2.5 weeks out from RNY. I'm really struggling with the protein. Shakes no longer go down. I ordered some protein soups so hopefully those agree with me. I have always had a texture issue with food!

Today I bought a rotisserie chicken and was so looking forward to eating it. My daughter was using it for chicken tacos so I thought I'd put a tablespoon of black beans on my plain chicken. My stomach did NOT agree. This is the 2nd time I've thrown up. :( I only ate probably 3 beans, the pain is immediate. Feel it under my breast bone and then a minute later up it comes.

Sorry, not trying to gross anyone out!

It's frustrating because it throws off getting fluids in for the day and the protein that chicken would've added!

No need to apologize. We’ve all talked about poo, puke and farting. We are like newborn babies getting used to the outside world. 

I’m sorry you threw up. Are you cleared for solids? 2.5 weeks seems too soon for chicken and beans. I love rotisserie chicken. I don’t eat much meat but I have to admit that rotisserie chicken is yum. That said, I have thrown up twice after eating small bits of rotisserie chicken. I think this style of chicken is too greasy for our new pouches. Rest a day or two and try something new. I know you are at a frustrating stage but I promise that you will find your way. I hope the soups work for you!giphy.gif

I was farther out when cleared for real meat.  Anything shredded took me about 6 months.  While I could tolerate cut and chewed chicken at 5 week or so, anything shredded took longer..

You're right it could be the chicken. I tried a tiny bite and waited 10min and was fine but maybe it wasn't enough to make me sick. I am on the soft/blenderized stage, as my doctors office calls it. I've had canned chicken blended and mixed with a dab of mayo and it was ok. Perhaps the rotisserie chicken is not ok with my stomach, though. 

18 hours ago, Rny42018 said:

You're right it could be the chicken. I tried a tiny bite and waited 10min and was fine but maybe it wasn't enough to make me sick. I am on the soft/blenderized stage, as my doctors office calls it. I've had canned chicken blended and mixed with a dab of mayo and it was ok. Perhaps the rotisserie chicken is not ok with my stomach, though. 

This seems very early to me to eat solid chicken. Being cleared to try eating solids is not the same as actually being able to eat the solids.  Maybe you could shred the rotisserie chicken and see how that goes. As I recall I had some pulled pork at about your stage but could only handle a tiny bite. 

You'll get there. I bake crispy chicken legs fairly frequently and had one last night along with some black beans with smoky hot peppers. They were delicious. It still takes me a fairly long time to eat the solid chicken because I have to chew everything up more than I did in my prior life.... and am measuring the interior temperature more with a thermometer, since cooked chicken is more tender than OVERcooked chicken. ;)

I appreciate this group so much! Today I'm feeling like a big failure. Last night the chicken made me sick. Today I ate a protein bar and ended up on the toilet for 20min. :( I am probably trying it too soon but since I can't choke down a protein shake I am trying other things to get in my protein. It's like I keep forgetting that I have to pay close attention to what I'm eating. I can barely get 30gm protein in with regular food alone. 

54 minutes ago, Rny42018 said:

I appreciate this group so much! Today I'm feeling like a big failure. Last night the chicken made me sick. Today I ate a protein bar and ended up on the toilet for 20min. :( I am probably trying it too soon but since I can't choke down a protein shake I am trying other things to get in my protein. It's like I keep forgetting that I have to pay close attention to what I'm eating. I can barely get 30gm protein in with regular food alone. 

Sugar alcohols in protein bars can really do a number on you. Sorry that happened.

I'm sorry you're having some problems with food. I'd like to gently suggest that you're maybe moving through food stages too quickly - chicken and protein bars might be a few weeks or more away for you yet. At 2-3 weeks out, I was still eating only mushy stuff, like Greek yogurt, applesauce, Eggface's Ricotta Bake, cottage cheese, refried beans, and shakes. You need a lot of protein, so if the shakes aren't working for you for whatever reason, you should probably get some unflavored protein powder to mix in to other stuff (soup, yogurt, etc). You're going to have a really hard time getting the protein you need from just food right now, so it's important to find a source that agrees with your system. Any time you have an "episode" with your stomach, it's a good idea to retreat back to the previous food stage (or further back!) for a day to give your stomach a chance to rest. It's healing and needs some time, so pushing it to deal with something difficult is not going to make you feel better. 

Best of luck. There's a steep learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it eventually :) 

12 hours ago, Rny42018 said:

....... I can barely get 30gm protein in with regular food alone. 

At less than a month out, I doubt that there's be many who could make a dent in their protein requirements from food alone.  My programme had us on 2 protein shakes a day at your stage.  That alone gave me a protein intake of 62g/day.  

18 hours ago, Rny42018 said:

Chicken was the worst for me, still makes me uncomfortable even now.  My surgeon doesn't have a "pureed" stage so was cleared to try softer solids about your time, what worked for me were anything made of ground meats, especially anything with sauce or gravy, meatballs, salisbury steak, sausage gravy things like that. Granted I was only able to take 3 bites, but those 3 stayed down vs the 1 bite of chicken that came right up.  They like to recommend chicken breast because the protein to calories ratio is high, but if you can't tolerate it find something you can.

Have you tried a soft scrambled egg?

On 5/18/2018 at 8:45 PM, tracyringo said:

Have you tried a soft scrambled egg?

Yes, I'm able to eat scrambled egg, cottage cheese and string cheese without any problem. Those have been my main sources of protein the last couple of weeks.

There is also protein water.  15 protein and 0-1 carb, Costco sells it and there are several types on Amazon.  Unsweetened applesauce, greek yogurt that is under 20 carbs and 12 or more protein is also good.  Did your bariatric group give you any type of a list of foods that you can try as the weeks go along?

On 5/17/2018 at 5:34 PM, Rny42018 said:

I am probably trying it too soon 

Yes, you are trying it too soon. Your pouch is still healing, don't push it. My dr. said don't worry too much about protein goals in the beginning it is more important that you don't advance your foods too soon. Focus on your fluids and let your pouch heal.