Tiburonia

Low BMI maintainers: How do you do it?

I'm trying to figure out how to maintain a BMI of 20-21 and am wondering how others are doing it long-term. Thanks! 

I'm not a VSG patient but the same rules apply.

Long term success means pretty much following the programme that got you to where you are. 

It takes a little while to tweak your calories to find your ideal calorie intake based on your level of activity and to that end, I found it important to weigh/measure and record all foods and drinks with calories.

Gastric bypass here, but, so far, it hasn’t been hard for me to maintain at all (I’ve been at goal weight for a year and a half). In the beginning, I watched what I ate pretty carefully and weighed in really frequently, but at this point, my eating habits are pretty ingrained so it doesn’t take much thought. I don’t follow a particularly strict diet (I eat ice cream, bread, pizza, etc just in much much smaller amounts than I used to) and I never use protein shakes (I never found one that was palatable). I weigh myself every couple of weeks or so (really, whenever it occurs to me that it’s been awhile since I stepped on the scale) and I primarily use my size 2 jeans as a gauge. If they start to feel tight, I’ll cut back a little bit. I was working out multiple times a week for awhile (after I hit goal weight), but life got crazy a couple months back and I’ve slacked on that. It all worked out though as working out kept me at a lower weight (between 123-127) that basically everyone but me thought was too low. So for me, the difference between exercising and not is being a size zero or a size two, which really isn’t a dealbreaker for me personally. All in all, maintenance has been much easier than I expected it to be and really hasn’t taken much thought or effort as all so far (knock on wood it stays that way).

I'm at a low BMI (20.5) but just got here a few months ago, so I don't have a proven track-record yet! It's been easy so far, but still early days, so no idea what the future will hold. Right now, I'm still tracking everything like it's my job, I've upped my weight lifting and kept a bunch of cardio in my routine, and I'm drinking tons of water and well reaching past my protein goals every day. I'm hoping that those are all things that will see my through. I teach and I've got summer vacation coming up, though, so I'm hoping my awesome habits don't go out the window like they usually do during the summer <_< 

I'm looking forward to hearing more wisdom from people who've been at GW for longer than me. Thanks for asking a question that's really relevant to me! :D 

@Tiburonia thank you for starting this thread; like @Jen581791 of intense interest to me since am either at my end weight or close to it.