Ellexus

New, Nervous, and Pre Op

Hey Guys!
My name is Ellexus and i am new to Thinner Times.

I have been going back and forth with the idea of bariatric surgery for the past year, and i finally decided to go through with it.

Yesterday i had my initial visit with my surgeon and nutritionist. As long as my pre op testing goes well i should be all set for surgery in a few weeks.

I am anxious, but really excited.

Any tips or advice that you guys have to help with the adjustment process or ease nerves?    

Welcome! Don't be shy about asking for something for nerves. My surgeon gives everyone xanax for the two nights before surgery and the day of. I think you'll be so glad you did this. Put your nervous energy into planning for success (get junk food out of your house, read everything you can on here, make your room a peaceful place to recover, start good habits like taking walks & not drinking with meals & cutting out sugar & carbs...).

I appreciate the advice, i hadn't even thought about making my room a good recovery space.
It certainly needs a good cleaning. 

( also your hedgehog is super cute) 

Welcome to Thinner Times Ellexus!

2 minutes ago, Ellexus said:

I appreciate the advice, i hadn't even thought about making my room a good recovery space.
It certainly needs a good cleaning. 

( also your hedgehog is super cute) 

Thanks!

Hi @Ellexus

Nerves are normal. Everyone has butterflies about surgery, even elective surgery, but let your head rule your heart when it comes to the nerves. Risks of a vertical sleeve are now less than the risks of an elective removal of your gall bladder. 

1. Be sure you have a social support network in place around you, to cheer you on or give you a gentle push when needed. This online Forum can help a lot. Who will pick you up after surgery, who will you call if you need a bit of help? 2. The predictors of long-term success, besides social support (#1), are sticking with your dietary Plan, having your psych issues addressed, and at least a wee bit of exercise. If you think about each of these you should do fine. The success rate for this surgery is pretty high if these supports are there. 

Am sure others will comment on this, but there are some things you can do to reduce your stress after the surgery - some people only weigh themselves once a week (to avoid having their mood go up and down as the daily scale moves), others focus on the health benefits they want rather than a target weight reduction. It's hard to know what your "right" weight is after surgery. I somewhat arbitrarily set a weight of 185 for myself but have achieved all of my health goals despite not reaching that weight, so I am a very happy soul. 

It's the best thing I have ever done for myself.  

Welcome! I hope the path ahead is a smooth one for you. Being a little anxious is totally normal - focus on the excitement part of your reaction to alleviate that a bit. Making a list of all the things you're looking forward to can be helpful (health outcomes, physical feats, clothing victories, etc). Also, watching WLS blogs on YouTube is reassuring. Chemistry Queen and Milla K are two that I like a lot. 

Thank you for your advice. 
I really appreciate your advice for reducing stress post op.

1 minute ago, Jen581791 said:

Welcome! I hope the path ahead is a smooth one for you. Being a little anxious is totally normal - focus on the excitement part of your reaction to alleviate that a bit. Making a list of all the things you're looking forward to can be helpful (health outcomes, physical feats, clothing victories, etc). Also, watching WLS blogs on YouTube is reassuring. Chemistry Queen and Milla K are two that I like a lot. 

I hadn't thought of checking out blogs previously, so i really appreciate you mentioning it!

I'll check them out! 

Welcome to the forum, @Ellexus! We are very glad to have you here and will support you through your journey.

I am just 6 weeks out from my surgery and do understand the nerves. Just try to keep yourself preoccupied and get through it. You will be very glad that you did.

Question. Your stats look like you only have 23 pounds to lose. Is that correct?

Welcome xxx happy times aheadxx

@Ellexus Welcome to the forum and congrats on making a courageous decision. You’ll be thrilled afterwards when you start seeing the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. 

I only have a few words of advice. Don’t read alarmist blogs with titles such as ZOMG bARRIAtic SURGURY DOSEN’T WORK!! FAIL!!1! :lol: Many these folks are people who don’t understand that you can’t continue to eat poorly and lose weight. Bariatric surgery is a positive experience and you can continue to make it positive by avoiding negative bloggers. We are a friendly bunch at TTF. People are encouraging and realistic. At times people may give you tough love but never with malice. We want you to be successful, healthy and most of all happy. 

All my best to you  

57 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

ZOMG bARRIAtic SURGURY DOSEN’T WORK!! FAIL!!1!

I think I read that one, too... <_< 

18 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I think I read that one, too... <_< 

My favorite remains the YouTube video of someone who had a sleeve talking about how the surgery "failed"... and they were eating a bag of cheese doodles all the while. ;) With no sense of how their eating habits sabotaged their success. 

You can sabotage weight loss surgery by mindlessly eating a lot of small portions of food for emotional reasons, without being hungry. Just out of habit. 

@Ellexus About 90% of successful WLS is mental and in your head. Surgery re-routes your plumbing and greatly reduces true physiological hunger, but does not cure bad habits, bad attitudes, emotional eating, or the like. A lot of us have "head hunger" or the desire to eat something when were are not really hungry - it's an emotional thing. That's why it is so important to figure out how to stick to your Plan, have your emotional / psych issues addressed (not cured, but addressed), and have social support. The great thing about WLS is that even with all of us people with bad habits and only average willpower, IT WORKS. 

I have always snacked at night... and can't eliminate the habit completely - so now I actually have WLS friendly foods as my snack in the evening, like almonds, when in the past it would have been a whole second dinner by the time I was done. The way I can stick to my Plan and deal with my snacking habit is to snack less and more healthily rather than not snack - the habit is deeply ingrained. You'll just find your own way to modify or eliminate unhelpful behaviors without necessarily telling yourself that something is bad or evil...