Rager2Sharp

Sleeve Surgery, Recovery, ... Stairs?

Hi all! I'm new to this process, and am having my first meeting with my surgeon tomorrow 5/16/18. I'm required by my insurance to meet with nutritionist for 6 months and to do a psych eval. like many others so it will be a while before i actually get the surgery. I am in college full time and i wonder if it is realistic to shoot for an early December surgery date.  

My other question is... i live in a two story house where the only bathroom is upstairs. Because of this and the fact that my husband will not be able to take off work to be able to take care of me,  my mother wants me to stay with her wile I am recovering. I would prefer to stay at home if i can, but i don't want to make things harder on myself or anyone else if i don't have to.

Do you think i will be better to stay at home or go to my mother's in order to recover?

I had a RNY but I don't see that there's much difference between us as far as recovery is concerned.

Stairs were no problem - I held on to the banister and took it slowly. 

It's advisable to have someone around for the first day or so.  I didn't need any help with anything but it was good knowing that there was someone else in the house.

25 minutes ago, Rager2Sharp said:

Hi all! I'm new to this process, and am having my first meeting with my surgeon tomorrow 5/16/18. I'm required by my insurance to meet with nutritionist for 6 months and to do a psych eval. like many others so it will be a while before i actually get the surgery. I am in college full time and i wonder if it is realistic to shoot for an early December surgery date.  

My other question is... i live in a two story house where the only bathroom is upstairs. Because of this and the fact that my husband will not be able to take off work to be able to take care of me,  my mother wants me to stay with her wile I am recovering. I would prefer to stay at home if i can, but i don't want to make things harder on myself or anyone else if i don't have to.

Do you think i will be better to stay at home or go to my mother's in order to recover?

What kind of surgery will you be having? Standard laparoscopy? If so usually there is not too much pain after you are discharged especially if you take your meds, and so the stairs issue is not too big. Recently there were some posts on this, I think @Boho Rosy led them (let me invoke her via the Magical @ symbol). Having said that if you were on the more-pain rather than less-pain end of the scale you might do better at your Mom's. (Best part of your posting is the embedded message that you have the support of your Mother!).  You could plan on staying with your Mom and if all goes well then an early return to home. 

Early December sounds possible and can see that given your academic schedule that might be a good time. I would discuss it now with your surgeon so they are aware. My surgeon and her team were able to accommodate my complex schedule in part because they were aware of my time constraints too. 

Also RNY, and my only bathroom was also upstairs.  :)  I had no issue with the stairs - like @cinwa I just held on to the bannister.  I didn't find it too difficult or painful. I was able to do most things for myself on the first day I was home - the only problem I had was that I wasn't supposed to lift anything over a certain weight.  That meant I couldn't do things like... lift a carton of milk to pour it into a glass, move a full pot or pan off a burner.  I also found it a bit difficult to pick up things I'd dropped - bending over didn't so much hurt as it made things feel like they were pulling or shifting in an alarming way.

So I think it's a good idea to have someone around for the first couple of days, just until things settle down with your incisions - just not because of stairs.  

If finals are in early December, I'd schedule surgery for after finals. Pain meds could affect your testing ability. Stairs are no problem. You'll want someone around to help you for the first 2-4 days.

I agree with Gretta about scheduling for after finals. You should be fine to be home with an upstairs bathroom barring their are no complications.  Good luck !!

You'e got six months so plenty of time to prep if you get yourself organised it will help with your options ...loads of protein shakes on here on nibbles to get in ...get three weeks of clothing so you don' need to wash ...try put some meals in freezer for your partner .freeze small broths and purees  for you .

Listen too your dietician and try to adopt the mindset she wants for you . I took 1 multi bit a day for 6 months pre p and made sure I had 2 litres of water a day and healed well.

Leave your options open and see how you feel but I am glad I had someone around the 1st few days x

I met with my surgeon and he said early December should be no problem. My finals are the first full week of the month so as soon as i can get it after I'm finished with testing is my goal. I just found out yesterday two of my aunts are having it done this summer so they'll be good support.

I also found out that by the time I'm done with my 6 months of supervised weight loss the clinic I go to will offer full gastric bypass instead of just the sleeve, which i am so excited for and was what i wanted to begin with (not to say anything negatively about the sleeve). 

The most exciting thing I found out yesterday though is that my dad has made an appointment to talk to a doc. about getting the sleeve. (He has previously gotten the Lapband and has had complications with that.) This makes me so happy, he's also struggled with his weight and has recently really declined in health because of it. I am truly getting worried that he may not be around to meet my kids when they arrive.

If he goes through with it i will almost certainly be staying with my parents to recover. (Part of the reason i was reluctant to stay at my parents was my dad tends to think he knows better than the doctors and tries to "work around" their directions. I didn't want this influencing me, but if he's going to take this seriously I'm much less reluctant.) 

Looks like the menu for this Christmas dinner is gonna be sugar free popsicles  and broth lol

5 hours ago, Rager2Sharp said:

Looks like the menu for this Christmas dinner is gonna be sugar free popsicles  and broth lol

I had my sleeve surgery mid-December in 2014 so it was a little challenging.  But, it was a temporary, minor issue with a glorious result...so very worth it!  Good luck to you!