.  There is still time to clear the nicotine from your system in time for surgery.  The length of time depends on what kind of test they do (blood vs. saliva vs. hair) but a blood test is negative 10 days after last cigarette. 

It's time to take charge. Most people who undergo this major surgery do so because they want to be healthy.  Smoking is not healthy (which you already know) so you need to be willing to commit to not only changing your eating and activity but also to ending your nicotine addiction.  To be successful postop it helps to develop new coping skills; something to turn to when you can no longer turn to food , or cigarettes.  This will be especially important for you because you will be giving up 2 coping strategies, albeit unhealthy ones. 

Maybe you'll decide that you're not ready to commit and that's OK.  If that is the case; if you're just not quite ready to commit to a permanent change in how you manage stress (because there will always be "stuff") then you're probably better off to cancel the surgery and work on that first.

I'm sorry you're struggling and hope you will be good to yourself.  You deserve to be healthy!

Nicotine last for only 10 days in your system if you were a heavy smoker for almost 20 years? I have to do my labs tomorrow. I told on myself and they said it's ok we know its hard to quit smoking. They said to just do the lab work at my visit to the hospital. Wish me luck. 

On 6/12/2018 at 5:59 PM, Jenn42606 said:

Nicotine last for only 10 days in your system if you were a heavy smoker for almost 20 years? I have to do my labs tomorrow. I told on myself and they said it's ok we know its hard to quit smoking. They said to just do the lab work at my visit to the hospital. Wish me luck. 

If you were an intermittent smoker less than a week; an heavy smoker it can be 3 weeks. 

Wishing you luck. Not easy.